RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now negotiating for the purchase of an 04 that is on the showroom floor at my local dealer. My question is this: If I get the VIN number from him how can I use this to determine if it a.) needs recall work. b.) is a member of a serial number group in which the propblem is fixed at time of production and therefor no recall would be necessary?

I could just ask the dealer if it needs recall work, but since he wants to sell me the bike I am sure the asnwer will juts by a slap on the back and "heh fella, no problems, not to worry, did you bring your checkbook for the deposit on this baby?...."

-raisindan

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
the '04 is not part of the recall. No need to worry. Don't forget your checkbook. and welcome to the insanity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks for the info. And,... yes, I did remember to bring my checkbook so I am now "an owner". Later, after a few miles and time to think, I will post my thoughts on the bike. I just sold an FXDX (Harley Super Sport) that I was really not very happy with. I only owned it for 8 months, and was disappointed, as I thought the bike would be much more than it was, but that is "another story" as they say..

-Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK on the '05s, but here in CA the dealers will not discount on new yr model. I have a deal on the 04 at $10,400 (12,000 out the door!) which is very good for this part of the country.

But maybe I should have spent the extra money as the '04 is NOW DEAD at 132 miles !!! It just stopped running (It behaved just like it was running out of fuel, sputtered to a stop and would never restart).. So after a long wait at the side of the road for a tow truck it is back at the dealers. I will post details later under a sperate topic after the cause of the problem is known.

I will say, however, that the bike was a real screamer for the first 132 miles! LOL !!!

-Dan

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
umm, did the fuel light come on? Did it run out of gas? Hope it's something simple. good luck.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
yep, that is about the max range of the Warrior on a full tank of gas. Sounds like you ran out of gas...

or

if you did refuel, one of your gas quick disconnects could be loose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did refuel at 75 miles. Oddly it only took 2.5 gals, which I thought a little weird. When the tow truck showed up I used some of his Jerry Can and topped up the tank, but no luck. After the bike sat there for 15 minutes or so, I was able to fire it up once. I got a couple of twists on the throttle and the engine sounded very healthy, then just sptuttered again and died, this time pretty much for good. At that point I decided to just load it on the truck and get it into the service shop.

I think that the bike may have been sitting around at the dealers for a long time before I bought it and the gas jellied and clogged the fuel filter. That is just a guess, but we will see when I get the phone call from the shop.

I was going to begin mods on the bike very soon, but this has changed my mind about that. I will leave it "box stock" until the warranty runs out. I am not going to take a chance.

-Dan

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Sounds like one of the gas quick disconects isn't in all the way.

There is one underneath the seat. The other is behind the chrome scoop on the left side. Dis-engage the quick disconnect. Reinstall quick disconnect. You should hear or feel the connector 'click'.

The dealer or factory ...when assembling the bike, probably didn't click one the quick connects all the way.

Also very common when someone (especially newbies) works on his bike. Whenever they take the tank off or work around the left scoop, neglect to reinstall the gas quick connects correctly. Has happen many many times on this board with members.

After owning a Warrior for awhile, you'll probably check them at least twice whenever you work on the bike.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If you want to do a favor for the Warrior community, get that thing dyno tested once it's broke-in. I swear that you'll want these numbers once you are to a certain level of insanity. Everyone want's to compare their stock numbers to what they have now, but they got too insane too quickly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
quote:Originally posted by REDHORSE

Sounds like one of the gas quick disconects isn't in all the way.

<snip>

Holy crap you guys are good! /emoticons/emotion-2.gif I just happened to have some problems when restarting my bike after it's been warmed a bit. I read this thread, took off the seat, pressed down on the disconnect. Guess what ? It snapped neatly into it's position. Gah! Cured!

Thanks!

-M

1 - 13 of 13 Posts