RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder what the members of this forum think about pulling your own engine and sending it to a qualified Yamaha dealer and have them do the recall and either PR or OE kits installed and shipped back.
Do some of you have the skill to do such a thing I belive if you can install a BAK such as Barrons or simular you can do it.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif][/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
263 Posts
JAYT, I asked my dealer that very question, and he said that he'd rather have the bike start to finish to make sure everythings right, and being a mechanic myself I know how he feels. It would be a real drag to put your motor back in and then find that you had to get it transported back to the dealer to get some problem fixed, and I'm sure they wouldnt pay for the hook. My two pennies. Cliff

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Neck,I'm thinking about the people who dont have a dealer or don't trust the one in their area.
this dealer says they will pay shipping if their is a problem.
What kind of mechanic are you will you be doing your own recall?

·
Registered
263 Posts
JAYT, Im a heavy equipment mechanic, have been for over 25 years. I wouldnt mind pulling my own engine, but I'm inclined to do what the dealer wants to keep him happy, besides i'm #14 on his list of 20, he should be pretty good at the bikes by the time he gets to mine. I'm seriously considering the cerillo rods when they split it down.
However i'm still on the fence about the 108 kit, the bikes already faster than any Hog i've come up aginst, but the rods would give me a little piece of mind when it comes time to raise the RPMs. If I understand correctly, your a dealer yourself, how do you feel?
Talk to you later Cliff.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My dealer told me they need to ride the bike so it needs to be hole when I take it in. I wanted to do some work on it and just drop the frame withe the trany in it and they said no dice!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
This bike is easy to work on. I will like to replace the 5 gear and pinnion and some head work too. This depend on who do the trans mod first and how many days took for the replacement kit.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by The Neck

JAYT, Im a heavy equipment mechanic, have been for over 25 years. I wouldnt mind pulling my own engine, but I'm inclined to do what the dealer wants to keep him happy, besides i'm #14 on his list of 20, he should be pretty good at the bikes by the time he gets to mine. I'm seriously considering the cerillo rods when they split it down.
However i'm still on the fence about the 108 kit, the bikes already faster than any Hog i've come up aginst, but the rods would give me a little piece of mind when it comes time to raise the RPMs. If I understand correctly, your a dealer yourself, how do you feel?
Talk to you later Cliff.
You seam to be happy with your dealer and by the time he does a few bikes they should be good at it.
you wont need the rods unless you are really going to turn high rpm
or going really big on bore size a 108 with cams & head work would easy be enough to take a vrod a 108 kit alone would give a vrod all it could stand,assuming you had Bak & propipe,powercommander[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:Originally posted by XXXWARRIORXXX

My dealer told me they need to ride the bike so it needs to be hole when I take it in. I wanted to do some work on it and just drop the frame withe the trany in it and they said no dice!

That is the policy of a lot of dealers because they do not build engines on a regular basis and perfer to test ride their work and ck for mistakes before they give it back to you.
How ever if you know what your doing that is not nessasary.
Who ever installs the engine would have to do the shake down run.
PR,OE,S&S and many other companys build engines and not bikes all the
time.
If you have a good dealer that is where you should take your bike
with out question.[8D]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts