RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything special about removing motorcycle tires from rims? I have removed my rims from my bike in preparation for sending it out for a fatty mod. I need to have the tires removed. Can I go to a place like discount tire to have them remove the rubber, or should i got to a motorcycle shop? Don't know if standard car stuff will f* up a motorcycle rim or not.

·
Super Moderator
5,777 Posts
Unless you have the rim savers and the tools to do it right, I would recommend going to a shop to have it done. A lot less stress,and faster. Shouldn't cost that much.

·
Registered
263 Posts
any tire shop can help you out. but you have to beware of the person doing the job.

if they have a tire machine it is better. i have seen mechanics using tire irons to remove them and then mess up the rim while being rushed to get them done.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Some food for thought:

Don't dismount it until your ready to actually do it. I just had mine removed at thedealer for $4.00and due to some unexpected financial issues, can't do the wide kit. So now I'm guessing I'll have to pay $45 to have it remounted

·
Registered
330 Posts
When I bought a pair of new tires from a local dealer I asked a one question.

I said: "may I stand with baseball bat next to your mechanic when he works with my tires and rims?" Just not to miss the moment to slam him if he scratches the rim.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I take mine to car shop to break bead on back tire. Then put duct tape around rim and use generous amont of soapy water and remove and remont tire with extra long tire spoons. Dont scratch rim and keeps me out of jail for assualt on idiots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts