RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the bike on Monday for 4,000 dollars and with 4,001 miles. I was kinda wondering why it was so cheap. Well on the way home the fuel light comes on. No big deal, just fill the tank up and carry on. 1/4 mile down the road and the Fuel Injection (looks like a car check engine) illuminates. So I think WTF. Pull over and check the oil level and that is cool and the bike is still running so screw it, try and get it 20 or so miles home. The light turned off and on a couple times.

The next day I am thinking, gas went bad, an injector issue from sitting for a long time. I go out to the garage the next day and it smells like raw gas. So I called Yamaha about the 4 recalls and see which have been done. Do that, and the guy tells me that the TPS and Fuel damper recalls haven't been done, but the fuel damper recall expired. Go by the local dealer and the manager tells me the same thing, but ordera the TPS recall parts. I left dissatisfied and rode the bike for 120 or so mile. It seem to be running pretty good. I eventually went home called Yamaha (on a different 800 number) and talked to a very sweet lady and she told me to go back to the dealer and have them call Yamaha. Do that and less than an hour later I get a voicemail from the manager saying they will take care of the recall.

I woke up this morning and my living room smells like raw gas. No puddles or any signs of gas visible so I move the bike outside the garage and air out the garage and the smell goes away. I call the dealer to see if they will keep the bike for me until the parts come in so I don't have to worry about my garage/ house blowing up and they agree to take it after huffing and puffing about not having room. When I drop it off the manager tells me that the fuel leak is a separate issue from the recall work and they would look as a courtesy and advise, but made it clear that only the part included in the recall work are covered.

My question is after reading the recall about unspecified fuel leaks caused by the bad factory parts, shouldn't they cover the leak? I'd hate to have to take this to the corporate level, but I feel like I might have to.

All in all, I really wanted a Warrior ever since they came out. I just can't believe how this thing has turned out.

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
on the 2002 warriors there was a issue with the side drybreak cracking and leaking. unfortunately Yamaha has never recognized this problem so there is no recall for this. * ya beat me to it while typing rij1*

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
The Drybrake is repairable and the repair depends on your abilities but some and I have repaired theirs and haven't had issues since. You can always find another new Drybrake also. Don't let these minor issues discourage you about the warrior though. They last a life time...

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
Not much if you put a wanted add here on the forum for a later model Upper drybrake. No need to buy new. Verify its the problem first before just getting it though it wont hurt to get one anyways

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Yes, easily could. These are small things, you got a great price, not bad if you need to put if you need to put in a little work. Helps you get to know the bike too. Once this is resolved you will love the bike and it should give you many trouble free miles with basic maintenance.

·
Premium Member
10,729 Posts
The dry-breaks could very well be the light coming on issue. If you separate the halves and shoot a little WD-40 in both sides. Then reconnect them. You should hear and feel a solid click when they are together good.

·
Administrator
27,734 Posts
Sux you are having these troubles, but finding the trouble spots is not as huge a problem as you might think. But it can be spendy so its good to do a very good job of searching the bike for secondary issues (such as fuel leaking from two spots).

Add to what has already been posted:

This is all the fuel recall covers, its just hardware to provide correct support for the tank and avoid pulling-out spot welds under the tank. http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/92-documentation/180240-warrior-factory-recall-information.html

This is one of the weldments under the top fuel tank, and its the one 'protected' by the 2002 fuel tank recall hardware (above): http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-technical-discussion/160713-fuel-tank-leaking.html

I mention these two because your 2002 is a long ways away from 2002 and the more time/miles on the bike the more possible it seems that the spot welds under the fuel tank could begin to leak. The recall solved the issue years ago but obviously not all the 2002 bikes got brought in for the recall work. Yours might be one of those.

There are a few places on the upper tank that have leaked fuel and been documented here on this forum. The front slip-in mounts are rare but have broken and leaked. The tail mount bracket (bolts under rider seat) is more common. The fuel outlet (left-side-front) seems destined to be more common as the years pass. Add to that the left-side dry-break (not on the tank) and there's plenty of places to investigate on your bike.

Suggest you ride it until the top tank is dry then remove the tank and investigate carefully. If repair is needed, IMHO take the tank to a fuel tank repair shop for welding.

·
Registered
361 Posts
i have an 02 warrior as well and none of the recalls have been done on it.maybe this season ill do all of them(4 i believe,tps,tranny,and2 other ones i cant remember ) if i have enough money to buy all upgraded performance parts for it so they would swap the old ones with performance ones with no labor charge.

i called a dealer last year and they told me that they will not swap parts provided by me because they are not yamaha originals.a lot of people on here have done it so why not me?ill be looking for another local yamaha dealer who will accept part provided by me ,if none will do so ,i ll just keep it without recalls until someone will do it i guess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just got my first warrior the other day and when I pulled the tank off, I noticed some one had "repaired" the top dry break connection on mine. It seems to be fine for now, but I'll be in the market for one, or I will just delete it, if that isn't too big an issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts