RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go to put it on and it won't fit in the lock mechanism. I installed 1 washer on each side, and it still wouldn't fit. I put in 2 washers on each side, and after pushing it several times it finally locked. I was able to lock and unlock it with a little force. Then I went to sit down, and it felt taller than the old seat. I specifically asked them to lower me down and bring me forward as much as possible. I go to take it off, and the **** seat will not unlock. I actually twisted the key trying to unlock it! I was able to straighten the key, thankfully. I'm mad because I just spent f'n $440+shipping on this thing and it should fit me and my body. I guess I'll be on the phone with them tomorrow!

Jason

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The key to taking it off is turning the key while your sitting on it when it's new. And yeah, I hear ya on the height. They didn't take enough off for me either. Luckily though I can just ride over there some day and get it fixed up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I was able to get it off by sitting on it. I added a 3rd washer and I can I remove the seat by pushing down with my hand. However, the seat won't fit with the factory tool kit. Also, the front of the seat doesn't appear to be rounded off symetrically. See pic:

·
Premium Member
8,392 Posts
jacksonf4.... sorry to hear of your disappointment with the new seat. I'm sure Corbin will correct any isues you have!

Corbin STINGER on '04' Fitment Apr '05'

http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/21427/281319.aspx#281319

http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/21427/329827.aspx#329827

When new, a little petroleum jelly or wax on the rear hook and rubber pads will help it latch. Read this: http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/16740/273093.aspx#273093 After you break the seat in you can remove the washers!

2 1/2 yr old seat being reworked Oct '07' at their plant, No Chg! Foam was removed from the thigh area effectively making the seat feel lower

·
Premium Member
8,392 Posts
jacksonf4 said:
I added a 3rd washer and I can I remove the seat by pushing down with my hand. However, the seat won't fit with the factory tool kit. Also, the front of the seat doesn't appear to be rounded off symetrically.
The factory tool kit and rider bracketcan stay in place as built. I removed the passenger frt pillion bracket onlyout of the gate and plugged holes as shown below!

Some early photos that might be of interest:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157602601835974/detail/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157602604617909/detail/

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
RhatPhlegm said:
I have to push down on my Corbin DT to unlock it. No biggy...
+1
it will get easier as it breaks in. the corbin is the single best improvement i made on this bike and if i had to do it over i wouldnt change a thing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the front pillon bracket removed and holes plugged as well (just like those pics). With the tool kit, it's not even close to fitting. I've put in a call to Corbin.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Your tools should fit fine, mine do with the same seat. The bracket they were strapped to is removed but the tools themselves are fine. Sounds like you're going through a bit more then you should but luckily the Corbin owner is just as interested in making it good as you are. What's the old man's name? Mike? Anyway, when I was having mine done there was a guy there with a 5 year old seat that came in because Mike saw him at a ride and told him to get in and have his seat redone because he didn't like the way it wore. No charge, of course.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
They have a name for non-existent Quality Control and pretty hopeless customer service especially if you get the wrong person. Is the foam firm enough other than being too high? I had to have two Youngguns made since the first was wrong materials and VERY soft. The seats are made in a mold and the guys just slop in dollops of the two part foam. I think Don helped me out but persevere since it's definitely worth it. Write to Mike Corbin at the link provided on the site. The e-mails get intercepted by a snooty secretary who was quite unhelpful but us customers need to try to be heard. I still like to think that Mike cares about us. Good luck....

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
fcwarrior said:
I still like to think that Mike cares about us.

I don't know many other owners that buy you lunch and breakfast while you wait and come check on you and make sure everyone is doing what they can to accomodate what you want in their product. To be honest, I think their reputation is better then their product. Most would agree I think when you look under a Corbin seat and a stock seat but they're doing a better job then anyone else and if you ask me if the guy still cares I'd definitely have to say yes. He could have put that place on autopilot years ago I'm sure and walked off and collected checks but he's still there managing his fleet of Mexicans instead.

·
Registered
996 Posts
My 2 cents, I recently bought the stinger for my 06. Perfect fit, didn't have to remove any brackets, tool kit still fits under seat. I've put corbins on my last three bikes, most comfortable seats I've found.As far as customer service is concerned, I only had an issue with one of the seats(one I bought for my 99 Buell S3), the rise at the tailbone was to far back. I called them and told them about it and sent them pictures to show what I wanted. They fixed it no charged( they even payed shipping). It's all about personal experience, mine was good.

