RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Great work, you are making orogress. Just wondering if you applied the k&n filter oil to the k&n air filter before install?
Very very faint. It felt as if it was pre-oiled to me. I also have a feeling there is still more oil in the system that will end up in the 'under the tank' airbox. I don't want it saturated with oil if there is. Since the tank is rather simple to remove now to me since I watched Bryan's video, I will have no issues checking it again after a week of riding it.

Hoping the really hot air through the bike in LA this week will dry out the inside of the bike well and return it from an oil pit to a perfectly lubricated bike again. Bike has less than 290 miles and the oil has been changed 2x already. Lol

I'm still freaked out a lil and very happy I rented a pick up truck to bring the bike 50 miles home after buying it rather than ride it home when I bought it. With 10 quarts inside of it, I am sure the ride home would have been disastrous for the bike.

Hopefully the 2nd clean K&N air filter put on the side will return it to a perfect beauty with no backfiring once again.

Then, the other other stuff to do.

Replace front and rear brake lines with SS lines and bleed.
Replace Clutch lines, and push/pull throttle cables with SS
Replace tires.

·
Administrator
28,811 Posts
Sounds great. Oh one thing. The k&n filter oil is not motor oil. Its a nifty red oil intended to let lots of air pass but still capture crud. Motor oil will probably reduce airflow capability. I keep a K&n filter clean-and-oil recharge kit on hand. I like the spray better than the mini capsules that come with new filters.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sounds great. Oh one thing. The k&n filter oil is not motor oil. Its a nifty red oil intended to let lots of air pass but still capture crud. Motor oil will probably reduce airflow capability. I keep a K&n filter clean-and-oil recharge kit on hand. I like the spray better than the mini capsules that come with new filters.
We are on the same page. Thanks. When I used to race, it was a dusty track so I used to clean them every 2 trackways with the oil changed on the Yamaha R1 and R6. When I was "younger" and moe into the speed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Awesome happy to have you aboard. Check out Ivan's ECU Flash.
The guy (An 83 year old male) I bought the bike from said they put a "small box" under the seat for the exhaust to run better. As soon as I saw the bike, I whipped off the seat to see a pouch and a Power Commander 3 inside so I am guessing the dealership installed a map on it. (But assuming Yamaha did anything correctly might be an issue). Bike was not backfiring or popping at all on the two quick neighborhood rides I took it on before the oil warmed up in this bike.
Wasn't until the oil leaked everywhere that I got backfiring and popping.
I think it was you who actually quoted here on the site in the past to check the air filters cleanliness first for that?

Looking forward to getting the air filter tomorrow from K&N to find out though!

Get this bike up to enjoyment phase and then the Ducati and leathers are going up for sale! Ready to sit upright a bit more but still have power.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I do love the sound of a Ducati .. with my body it would look a bit silly me on a Duke with Ape Hangers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Received the 2nd K&N air filter today. PS: Today, I am not covered in oil and made sure to look to see if the K&N were pre-oiled from the factory. They are. They are wrapped in plastic and are greasy to the touch.
Immediately took off the Speedster side cover and put it in. Decided to take it for a quick jaunt to see how it now responds without 10 quarts of oil in it and an oil throw up.

Start it up and head out about 4 miles through town. Stoplights and quick jumps to 3rd gear and back down.
Backfires upon deceleration which it did not do before the oil leak but in my head, this bike needs to dry out still inside from all that oil. Idle seems steadier today. A lil high around 1100 so I lowered it to just under 1000. Reset the time on the clock. Pedantic. Head back to the garage another 4 miles. Stop in front. Let it run for a bit and look for leaks and listen for rough running. Backfires seemed less on the way home. I'm sure there will still be a lil oil still in the breather hose that needs to get out.

Take 2 pics and put back in storage.
Will run it again tomorrow to see the backfiring and if it gets less and less and gets back to the purring bike that I initially had.
If not, I will change the spark plugs.

A positive day though. 82 degrees outside, no oil spewing out the airbox and the idle seems fine.

Also attached is a photo of the LED light I put in on "high beam". Need to take some pics at night still.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
When I bought this current Warrior it also had V&H pipes, church's kit and a PC3 but ran like crap. It turned out there was no map loaded onto the PC3 so make sure you check to see what map is loaded. After I loaded a few maps, I found one that was **** near perfect and got rid of 90% of the popping.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
When I bought this current Warrior it also had V&H pipes, church's kit and a PC3 but ran like crap. It turned out there was no map loaded onto the PC3 so make sure you check to see what map is loaded. After I loaded a few maps, I found one that was **** near perfect and got rid of 90% of the popping.
Worthy of checking out. Thank you for the thought. I most likely would have assumed that it was in there.But you know Yamaha techs.....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
A new day......

Updates.
No oil leak from hose under the left foot pedal/peg anymore. It seems as if that is a direct result of oil overflowing into the airbag and then out through there. (Most of you knew that already).
Bike still pops so loud upon deceleration though at times that it sounds like my 308 shooting inside a hallway. I'm scaring people on the street. Lol. Made me pull in the clutch a few times when I heard it go off just not to scare people in a city where people are already on edge lately.

Trying to get the new tires installed. Waiting for an appointment. I want to take it for a longer ride now but not taking chances with tires from 2004 still on it.

Spark plug change is most likely inevitable. I look forward to the first 3 but that last one with a stock airbox, I am not sure how to get to yet. Will have to search here and on YouTube to see how much has to be removed.

We are now up to 304 miles on her.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Did I miss the shot of the right side of the bike? ;) What exhaust do you have on it? I assume it's not the stock hot water heater. I am surprised no one mentioned the AIS block off plates. They are cheap and will eliminate much of the popping. This bike will always have some when you let off the throttle. It's part of the character of the bike.
Once you have everything else sorted research the Ivan's ECU tune.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Did I miss the shot of the right side of the bike? ;) What exhaust do you have on it? I assume it's not the stock hot water heater. I am surprised no one mentioned the AIS block off plates. They are cheap and will eliminate much of the popping. This bike will always have some when you let off the throttle. It's part of the character of the bike.
Once you have everything else sorted research the Ivan's ECU tune.

It currently has Samson pipes and a PCIII under the seat. (So no need for the Ivan's)

I have only ridden it a few times since purchase since it was too full of oil and I had the overflow. No popping upon deceleration when I rode it the first few times, now its obnoxious since the oil came pouring out the airbox on the side and it was in puddles in the airbox under the tank. I have new spark plugs. I look forward to the first 3 but not the last 1 due to the 300 unplugging I will have to do. LOL.
My triumph was popping like crazy after the full exhaust got put on so I did the AIS removal. If this still pops after the new spark plugs, I will do it on this bike as well.
Gotta get these new tires put on next before anything else so I can ride it for a longer ride than 2 miles at a time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
With the AIS and a good tune, the bike should be about 90 to 95% good with no popping.
Since It already has the Power commander, I am hoping that the pre-existing map inside of there should stop it all once I get the AIS installed. Still waiting on it. 1 more week.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts