RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have found a couple threads about this, but i am yet to see anyone get it done, and on the road. anyone out there get this going?? and is the middle drive just a 1 to 1 gearing to get the drive to the other side of the bike???

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
The middle shaft is a secondary reduction after the primary drive as shown below 35/32.
Keep in mind that the RH spur gear is attached to the Transmission output shaft and that the primary reduction is between the crank and trani input shaft as is the norm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats a great picture, thanks a lot, looks like it should be smiple. any one have any possible reasons this could result in catastrophic failure??

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
this conversion should not lead to any failures do to the swap as long as you address these few points of importance.
1st you must reoil tank the bike because the oil tank is part of the middle shaft case.

2nd you must used a very large front sprocket ( in the mid 20s for tooth count.

3rd you will probably be better off flipping the swing arm over, cutting off the shock mount and rewelding it on the other side of the swingarm, then redo the spacers as needed.

4th you may need some offset on the front sprocket and that may intail fabricating an offset bearing support plate to handle the torque of the warrior.

that swap will also mean that you will have to address the use of a longer brake hose and possible otherbrake related minor issues.

5th leads you to a new battery mount and electrical harness relocations and clean up.

aside of those few small issues it should be a real straight forward conversion. this is just a small not very detailed list of some of the key points of the conversion and doesnt mean there arent other ways to go around the same conversion. as you stated not much to be found on the conversion besides the worlds fastest warrior ,and it hasnt been under its own power yet that i know of, and wont do extended ride times like a street bike will do, so some ofthe things that may work on that project may not be in the best intrest of a street use bike. like most people say on here all you have to do is remove the box and run the chain and sprockets ,lol have fun take good pics of the progress, btk572

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
thats a great picture, thanks a lot, looks like it should be smiple. any one have any possible reasons this could result in catastrophic failure??
Patrick Racing had a couple of aspirated bikes that they ran with RH chain drive, extended swing arm using the stock oil tank and faux transfer case cover which might be for support and maybe not :) ... certainly not mission impossible if you stick with the chain.

Suggest you Goggle the Yamaha MT01 for a look see!

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have found a couple threads about this, but i am yet to see anyone get it done, and on the road. anyone out there get this going?? and is the middle drive just a 1 to 1 gearing to get the drive to the other side of the bike???
Look up Brents Bobber, right side drive no middle drive box. also (Club Chopper story)

The middle drive gear is more than 1:1 It slows the final output on the left side of the middle drive to make belts last longer with the slower speed.

The Canadian model MT-01 is right side drive and no middle drive box. It is chain drive and the oil tank is on the front left side of the engine.

You can use a R1 yamaha sprocket on the middle drive or the right side of the bike.

The info is out there.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Look up Brents Bobber, right side drive no middle drive box. also (Club Chopper story)

The middle drive gear is more than 1:1 It slows the final output on the left side of the middle drive to make belts last longer with the slower speed.

The Canadian model MT-01 is right side drive and no middle drive box. It is chain drive and the oil tank is on the front left side of the engine.

You can use a R1 yamaha sprocket on the middle drive or the right side of the bike.

The info is out there.
Welcome to the family and the best warrior 4m.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have removed the middle drive on two bikes.
I have made a left hand drive with chain and a right hand drive with chain.
I is not exactly 1:1 IT was done to slow the original belt drive down and make belt last longer. That is the story from Yamaha.

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
Thanks Heftysmurf. I finally got the look I wanted.
34º rake with 22inch DNA springer forks. No flop. Steers easy.
How's the Ride? :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
How's the Ride? :)
I have tried several seats.
The first ones were spring mounted seats and I used different lengths of springs.
Each time I had to adjust the foot controls to work with the seat position.
When I rode I always felt like I was hanging on and could not relax my grip.
That was very tiring.
Then I tried this Le Pera model 304 seat which had a kick up rear portion on the seat.
It had a longstanding reputation. The seat is hinged at the front like a spring seat, but no spring mounts.
I used the spring mount posts on my frame and made a steel mount to attach so that the seat
Had the correct height and a back support to bolt to the seat.
I was surprised how comfortable the seat is and the great back support. I could ride relaxed
and even remove one of my hands from the handlebars if I wanted to without feeling like
I would come off the motorcycle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts