RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 99 Road Star,an a 02 Warrior,Im always looking for an other gear on the Warrior.Just stoped at my dealer an spoke to the mechanics about using a Road Star 5th gear 21/28(0.750) as the Warrior 5th gear is24/30(0.800) This would result in a taller gear an less RPMs at top end an a higher top end. Just thought I,d run it by you all as something to consider,all I have to purchase is the 5th gear the may evan get one on warenty,ie my Road Star? anyway I,m leaning towards this option.Your thoughts are welcome on this.[?]

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
Count me in. I don't care about a higher top end, but would love to drop the cruising rpm a bit!

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Will the roady 5th gear fit and work OK? I like the idea, I'm not going to be doing much racing in 5th anyway, I usually either prove my point through third or there was no point to prove

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Washingtonwarrior
The mechnic says it will work. remember the 2nd an 3rd gears have the same part #s main an counter shafts the same on both models

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. (I recently posted an opinion that wider ratios would be better.) Any chance you could provide part #'s?

·
Registered
16 Posts
That sounds like a great idea. The warrior could definitely use a taller 5th for interstate cruising... Wonder how you could recalibrate the speedo to compensate for the new gearing in 5th only???

·
Registered
814 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Timbob

That sounds like a great idea. The warrior could definitely use a taller 5th for interstate cruising... Wonder how you could recalibrate the speedo to compensate for the new gearing in 5th only???

The speedometer should not be effected by changing transmission gears, but only if you change the final drive, as in the pulley or pulleys.

I'd be interested in this mod also. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
576 Posts
why would you try and alter the inside of the tranny with questionable maybes? why not just change the gearing in the sprockets. either go to a bigger one in the front drive sprocket, or a smaller one in the back? Makes things easier with less guess work. AND, if you end up not likeing the cahnge, you can rectify it WITHOUT pulling the motor back out again. Just mu .02 cents.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Im one of those people that have thought out loud that our top gear isnt right and am interested in the outcome.
The reason why Im not so interested in changing the pullys is that Im happy with 1-4th gears... Part number 4NK-17151-00-00

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Monstrddg

Im one of those people that have thought out loud that our top gear isnt right and am interested in the outcome.
The reason why Im not so interested in changing the pullys is that Im happy with 1-4th gears... Part number 4NK-17151-00-00

Culd not agree more. I even lowered the front pulley by 1 tooth in order to make 1-4 shorter and faster. 5 is for cruising only, or those few times I have to hit 130+
I will definitely speak to my mechanic about this option and get his opinion. If its doable I will go for it.
Great idea in the first place!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Monstrddg,
Is part number 4NK-17151-00-00 for the gear set? To change gears you need a set of gears, one for the main shaft and one for the lay shaft.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Has anyone checked with a service department about this?
After pulling the part lists from both the Road star and the RSW I found that the Axle main shaft has a diffrent part number, this may be a problem or not?
part/road star/RSW
gear, 5th pinion (28T)/ 4nk-17151-00-00/5PX-17151-00-00
gear, 5th wheel (21t)/ 4nk-17251-00-00/5px-17251-00-00
axle, main / 4wm-17411-00-00/5px-17411-00-00
axle, drive / 4wm-17421-00-00/4wm-17421-00-00

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I'm with Frankie, A more quick Warrior between 1-4 and the same cruising speed in 5 gear? It sounds great!

Keep this topic alive guys.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts