RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes....I did a search first. Most of the posts have photos that have since been deleted. I'm late to the Warrior playing field. I hate asking but then I realized atleast I would be adding photos so the next person can see photos versus a yellow ballon stating "Photo not present".

Can anyone tell me how to remove this?
I bought the bike with it on so I am not positive how it goes on.

The small Allen heads appear to be for looks and actually not working, but I am wondering if there is hardware inside to loosen? Didn't want to pull it straight back either.
Prefer to ask.
Pictures enclosed.....

(In the second photo, I am guessing after removing the Allen bolts that there is something to unscrew and maybe the back just pops off? )

Thank you in advance.

·
Administrator
28,763 Posts
The 3 vertical screws on the bike side are fastening the scoop to its bracket. The 4 other screws can be left in place.

With the 3 screws removed, the front of the scoop pulls away from the bike. The rear of the scoop is notched to release without fastener.

Go slow and you will see its easy.

That is the Yamaha accessory Speedstar scoop. Many of us who like scoops have them installed as covers but not plumbed for intake air. So you might find an air filter inside and a top snorkle heading to the undertank silencer airbox having another air filter. Or it might not be connected at all.

On my phone screen it almost looks like your is plumbed. If it is, the other air filter is changed by lifting the top (main) fuel tank.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 3 vertical screws on the bike side are fastening the scoop to its bracket. The 4 other screws can be left in place.

With the 3 screws removed, the front of the scoop pulls away from the bike. The rear of the scoop is notched to release without fastener.

Go slow and you will see its easy.

That is the Yamaha accessory Speedstar scoop. Many of us who like scoops have them installed as covers but not plumbed for intake air. So you might find an air filter inside and a top snorkle heading to the undertank silencer airbox having another air filter. Or it might not be connected at all.

On my phone screen it almost looks like your is plumbed. If it is, the other air filter is changed by lifting the top (main) fuel tank.
Thank you for your response. It gives me a starting point. I had major oil driving out of this box this week due to the Yamaha dealer putting in 10 quarts(Yes, 10 quarts!) and my first ride where the oil warmed up, it came out of her rapidly. I wanted to see if it was a mess inside and wipe it down or see if oil has soaked anything like a filter inside.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, that was made easier by ArizonaWarrior! Thank you. The vertical ones and ignore the redundant ones on the left. Slide towards the front of the bike and Voila! Off she goes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now lets see what is behind the filter and lets clean the filter.
Oh wow! About 3-4 oz's of oil just laying in there on the bottom. No bueno! Paper towels and Simple Green it is.
Nice and clean. Now to steal my girls high powered hair dryer to dry this air filter out!

·
Administrator
28,763 Posts
Remember to pull the fuel tank and clean or replace that air filter too, plus wipe any oil out of that airbox.

The stock Warrior design routes the blow-by oil vent hose into that undertank silencer airbox and the maintenance procedure includes wiping away any accumulated oil inside. This can be minimized or eliminated by using the Yamaha 'how to check oil level' video in The Welcome Mat, and by noticing how much oil drains from the two drain plugs under the bike, and refilling with the correct amount depending on if you change the oil filter too (although the level is not really that critical its good to generally be aware). For example I use Amsoil20/50 and Bosch3323 to get ~6k miles or more between oil changes and the waste oil is still reasonably clean. In cases when I use different oil with Bosch3323 I do not always change the oil filter when I change oil at ~3k miles (decision is based on if the waste oil is still reasonably clean).

So looking at oil levels, and techniques for checking and changing oil and filter, can significantly reduce blow-by oil vented into the stock airbox.

When you minimize blow-by oil, its then okay to swap out the stock intakes and install a VBAK or BAK because the vent hose (which is often rerouted to the swingarm pivot area with VBAK/BAK) will not be dripping oil. Its because you manage the semi-dry-sump oil as a system. Its actually easy once you get rolling.

But right now, you realize the oil in the right side filter box came from the vent into the undertank airbox and built-up until it vented out the connecting rubber snorkle and down into the right side filter box you just cleaned. So pull that tank!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I haven’t commented on the 10 quarts yet because I can’t get my head around that amount being put in any sort of bike. Refer back to imperial days 4 quarts make a gallon, so 2 1/2 gallons in your bike. Well the one good thing is nothing internally would rust lol. However I feel sorry for the oil pump as it would have difficulty doing it’s job properly. As we all know the motor works under pressure and for that to work a certain amount of air has to be involved. As the oil is being pushed around the air would be standing on the pavement trying to step in the road. Very lucky that the old girl gave you a little warning as to what was happening, worse case it could have been catastrophic😎😎🐝

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Remember to pull the fuel tank and clean or replace that air filter too, plus wipe any oil out of that airbox.

The stock Warrior design routes the blow-by oil vent hose into that undertank silencer airbox and the maintenance procedure includes wiping away any accumulated oil inside. This can be minimized or eliminated by using the Yamaha 'how to check oil level' video in The Welcome Mat, and by noticing how much oil drains from the two drain plugs under the bike, and refilling with the correct amount depending on if you change the oil filter too (although the level is not really that critical its good to generally be aware). For example I use Amsoil20/50 and Bosch3323 to get ~6k miles or more between oil changes and the waste oil is still reasonably clean. In cases when I use different oil with Bosch3323 I do not always change the oil filter when I change oil at ~3k miles (decision is based on if the waste oil is still reasonably clean).

So looking at oil levels, and techniques for checking and changing oil and filter, can significantly reduce blow-by oil vented into the stock airbox.

When you minimize blow-by oil, its then okay to swap out the stock intakes and install a VBAK or BAK because the vent hose (which is often rerouted to the swingarm pivot area with VBAK/BAK) will not be dripping oil. Its because you manage the semi-dry-sump oil as a system. Its actually easy once you get rolling.

But right now, you realize the oil in the right side filter box came from the vent into the undertank airbox and built-up until it vented out the connecting rubber snorkle and down into the right side filter box you just cleaned. So pull that tank!
Not sure if you knew about my beginnings with this bike or not:

Bought it about 3 weeks ago from an 83 year old who bought it, had Yamaha put on aftermarket stuff, rode it a few times, drained it, went through divorces and a bad back and it sat in his garage for over a decade. He got a new battery in 12/2018 and an oil change from dealership and had on battery tender since. Only starting it up for minutes at a time. I bought it with 260 original miles on it. Yes. 260 miles.

Trucked it home. Only rode it around the bike slowly due to original tires and wanting to change everything. First time I rode it till it got hot oil went everywhere. 10 quarts inside. I replaced it by the procedure in the video designed for our bikes and put in 4.4 US Quarts. Have not ridden it for the 15 minutes yet to see if its in the marked areas yet due to the air filters are soaked with oil. Its going to run like crap and backfire like crazy most likely. Ordered new spark plugs too for it.
I have drained it completely and changed the oil and filter. the bike has had 2 oil changes in less than 300 miles on it. Lol

Got the under tank air filter coming tomorrow along with the side filter. Dying to see how much oil is under the tank. oh man!

Then, I will ride it around and give it a good warm up to see how it goes. Narrowing it down to perfection one thing at a time. Got all new SS brake lines, SS Clutch line, SS push/pull throttle lines going on with a new set of tires. I will do the plugs last at the moment. Other bikes calling my attention lately. They are jealous of the new girl in the stable.

You have been a great help with your wisdom. I hope I can pay it forward through pics and response to others in the future who are new to this beautiful unique motorcycle.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven’t commented on the 10 quarts yet because I can’t get my head around that amount being put in any sort of bike. Refer back to imperial days 4 quarts make a gallon, so 2 1/2 gallons in your bike. Well the one good thing is nothing internally would rust lol. However I feel sorry for the oil pump as it would have difficulty doing it’s job properly. As we all know the motor works under pressure and for that to work a certain amount of air has to be involved. As the oil is being pushed around the air would be standing on the pavement trying to step in the road. Very lucky that the old girl gave you a little warning as to what was happening, worse case it could have been catastrophic😎😎🐝
I think the same way. If I would have driven this bike back to my home in LA from Torrance which is 50 miles, I think the motor would have blown. Too much oil. The two times I took it through my neighborhoods, it didn't even warm up since I was only going 3 miles round trip with a coffee stopping the middle.
The oil leak excursion was my first trip over 2 miles away from home and I felt a "Chug" as if it was bogging down. Pulled over immediately and saw oil dripping out side filter box. Let it cool completely. Drove a mile, pulled over and let it cool, and then drove a mile, and back into garage.

The old man got the oil changed and only rode it home 1 mile and never rode it again for the next 1 1/2 years.

I have a feeling this bike is going to feel much faster when I get back on it due to the pressure difference and the idle will be much smoother. After a spark plug change, this bike should (Hopefully) be primo and still under 300 miles.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got two boxes in the USPS box today. Time to get the bike taken apart and change both filters. Yay! Took off the tank for the first time, wiped it down, removed the screws, padding, and air scoop to look inside. Just as I thought, Oil puddles in corners and a nice greasy sheen all around. Spent quite a few paper towels soaking it all up and drying it. Removed the stock Yamaha air filter I bought from E-bay. ( I thought I would use a cheap paper one to continue soaking up any oil that might be left in the bike then change quickly in the future).

Opened up the yamaha box and found out that the online seller sent me the wrong filter. Geesh! Decide to put in the K&N air filter that I bought for the side and screw it in, put on the air scoop, the padding, put back on tank, and re-order another K&N for the side that is empty for now. Get the new air filter on Saturday so no riding this until then I guess.

Yamaha "Original" stock filter I removed and wrong size delivery on left.

Removed the ugly yellow reflectors in the front though......

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Actually that Filter on the left is the CORRECT filter , BUT for the side Coffin....

The SpeedStar scoop replaced the Stock OE coffin...

How in the world did u find your?.?

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually that Filter on the left is the CORRECT filter , BUT for the side Coffin....

The SpeedStar scoop replaced the Stock OE coffin...

How in the world did u find your?.?

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

Oh........
Bought it with the aftermarket 'SpeedStar Scoop" . Never saw the original since I just bought the bike like this.

How in the world did I find my ?.?

I don't get the question.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
speedstar scoop filter is the same part as the under tank filter.. hope that helps

Thank you. I ordered the K&N for the side, and noticed it fit into the top one so I ended up putting it under the tank. Ordered another one for the side. Hopefully here in 2 days. This is my first time under the tank with this bike. Wasn't sure what was under there. I bought it with all the goodies on it. I have only put 10 miles on it so far while I change everything out on it and bring it back to life after its long 16 year old nap.

It had only 260 miles on it from the original owner. It will be brand new again after I change everything out and revitalize everything. Will most likely be the lowest miles RS Warrior in the world I would imagine.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts