RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I have thumbed through quite a few posts regarding rear wheel bearing removal. I was advised to take it to the dealers, but all we have down here is a half hearted attempt at a dealership. It's more of a shack than anything else. The mechs working there are really good guys though and I would take it there save for the fact that I blew off the half drugged owner of the place because he got mad that I didn't order motorcycles from him. Anyways......

I do have all the facts about wheel bearing removal, but fail to see how the oil seal is removed. I tried prying it with a flat screwdriver but didn't want to put pressure on it since I don't know if that's the way to remove it. Any advice apreciated.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You can buy seal removal tools - but a flat blade screw driver works ok too. I ground the corners of mine round to prevent marring the rim / hub. Seals are pretty cheap...about $5 apeice, so I would plan on replacing them in any event.

·
Administrator
30,408 Posts
Page 4-5 of the service manual pictures removing the oil seals and bearings (the rear wheel section refers you to the front wheel section for this topic). Yes you should install new oil seals no matter what, its very much worth it. The seals can be removed with a flat blade screwdriver but the manual describes exactly how to arrange things. I don't remember if you have an e-copy of the service manual? If not you can get a link in Popular Mods. Oh, yes, use a bearing removal tool to pull the bearings and be really sure the cavity is clean clean clean before installing new bearings. Also, if you have a chromed STOCK front or rear wheel be sure there is no chrome inside the bearing cavity. Aftermarket rims might not have this problem, you'd have to measure. Have fun.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it, thanks to both you guys. I have the e-copy plus printed out. Was looking at the parts blowup of the rear, but page 4-5 explains it perfectly. Thanks again.

Xander

1 - 4 of 4 Posts