Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 458 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Thanks Alan.

I agree, in the interest of keeping this thread in line with what we started as, we keep discussions here limited to having Ivan's Performance POSSIBLY reflash our ECUs at some point after late fall.

IF there is someone else who would like to take the project on (besides Ivan) that would probably best be kept to a new thread? Might be very interesting and maybe there is someone out there who can do it, I don't really know.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Well, time for an update. For the past couple of weeks I have been looking into another possibility, a company called ECU Unleashed. After lots of back and forth on whether or not they could do the Warrior ECU, the answer came back yes, they can. I asked about a group buy and the response was:

Hi Randy
Yes we can get it done at group discount price for you guys.
The regular price for doing just 1 or 2 is normally $449.00 and we can do it for $389.00 including shipping back to you.
If you do 10 or more we can do it for $350.00 shipped in the US .
Let us know. The turnaround time is 10 – 12 days after we receive it.
Thanks

I then asked a couple of questions about what to expect from it:

Hello Randy,

Sorry for the delay. Here is some info on your questions.

What type of performance gains might we reasonably see?
These Yamaha's have significant factory restrictions in the throttle and ignition mapping and simply eliminating these in the performance flash will show much improved performance relating to hp and tq however we also focus on improvements made to the deceleration (off throttle) mapping which also helps the on/off throttle characteristics making the bike more predictable and overall...more fun to ride. We would estimate 4-6% increase in overall top end power (peak hp) but expect more increase of up to 10% in the lower and mid-range areas of the power band. This will all vary per the bikes set up and other surrounding variables but overall these are realistic gains to expect even on a completely stock bike with restricted intake and exhaust systems still fitted to the bike.

What would the rev limit be raised to?
Standard increase on these is 500 rpm. There is no additional power to be made beyond that point unless there has been significant internal engine modifications performed. This additional rpm also adds as a pillow of tolerance that lowers the potential of bouncing off the rev limiter when riding in more aggressive situations. It allows you to ride comfortably in the higher rpms with less thought of rev limit. However doing all of this while still maintaining a safe rev limit protecting engine components from unnecessary and excessive engine wear and tear.

Would we still be able to run a Power Commander or Cobra Auto Tune programmer?
Absolutely and in fact we recommend that at some point after having the performance re-flash done, installing a fuel control module and having a professional tuner finalize the fuel mapping to bring all the performance modifications including the re-flash together into one cohesive package....... each helping the other to perform at their fullest potential. We adjust fueling to accommodate all other changes we have made within the performance tune file and air fuel is often very close after the flash however every vehicle and situation have variables and it is always good practice to finalize it with a fine tuned fuel map. (this can also be accomplished through an auto tune module and someone knowledgeable in its functionality)

Hope this help and please let us us know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Taige

Anybody interested in trying this? Do you want me to be the guinea pig and have mine done first? Want to wait and see if Ivan is interested? Thoughts?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Im in either way you guys go. Im only doing hc pistons this winter. With a reflash and HC install its all I can afford to do on my Warrior for next rideing season. Got to share expences with my SS also, lol.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I looked into this back when we started talking and it left me with a few questions.
!. Is it a generic euc mod ( throw general ecu adjustments at it )

2. Has it been Dyno tested for best performance

3. Has it been road tested for feel

I didn't research it to death like I usually would but was thinking of it as an option if the other didn't work out. I'll try do do some more research even if it's not on a Warrior to get some opinions or reviews.
I think I found some guys down under that did their MT-01 same engines but final reviews not all in yet but if I remember right was looking good.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Well, time for an update. For the past couple of weeks I have been looking into another possibility, a company called ECU Unleashed. After lots of back and forth on whether or not they could do the Warrior ECU, the answer came back yes, they can. I asked about a group buy and the response was:

Hi Randy
Yes we can get it done at group discount price for you guys.
The regular price for doing just 1 or 2 is normally $449.00 and we can do it for $389.00 including shipping back to you.
If you do 10 or more we can do it for $350.00 shipped in the US .
Let us know. The turnaround time is 10 – 12 days after we receive it.
Thanks

I then asked a couple of questions about what to expect from it:

Hello Randy,

Sorry for the delay. Here is some info on your questions.

What type of performance gains might we reasonably see?
These Yamaha's have significant factory restrictions in the throttle and ignition mapping and simply eliminating these in the performance flash will show much improved performance relating to hp and tq however we also focus on improvements made to the deceleration (off throttle) mapping which also helps the on/off throttle characteristics making the bike more predictable and overall...more fun to ride. We would estimate 4-6% increase in overall top end power (peak hp) but expect more increase of up to 10% in the lower and mid-range areas of the power band. This will all vary per the bikes set up and other surrounding variables but overall these are realistic gains to expect even on a completely stock bike with restricted intake and exhaust systems still fitted to the bike.

What would the rev limit be raised to?
Standard increase on these is 500 rpm. There is no additional power to be made beyond that point unless there has been significant internal engine modifications performed. This additional rpm also adds as a pillow of tolerance that lowers the potential of bouncing off the rev limiter when riding in more aggressive situations. It allows you to ride comfortably in the higher rpms with less thought of rev limit. However doing all of this while still maintaining a safe rev limit protecting engine components from unnecessary and excessive engine wear and tear.

Would we still be able to run a Power Commander or Cobra Auto Tune programmer?
Absolutely and in fact we recommend that at some point after having the performance re-flash done, installing a fuel control module and having a professional tuner finalize the fuel mapping to bring all the performance modifications including the re-flash together into one cohesive package....... each helping the other to perform at their fullest potential. We adjust fueling to accommodate all other changes we have made within the performance tune file and air fuel is often very close after the flash however every vehicle and situation have variables and it is always good practice to finalize it with a fine tuned fuel map. (this can also be accomplished through an auto tune module and someone knowledgeable in its functionality)

Hope this help and please let us us know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Taige

Anybody interested in trying this? Do you want me to be the guinea pig and have mine done first? Want to wait and see if Ivan is interested? Thoughts?

Overall that sounds pretty good to me, although $$ will probably prevent me from doing a group buy. Maybe in a few years.

10% power gains just from the ignition mapping sounds pretty generous to me, but I don't doubt there are power gains to be had. I remember my dyno sheet has a really weird choppy area in the low RPM range that the dyno guy thought was due to the ignition timing, I'll try to find that pic. As for the off throttle stuff he mentions, I see that as both a good and bad thing. It smooths the throttle transitions out, but you lose a lot of your engine braking as a result... Good or bad, depending on how much you like engine braking lol. As I understand it, it's mostly just limiting the fuel cut on deceleration... a PCV can tune that too right?

Raising the rev limit sounds awesome to me as long as it's safe on the motor.

IMO again, ECU flashes are freaking awesome on bikes with throttle-by-wire, because you have so much control over everything. Besides the ignition timing and rev limit, I'm not sure what advantage this gives you over a good PCV tune on our bikes. But I have a few years for you guys to be my guinea pigs, I hope someone goes for it and reports back. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #90

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ok spent last two hours couldn't find anything bad about them although I did find a comparison but not a Warrior on this site
ECU Flash Comparison ECUleashed vs. Ivan's @ ZX-14.com

You guys research and decide, I have a Raider now and have a Flash, anyone that wants to come try it out is welcome to, after owning both Warrior & Raider I would say they run pretty close to the same before the Flash.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Thanks Jim. I am perfectly happy to wait for Ivan since I won't be tearing into my bike until winter anyway, but my gut feeling is he is going to say he doesn't have the time. So I thought it would make sense to at least look at other alternatives.

Just trying to help here, so you guys let me know what YOU would like to do...

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Ok, no problem. Let's wait and see what Ivan says.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
List updated today, let me know if any changes or additions...

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Hey Scott, these are the same guys I have been talking to, and yes, they can do it. See my post #83 for pricing and info.

So how you enjoying the rocket ship?

·
Registered
331 Posts
A question for the group buy; do we all have to do it at the same time or is a list of names good enough to get the group rate? I'm pretty set on a winter re-flash, not wanting to be down any riding season time... and if this year's as long as last winter was :mad: gonna have to move south!

81 - 100 of 458 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.