RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I emailed my local dealer who have verified that according to the VIN my bike is one that the recall for tranny would apply. Advised that I should check the headstock, which I have done, and can see no marks. I have only used this dealer once before several years ago, and wasn't happy with the outcome at the time. If it turns out the recalls are due, I would like to obtain and supply the relevant part myself to do the gearing change as mentioned elsewhere in the forums. I have also noticed some oil misting around the gearchange input shaft to the gearbox (oil seal?), which could be done at the same time.

Can a UK member suggest a really good dealer that they have used themselves, rather than blindly submitting my bike to my local dealer again?

Any advice as to how easy it is to get them to do the gearing 'upgrade'?

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
I would contact yamaha directly and ask them from what i've read it can be a real nightmare getting dealers to honor recall work oversea's. I also hope you realize to do the tranny recall you need to dismantle and split the case on your motor. This is not something for the home garage mechanic to attempt special tools are required. The gearing upgrade is a roadstar 5'th gear

·
Administrator
28,191 Posts
Corvar, I expect your Warrior is a UK import and as such you'll have no trouble getting recall work done. Having been involved in helping others in this, it seems to me that Yamaha pays for recall work done when the bike is in the country it was first sold into.

In my view the trouble today with the transmission recall work is that many of those technicians who were factory trained to accomplish the work have moved-on to other jobs and the trick seems to be in finding a dealer with a technician having the training on this specific task, or a similar task like a transmission repair. So looking for a dealer means talking to the technician and that is hard to do except by going there.

It seems to me that fewer members mention getting free labor to add HC pistons or the R* fifth gear while the bike is apart anyway. Dealers seem to want to sell the parts at full margin eating-up a lot of the savings. Bring your negotiating skills.

If you discover that your Warrior was not first-sold in the UK let me know and I can help you find out what country it was first-sold in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for the very prompt replies. The information I had from the previous owner is that the bike was originally imported to the US (Colorado) then exported to the UK, though I don't yet have anything to back this up. This might complicate the process, but I imagine Yamaha are still significantly responsible somewhere along the line. No doubt there will have been other discussions elsewhere on the forum about this.

I had a feeling this issue of 'competence' or maybe confidence on the part of the mechanic (and therefore my confidence in him) might be a big factor. Guess it needs some research if I can get the work agreed to be done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's done just over 7000 miles, and seems to be working ok. First registered according to what I have in Jan 2002.

·
Administrator
28,191 Posts
If the bike was first sold in the USA and then exported to the UK then its up to Yamaha UK to decide but you should get approval from them in advance to avoid unexpected liability for payment. In all cases I've helped with, in the end Yamaha refused to pay for the recall unless the bike was returned to the country it was first sold into. I don't understand why.

Your bike should have a VIN on the frame neck like the one below. The 10th character is the factory model year. If its a '2' its a 2002 build, and if its a '3' its a 2003 build, etc. For others following along, I believe the 2010 Canadian Warriors are 'A' and probably the 0211 New Zealand Warriors are '9' as they are reportedly 2009 models but this is unconfirmed.

The trans recall effects 2002 and 2003. From our Total Recall forum:

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
There is ABSOLUTELY no question as to where you should go for your recall work.

Skellerns Yamaha of Cheltenham.

They are the best and most helpfull dealership I have ever dealt with.
They are knowledgable about the warrior and will organise the whole thing prior to your journey up there.
I stayed in a B&B for a night, to allow for an early start when getting my CPS recall done.
I was recommended to them by a few other warrior owners who have had their recalls done there too.
Obviously the gear recall work might take more than one day (I don't know) but all I can say
is the cost of a short stopover in a B&B in exchange for the peace of mind of getting a good job done is well worth the small costs involved.
You can't risk getting a monkey to do the job - just 'cos he has a shop nearby!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that. I have contacted Skellerns and they will get back to me. I hope it is something that can be done under the recall system, otherwise the situation wouldn't make a lot of sense, as it's a safety issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to Skellerns, it was first sold to the US. The full vin code is: JYAVP14E32A003769. I think I'll plan to put my virago back on the road temporarily, till this is sorted out. Be silly to have one of the bikes that the transmission did disintegrate on and end up dead.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it turns out via a very helpful guy at Skellerns who contacted Yamaha US for me, that the transmission and fuel tank recalls are done, but not the cps nor the tps. Will get them done sometime. I need advice on crash bars/highway bars now, as have dropped it twice now...doh!

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Skellerns are the biz.
Stand fast - they will get it sorted for you.

Not sure about the crash bars - the only ones I've seen were on ebay and were pretty ugly TBH.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts