RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock forks are bottoming out even with the adjustment crank to stiffest setting. proggressive doesnt have rep listed am i stuck with stock replacements? any ideas icant believe i wore them out in 19000 miles.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Does the oil need to be replaced/filled? Taking a fork apart requires a couple special tools and is a pain in hiney.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have any leakage and the next time im at home icould replace and maybe go heaver wt . I read in a couple of articles that the springs start to wear out. I had to make a spcl piece for my 83 IT 490 when i changed out fork seals. If no one out there has not exp probs ill change oil and go frm there.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Here's some insight and excellent infofrom MrWilson with R1 forks: http://home.comcast.net/~wizard102/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html

Some reference reading: http://rswarrior.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=fork+AND+userid%3a5896&o=DateDescending

Edited: I recently called Race Tech, which is approx 5-miles from where i live, to get a carry-in price to replacethe fork oil only!

[*]
$165.00 L&M -$135.00 L & $30.00 oil

[*]
Forks dismantled completely and all wearing parts inspected. If ok, reassembled and ready to pick-up in 3-days[/list][/list]

I'll be replacing the fork oilnext week or soas part of the steering stem brg inspect & repacking and will also be polishing mytriple tree set so that i can at least admire a visual change for a very labor intensive factory recommended PM. I'll also rotate the billet chrome fork tube covers that have been beaten-up over a period of time

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
theres some 5degree triple trees on ebay might go that route and get good extened forks and finish the bigdog mastiff look to go with my 4.7 gallon fuel tank

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I was going to change the springs and oil originally but in the end I just bought some R1 forks. The 98-01 forks fit strait on and give you a 20% increase in the spring rate and considerably better damping.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Goto a set of R1 forks.

I hear that it makes a world of difference

1 - 8 of 8 Posts