RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got my Warrior and I am still going thru registration hassle at local DMV office trying to register a non-CA bike. Such a pain! First I had to come and pay registration. Now having a 1 single day permit that allows me to transport the bike or to use it on CA roads, I gotta bring the bike for "inspection". The rep at DMV starred at monitor for 20 min trying to find some info. Then said that they'll have to check it for emission...

Did anybody experience any issues registering non-Californian bike in CA? Anything I need to know before bringing the bike for inspection?

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
I didn't back in 2006 when I brought my 2004 MI (non Cali) bike to Socal ... The DMV Inspector will check for the standard DOT requirements of the Mfg year of your ride and mine searched for the engine serial number which isn't on the MI title or registration ... be sure you're wearing a DOT helmet :)

This is what it looked like then:

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
From I can remember there is a member name Request ...
He registered a M/C from out of state about a year or so ago...

Do a member search for him and send him a pm and he'll let u Knw what he had to do.

Good luck...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My title also doesn't have the engine number. She asked me if I know it. However I didn't have a clue. Then she started reading, searching something, reading..

I scheduled an appointment for this Saturday. Just thought I would check with the forum before making a visit.

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
^^^ The Engine Number is visible (Vertical orientation) stamped on the split vertical flange of the engine case. I think it can be seen from the LH side under the seat lock cover but really don't remember.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, I found that after checking it all over the bike. I thought first that they would be able to identify if the bike is outside of California based on the engine number. However, this is not correct. Only by checking ECU number you can tell what is what.
Doubt they at DMV know about that.

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
^^^ All Stock Cali bikes use a Charcoal Canister mounted to the LH rider foot peg bracket.

On my '04' bike there is an OEM factory EPA label on the inside of the LH engine cover (Key-Lock Cover for Seat) which makes it useless for viewing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
as a AAA member, i went to a local office. they verified the VIN and engine number.
Couldn't find the EPA sticker. I see now that it's behind the left side cover which requires security torques bits to access.
the folks at AAA moved it right through. I haven't received any documents from CA gov indicating i have an issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it is a non-CA bike, I remember that there is a minimum mileage requirement, something like 5-10k/mi ( little help from the crowd, please) . Shouldn't be much of an issue on a model not made since '09, though...

My experience with CHP inspections is that they are typically very cursory.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update: The registration went smooth without any issues or questions. Inspector just took all numbers that exist on the bike/parts.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can still purchase the bike out of CA with less than 7500miles on it only if it’s been made for CA

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well I just bought one with an Idaho title. Hopefully I dont run into trouble, it has the required mileage. Are they going to give me crap for riding it there unregistered? I have no other way of getting it to the dmv for inspection lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get a permit first from dmv. It’s valid for 1 day only. This will allow you driving the bike for inspection without any issues in case if you get pulled over.
Ensure that you have the emisión sticker on the rear fender. Other than that - easy peasy.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Other then the 3.5 hour covid dmv wait the process was simple and easy. One guy verified the vin and engine number in a few minutes and i took that inside and paid taxes and fees. Left with my plate and sticker.

Maybe it depends on the dmv but they didnt care that I was riding it with an out of state plate with 2017 tags on it or my helmet or even that I had integrated tail lights.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
974 Posts
Steve Jobs never had a plate on his personal car. Something about a 6 month grace period and he was so rich he just changed cars every 6 months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chomorro
1 - 20 of 20 Posts