RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several of you have stated that you would like to do this recall work yourself so I am looking for an opinion from that crew.
I stopped by a dealer yesturday to talk about parts and he stated that Yamaha gave him a ship date of March 1 (hopefully 2004 LOL). He went on to tell me that he had several bikes ahead of me untill I told him that my bike was almost completly torn down. He told me that if I brought him the engine assembly that he would do mine first AND I could watch. I know that Yamaha is paying the labor for the whole job but for peace of mind I am really thinking about it. What do your think? Pro's and con's. I need a little help making this decission.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Depends how quick you want the bike back. I'm making sure mine is in the middle/back of the queue: let them make the mistakes on someone elses bike first!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I dunno... I mean, if it doesn't work right take it back and keep taking it back until it does. I myself would jump on the opportunity to get my bike repaired. Whatever you wanna do though, your call.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me add that they have completed 12-15 RoadStars. Mine will not be the first. My point is that there are 3 dealers in the area that can do it. One told me June, one said Sept./Oct., and this one is in a couple of weeks.
I was just wondering if I would run into any other issues. They will warranty their work and I'm not worried about mine.

·
Registered
471 Posts
quote:Originally posted by correy

Several of you have stated that you would like to do this recall work yourself so I am looking for an opinion from that crew.
I stopped by a dealer yesturday to talk about parts and he stated that Yamaha gave him a ship date of March 1 (hopefully 2004 LOL). He went on to tell me that he had several bikes ahead of me untill I told him that my bike was almost completly torn down. He told me that if I brought him the engine assembly that he would do mine first AND I could watch. I know that Yamaha is paying the labor for the whole job but for peace of mind I am really thinking about it. What do your think? Pro's and con's. I need a little help making this decission.

Go for it get at least hi comp pistons while you are at it[8D]

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
Do it, and the job is a piece of cake once the motor is out. Get an extra set of hands and a couple of threaded rods, the motor is in there kinda tight and is pretty heavy, but it's one of the easier motors to pull.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I wouldn't watch though. Having a customer looking over the tech's shoulder puts a lot of extra stress on the tech. Most tech's don't like it because it takes away their concentration from the job, and puts it on you. It is tempting to watch though.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks JP. I'm going to pull it this weekend. As for watching, their service department butt's up to their showroom and has a glass wall. They are used to people watching them work. Poor guys are like hamsters in a cage.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
BS, if he's good he should not care. I ain't been a motorcycle mechanic, but I been a industrial mechanic, a wood worker, an ice cream maker, done varnishing on expensive boats, worked in casting metal, and mixed sound for rock and roll bands (talk about people 'watching' you). No problem with people watching me cuz I knew what I was doing. Now if anyone is going to watch, keep the mouth closed unless they talk to you is my advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts