RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'll first admit this may be a dumb question.

I'm looking to increase sound quality of exhaust. currently running Vance & Hines Big Shots, They sound nice with baffles but I'm looking for a little more attention when rolling (or standing still) on main st in daytona this year.

However, the sound with both baffles removed seems to be a radar for cops on "excessive noise" Will removing one of the two baffles adversely effect anything?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I ran them like that for a day, with both removed i gave up torque but it sounded awesome, with one removed i gave up torque and it sounded like both were still in.

i've since put both back in, which is a pain in the a#$. but Im happy again

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have V&H Big Shots as well and have struggled with deciding on some changes. I don't have first hand knowledge but have read many comments that point me to believe that it would have a noticeableeffect.

I was going to cut my pipesshorter (but keep them staggered) and realized that I would end up with 2 differentlength baffles.. after reading a lot of posts on different exhaust configs. I am thinkingI would be better off just buying shorter pipes with baffles.

I would assume that removing one baffle and not the other would have a noticeable effect on how it runs, but hopefully someone that knows more than me can answer your question as well as address the concerns I have with my setup.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I've always assumed that exhaust manufacturer's put at least some thought into the lengths of each pipe, numbers and angles of bends, and balancing things out so with that (assumption mind you) in mind I would have to say it couldn't be the best thing to do. The practical realistic side of me says it probably won't kill anything either but it's too simple to just find another baffle solution in my opinion. Try doing the washer on a bolt method. That way you get a little backpreasure without killing your sound and if the police hassle you about it they can check them and will find that they are baffled.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
After market baffles come in a variety of lengths, some with packing, some with out. If there is packing, remove it and you should get the sound you want. If there is no packing, either purchase a shorter baffle or cut half the length out of yours and weld back together. On an old Triumph 650, I cut8 inches out of a12 inch baffle and welded it back together. My neighbors were not pleased.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
seems to me you would have a **** of a time trying to tune the motor as one cyl. is going to run leaner than the other, i would try to tune both pipes the same

1 - 6 of 6 Posts