RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With EVERYTHING going on with the recall, and all of the finger-pointing, etc., it is hard for me to believe or consider the fact that many of us ride motorcycles, or even drive cars at all.

First and foremost, Yamaha makes some of, if not the, best motorcycles on the planet, period. Blanket threats of not purchasing their bikes or products does absolutely nothing to fix this problem. Granted, what is claimed to be a $0.25 oversight on Yami's quality control, is seemingly causing such a stir. I've noticed things going on here that, in my opinion, must be considered.

1) Yami's first attempt at an air-cooled power cruiser, that we all have come to love, actually had a part that failed. Believe it or not, this is not the first time this has happenned - NOR WILL IT BE THE LAST. There are significant examples of parts failing - not due to poor QC, but because something that hadn't been considered before breaks - examples I can cite include NASA, IBM, Microsoft, General Motors, Chrysler, FORD(!) - the list goes on and on. It doesn't mean that we will stop flying the space shuttle, driving our cars to work, creating bigger and faster supercomputers, or using Internet Explorer to view this very website - all given the known risks that we've come to either ignore or live with. Through learning from our mistakes, and correcting them, do we grow.

2) Many people demand adequate compensation. I don't have a problem with that, even though I don't necessarily agree with it. My only question is, what is 'adequate'. I suspect that there will be many responses to this post defining adequate. Unfortunately, they may all be for not if they are not the same or similar. Strength in numbers only matters if the numbers agree. Simply making blanket demands will net nothing in the end. We've asked a legal representative to collect, organize and review information associated with the recall. Whether the next step is to approach Yamaha corp via petition, or legal order, is probably up to the legal team. There are many other legal matters to consider - most of which I am unfamiliar with, or cannot even pronounce. The bottom line here is that those that ask for compensation MUST speak with one voice.

3) We are spending so much time discussing the recall on this forum that, in the end - we are putting focus on what we don't have (a bike to ride, in some cases - again, personal preference), and not enough (IMHO, of course) on what we do have - a great bike. It's very easy to get caught up in the fact that some of us choose not to ride our bikes because of the recall, and how that impacts us - some of us very significantly. I ride with a guy in Norcal (a VERY early member of this forum) occasionally who uses his bike as a daily driver. He really doesn't have an option but to ride his bike daily - as some of you do. When we talked at the Norcal Garage Day a couple of weeks ago, word one of the dangers of the recall DID NOT come out of his mouth. He helped me to realize that this is a great bike. Parts break, life goes on. I say we put a little more time and energy into celebrating the fact that this is a great bike - which is the very reason that this forum was created in the first place. Not to mention, making the lives of those that support and maintain this forum much easier.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Amen Brother Jimbo! I am also SICK of hearing about the recall. It is what it is, get it done when you can, in the mean time MOVE ON.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Now I'm not a god fearing, church going, or praying type person but I have to say
Amen Jimboman Amen
thanks I needed that.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Checked with my insurance company (USAA). They stated that I would not be covered if I had an accident because of the faulty transmission. This, because Yamaha has made the notification to us via the letter. All I want is to ride, but, I can't. I use my bike to get to and from work; I've had to borrow cars, rent cars, miss work, etc., for nearly two months. I might consider riding, but, I have two small children and a wife who depend on me. Yamaha promised the parts would be ready to go at the beginning of February, and, I was okay with that. I would have been okay with any reasonable prediction re: when the parts would be ready. When the parts didn't show as promised, and when Yamaha began giving me the run-around re: when they would be ready, that's when I lost my patience. F 'em. There are plenty of good bikes out there.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
quote:Originally posted by canyon_carver

Checked with my insurance company (USAA). They stated that I would not be covered if I had an accident because of the faulty transmission. This, because Yamaha has made the notification to us via the letter. All I want is to ride, but, I can't. I use my bike to get to and from work; I've had to borrow cars, rent cars, miss work, etc., for nearly two months. I might consider riding, but, I have two small children and a wife who depend on me. Yamaha promised the parts would be ready to go at the beginning of February, and, I was okay with that. I would have been okay with any reasonable prediction re: when the parts would be ready. When the parts didn't show as promised, and when Yamaha began giving me the run-around re: when they would be ready, that's when I lost my patience. F 'em. There are plenty of good bikes out there.

Letter, I didnt see no stinkin' letter.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
One thing I have tried to keep in mind is that it's a small problem that just happens to be in a really crappy place to get at on the bike. As others have said in various ways, there are many things that I worry about more than my transmission MIGHT fail. Around here, Deer for one...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sure we've all heard more than we would like to stomach, and yes, I agree, through it all, Yamaha probably does make the best bike, or at least is a contender. Yeah, stuff happens, but we are being abused and I guess it hits a sour note deep inside actually being rendered helpless. We are dependent on Yamaha. It's not like we can buy the parts over the counter and fix it ourselves. As to those who have no concerns about continuing to ride, I sincerely wish them good luck, and wonder what they will think about their actions if, in fact, it is their bike that freezes. It's about playing the odds, as is, I guess, riding a bike in the first place.

·
Registered
683 Posts
you know i don't like the recall either,i also don't like the fact that the parts are being delayed,but i was told by a man one time ,that when things are bad,and you can't change them,at that point in time suffering is optional.....what i mean is if YOU CAN"T CHANGE THE SITUATION,why spend all your time in misery? it doesn't help you,it doesn't help your family,it doesn't help your friends and most of all i have yet to see it speed up the recall.

threat of class action lawsuits are interesting enough and some would have the grounds for it but in reality it may be that your bike is repaired by the time anything is done.law takes time.i am not saying that its not a viable option,just saying that if you think it will be an overnight success,i really feel for ya.

at some point this recall will be over,and some guys will keep their bikes and ride as much as they can,some will sell or trade up and sad to say some will die.me ......i will be here,riding the best bike i ever owned,talking smack on this forum and ripping up the roads in the northern cali area and a few roads beyond when the mood strikes.

admittedly i occasionally whine about this that or the other as much as the next guy,usually until someone kicks me in the butt to make me see straight,but i have seen enough whining here lately to warrant asking the government for surplus cheese to go with it,most of the time i think its amusing but sometimes its not,and now at least for me,its not fun anymore.add to the mix a few people that like to stir the pot up and you have a recipe for disaster,for those who feel the peer pressure let me just say that misery loves company.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I "love" my bike. I just don't like the way I'm being treated by the manufacturer. I'm taking the only reasonable action I can, that being to spread the word, voice my opinion, and be part of a collective voice.

It snowed here today.
. But the past week, it was in the 60's. If I rode, I risked losing everything my wife and I own, not to mention my health or my life. So yes, riding is a risk. But THAT RISK(losing everything due to a lawsuit) is one I didn't purchase when I bought my bike. If I hit a deer, I'm not going to be sued. If I hit another motorist or a pedestrian, especially if my trans locked up, then I WILL BE SUED, and I will have no insurance protection. That is a risk I do not accept.

No offense meant guys. Forgive me if this post or my signature are irritating. Later,

Gary

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have to agree with boogie man. You can mail letters, send emails, yell and scream at your dealer, hire a lawyer and sue, even start a class action but it is not going to make the main shaft and other parts needed get machined any faster. Yes Yamaha has pretty much botched the handling of this whole matter but who is to say that some other large Motorcycle manufacture would have behaved any differently. I don't like this recall any more than any of the rest of you. My RSW is one of the few things left in this life that gives me any enjoyment and I plan on enjoying it despite the recall. My Rinehearts came in yesterday and I plan on installing them and going for a short ride when the weather permits (12" of snow for today so it will be a while I think). Since my bike only has 525 miles on it I feel reasonbly safe that I can at least ride it to the 600 mile mark so I (or the dealer) can do it's first service. So in short I don't like the recall either but I am not giving up the best bike I ever had just because the cases have to be split for a recall(**** most of you would split the cases in a second for an upgrade [^] ).

·
Registered
63 Posts
CanyonCarver and SpearWarrior appear to be of the minority opinion here. Worse, they seem to be getting labeled as whiners. I am new to the forum, but I have to strongly agree with their perspective on this topic. Granted, "whining" is of no help to anyone and only intensifies misery. I however commend the efforts they have made not to whine, but to inform, and more importantly, to display some leadership. Say what you want, but these guys have taken the time to post valuable facts and contact information. They have also led the efforts to pull a bunch of frustrated individuals together into a more organized group with a voice that might actually get heard. Keep up the good work and don't let the bastards get you down.

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
quote:Checked with my insurance company (USAA). They stated that I would not be covered if I had an accident because of the faulty transmission. This, because Yamaha has made the notification to us via the letter.

Good luck to your insurance company proving that you got that non-certified letter.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No-one is requiring anyone to open up the 'Total Recall' forums. If you are tired of it then
quite reading on it. The facts have been outlined for some weeks and if no-one
cares about it and want to get on with life then go ahead and open up
another forum folder - that's what I have been doing when reading this gets old.
Jimbo, I dig your response but come on man, you threw another log on the fire
you want to put out or at the least see diminished.
I thank Spear Warrior and the like for the info and don't think of them as whining.
It's not as if this is the gas tank recall. How many posts did it get btw???

Regardless of anyone's position I did ya all - Warriors!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kudos to all of you who have posted more information than I can seem to digest right now. Fortunately for me, it's still in the 30s and low-40s up here in Massachusetts and my Warrior is ripped apart for a BAK, PCIII, and Legends FCs, otherwise I'd be dying to ride.What I'm most concerned about, obviously, is when the heck the parts are going to arrive and how long my bike will be waiting in line at the dealer for service. The other thing I'd like to ask everyone, is if you have modified your bike (BAK, etc.) is this going to affect any warranty claim regarding this recall? I mean, if I was a tech, I'd be a little happy, since I don't have to remove the AIS and that goofy ass Airbox, which saves some time. But has anyone run into a dealer who won't touch their bike because it's been modded? Doesn't a recall have to be addressed whether you are out of warranty or not I guess is my ultimate question? Please ignore me if this has been answered before in another post.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts