RS Warrior Forum banner

Recall Lemon law info

2K views 28 replies 25 participants last post by  Spudly 
#1 ·
In most states if your bike is less than 1 year old and under 12,000 miles and has been in for a repair more than 30 days you then have a lemon law case.My dealership is saying April for the repair kits so as soon as my bike hits that 30 day mark Im taking action for my money back or a new bike.....Get an Attorney, I did !

#2 ·
Are you kidding me? Quit overreacting. It's a small problem that they are fixing get over it and ride your bike. Now, I guess if you don't like your bike then this a way of getting a new one. I for one love my bike any am going to ride it until the day it goes in. My shop says it will take a day or two. Then I am going to keep riding it, that's what motorcycles are for.

#3 ·
Amen brotha! Bikes are for riding and if you're not gonna ride it you might as well get your money back. I on the other hand intend on riding mine until they get the parts to fix it. This is the most bit@#n' bike I've ever owned and I don't plan on letting it sit for 30 days at a dealership collecting dust and gettin' all scratched and banged up.

#5 ·
Hmm, well lermdog, there are several members on this site with their bikes basically 'impounded' until they're repaired. My bike is used so I don't really care - I'm riding anyway. BUT, if I had just bought a 2003 and it's sitting somewhere waiting for a kit, yeah I might be a little annoyed by the situation. Annoyed enough to soak someone for compensation. I say if you can do it, give it a shot and keep us posted.

#7 ·
Some aren't concerned about this recall and some are . . . each should do what they want. I think we call that freedom in this country (a disappearing blessing, to be sure). I am one of the members that wants more than what Yamaha is giving. You can check out my bike in the gallery, I've worked hard to "make it mine."

For those of you who think this is a little thing, have fun. But for me, this is a serious matter (insofar as anything connected with owning a motorcycle can be serious). I've got a brand new, factory built engine right now. But after the Recall Rebuild, I'll have an engine rebuilt by a mechanic in a repair shop. To ME, it ain't the same.

Ride on or Stand and Fight. Each person must choose for themselves.

#8 ·
I intend on riding until the parts are reasy to be put on the bike. If my bike was "impounded" I would be ready for a fight. I take pride in caring and mainting my rides. I have 235,000 miles on my 1991 Dodge Dakota truck (aka Old Betty). It is all original and still runs great no matter what time of the year it is. I am not looking forward to some goon messing around with my ride. If I was to install HP parts then I would prefer to do it myself. Your're right, it just ain't the same!!

#9 ·
I am with Spear Warrior, this thing is serious to me. I don't plan on any legal action but I did write a letter to Yamaha expressing my displeasure. If my new car had to sit until April the dealer would give me something to drive until my car was repaired. Yamaha is big company they can do more than what they are doing.

#10 ·
i plan on riding my bike until i can get it fixed also. but i do believe that their is a serious case when it comes to recalling a automobile and not being able to fix the problem that is serious enough for yamaha to say stop riding the bike. i know yamaha is just covering their butts, but they should be able to reopair our bikes sonner than later. what if this was our only mod of transportation, and our bike did lock up?

#11 ·
Im going to keep riding my warrior too, (when i swich off from riding my riding FJR), besides like some of you guys, i wasnt planning to put in at least the HC pistons till I was done with all the external mods, now i get them installed for free.I would really like to have done it myself as i too have built many, many engines from the gasket up, but **** it aint no deal to install new pistons and rings, they got to put in new rings any way, the rest ill do myself for sure.Dont sweat it.

#12 ·
I too am of the opinion that out bikes should be repaired sooner rather than later. I mean I have had a recall on a car and it was just a matter of making the appointment and taking it in for the fix. I AM dissapointed in that fact that we have to wait for parts, I dont think that is kind of Yamaha. At this time it is 17 outside with snow on the ground so I am not riding anyway like some of you in other parts of the country (u lucky), but if I have to have the fix done, I would rather do it now while the bike is just sitting. On the flip side, I get to take advantage of the down time and include some mods I wouldnt have done otherwise. So, all in all, I am giving a little to get a little, trying to make the best of what the situation is. But I have to say, seeing as how I am purchasing additional OEM parts, it would be nice if Yammi stepped up and showed more appreciation seeing as how they are getting additional revenue for THEIR mistake. ME?...Given the chance, I will ride until I can get it fixed. Those of you getting the repairs now, more power to you! I am envyous (spelling?) Those of us waiting, for parts or because of a personal decision, you have to what YOU think is best and I'm kewl with that. Good luck every one.

#14 ·
I e-mailed Yammi customer service people directly today. I told them that there were a lot of unhappy Warrior owners out here and suggested that they visit this site to see how unhappy eveyone was. The best answer they can give me is that it will be the end of Feb/early March before any kits arrive. They have to get the parts from Japan. They have no reason to lie to me since I work for the manufacturing side of Yammi(sorry only golf cars, Rhino's,ATV's and Watercraft). If they have no objections, I'll post direct numbers and e-mail addresses for everyone to respond to. The people telling me about the lack of parts are not the customer service people you get when you call them. I'm as unhappy as the rest of you and I've only had my warrior for a week!

#15 ·
even if yamaha was willing to give me a new '04 in exchange for my bike I wouldn't do it. Why? cause I have about $4k in parts and accessories into my bike. Even if they were willing to swap out a new '04 engine with mine, I wouldn't do it. Why? Cause I'm up grading to a 108 big bore kit and am jazzed about having a new stronger, faster machine. All in all, am pleased with the recall and am making lemonaid out of it. Till all the parts are in I'm riding the warrior like I stole it.

#16 ·
I'm trying to figure this out, I know most states are different, but I thought the lemon law stated that the "vehicle" had to be taken in to the dealer multiple times for the same problem, and none of these times was the problem fixed. WITHIN a 30-day period. This recall is a factory authorized deal, meaning it's not some problem you've had multiple times that hasn't been fixed yet. So I don't believe the lemon law will actually apply. At least this is the way I understand how the lemon law works. Heck, atleast you guys have bikes to ride and weather to ride em, it's 10deg here, and my bike is at the dealer brand new with 4 miles on it, and according to the recall, the dealer isn't supposed to even let it be picked up until the recall is done.

TmbrRtlr

#17 ·
I got my bike in right away. It's a 2003 W/ 4000 miles and to tell the truth I'm taking advantage of it being apart. I ordered my pistons, cams,springs and clutch spring when I took the bike in. I got off the phone today W/ dealer tech said all parts are in except recall parts. He said good thing I ordered when I did all parts are now on back-order. Recall parts due in two weeks, said the 5th gear replace will prob/ work and would sell me the set at I-X show price 15% off. **** sure glad I read this web site cause while some of you complain about it and drag your feet I got my parts so I should say thank you for delay. When the snow is gone I shall ride my warrior just like I intended only a little faster than others!

#19 ·
Warryder, I did the same. I started hunting down a speedstar kit. Got lucky and found a dealer that had one on the shelf they wanted to get rid of. I picked it up for $1800.00. Local dealer is going to install it for $400.00 during the recall. Can't beat that with an ugly stick.

#24 ·
Spear, I know you've heard this, but for the rest of you who are upset about the recall parts not being ready right now:

If I understand the recall correctly, they will be replacing gears in your transmission. They are recalling ALL 2001-2003 bikes with "road star" in the name. In case you don't get where I'm going with this.....THAT'S 3 FULL PRODUCTION YEARS' WORTH OF GEARS!!!

They do not keep spare gears on a shelf for 3 years' worth of bikes, and even if they had, the ones on the shelf would be quarrantined for the same problem. You can all sit around and talk about how the delay is unacceptable, but that will not accelerate the process of having 3 full years' worth of gears being manufactured. The worst part of it is, the new ones will probably take twice as long as the first ones did, because I'm sure the QA requirements have doubled.

The more time I spend thinking about it, the more I'm glad to know it's taking them several months to get these things out because it SHOULD take at least that long. Oh sure, they could farm the work out to a 100 different places and have them done in a matter of days. They could bypass all their vendor standards and increase their supply chain. But trust me on this, guys, you do not want that.

I am as frustrated as everybody else is with this recall. If you want to take advantage of the lemon law and unload your bike, go ahead. I can't fault you for being a little gunshy about this. If you want to complain to customer service and ask for some sort of compensation, I'm even ok with that. As for me, I'm going to take advantage of the free labor to have a freshly rebuilt engine that runs much better than factory.

If we're still debating this in August, then I may be lining up with you to unload my bike and having some good crow for dinner, but a couple of months is a very fast turnaround for a large-scale manufacturing operation. Anything less would be irresponsible.

#26 ·
quote:Originally posted by ezas

http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/state_laws/index.htm

In california it states that EITHER four repair attempts, or the 30 calendar days to repair are the conditions that can qualify for the lemon law. Ohio law says ANY of four conditions can qualify you. Florida says EITHER...

Will be interesting to see what happens if someone decides to pursue this.
According to the quoted website, motorcycles are specifically excluded from the lemon law in the state of Florida. They do not qualify under the definition of "Motor vehicle".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.