·
Administrator
27,735 Posts
Hey Jim, you've had good experiences in the past.

But I've heard rumors that Corbin is different because the craftsmen are gone its just the owners who are the same. The new workers don't have the same work ethic or experience and thats why complaints are up. It had to happen sometime. I went with a Mustang for the first time, and that was a hard decision since everything for me was Corbin without a second thought. The Mustang ends up being good advise from fellow members. Its the best seat I have ever owned hands-down. Just my 2-cents (JM.02) but I for sure wish I'd made the switch earlier. IMO buying Corbin these days without so much as even investigating other brands with an open mindis like buying HD despite the fact there are twenty brands on the lot that are proven better.

·
Premium Member
8,392 Posts
Mustang doesn't list anything later then '03' for the Warrior
and they haveonly 1-model in several flavors w/w/o buttons and backrest

Corbin, on the other hand, willBUILD you a truely custom seat and that's where many of their problems arise as it is Custom and one of a kind.

I had the pleasure to do the Drive -Thru last yearand spent the whole day in their shop whilea custom seat was builtfor Jaytee's new BMW on the OEMseat pan. My seat was adjusted No Chg! Met Mike Corbin also,and was given a voucher, in-house 50's cafe,forfree lunch for a no chg fitting of my nearly 3-yr old saddle.

Theirseats are allhand built and there isn't any mass production at all except for the metal parts that are cast or bolted to the hand-laid fibre-glass seatpan. Cover material, patterns, stitching is all custom cut from specific templates. The Warrior Stinger is poured into a 2-part mold upside down. The seat pan being one part of the mold. The holes in the bottom are for filling the proprietary foam that expands during curing.

The toolingis built on site in their mold/machine shop. New model bikes areborrowed from adealer or customer to build the req'd tooling. Only 1-set of tooling is fab'd for each specificmodel as i was told.

One hour is the average turn around time for producing a poured pan with foaminto thelaid upbottom fibre-glass seat pan. Covering the seat is an entirely different step but is also done by hand.

Here's a slide show of the trip up northto Corbin's plant, via the Sherman Pass,and aCook's tour of the operation as well: http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157602601845240/show/

This is no sweatshop by any stretch of yourimagination, at all! Lots of hand-work using industrial sewing machines and pneumatic tools. First class cyclone exhaust system through-out with make-up air because of the nasty chemicalsand a very skilled, established and loyal Hispanic/Latino work force

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, after rearranging the tools in the tool kit, I'm able to get the seat latched down. My only beef with Corbin is that they didn't build the seat to lower me down or move me forward like I asked. 3 days later, no response from them...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Keep in mind the stock seat pan is plastic and the Corbin is much harder so until it breaks in it may be a little harder to remove and install.I have the Stinger and the DT and to firmly latch or remove I just put pressure with my knee and the key then turns easily and comes off.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have several corbins and they all seem tight. I put my knee right where the lock is and push down then turn the key, works great everytime. Also if you get alot of vibration through the seat make sure it is not touching the tank. The tank vibs alot, so put washers under the latch bracket to lift it just off the tank and the vibs will go way down.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
hey jackson. now that you have had the seat a while what do you think? yours is the only neg. review i have seen. it looks good but if it doesnt fit and isnt confortable than it isnt worth the cash.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have the new hollywood seat and if I slide the rear under the latch the front will not lock. I pushed for all i was worth and nothing.. If the back doesnt catch the bar then the fron will latch go fiques may have to use some washers.. I dunno!!!!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
hey jackson. now that you have had the seat a while what do you think? yours is the only neg. review i have seen. it looks good but if it doesnt fit and isnt confortable than it isnt worth the cash.

I have a corbin stinger seat and I have nothing great to say about it. about the only thing i really like about it is the way it folllows the lines of the bike. If I had to do it all over again I sure as **** wouldnt pay the retail price i paid for it. I MIGHT buy one if someone was selling a used one for real cheap. on second thought probably not

1 - 20 of 20 Posts