RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

has anyone had experience in replacing the oil transfer case? What would that entail? One shop around me is saying that they would need to remove the engine. Is that true? They quoted me 850 for doing this, is that reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
……… One shop around me is saying that they would need to remove the engine. Is that true?
No it's NOT. You need to remove the transfer case before removing the engine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No it's NOT. You need to remove the transfer case before removing the engine.

Thanks Alan, so can the case be replaced without taking the engine out? Is it hard to do, to replace it? Are there manuals out there that could teach me how to do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotta ask, why do you need to replace it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have the case cracked where the oil change bolt located. It's a long story. It's a little wet every day so I need to probably replace it. I bought a spare one from eBay. So I need to figure out the best way to fix it.

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Make the inside of that thing clean. It has it's own oil pump. Clean that too.

The rear shaft is also the front pulley. Suggest new bearings etc.

Check the service manual.

Get a free e-copy of the service manual pdf (it's around here someplace) and maybe find a place to print the 'remove' and 'reinstall' pages. The referenced sections can be viewed on-screen. Review the fluid refill steps.

Oh. Get gaskets too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make the inside of that thing clean. It has it's own oil pump. Clean that too.

The rear shaft is also the front pulley. Suggest new bearings etc.

Check the service manual.

Get a free e-copy of the service manual pdf (it's around here someplace) and maybe find a place to print the 'remove' and 'reinstall' pages. The referenced sections can be viewed on-screen. Review the fluid refill steps.

Oh. Get gaskets too.

Thank you Arizona. I looked at the manual for a while now. It looks doable, I'm considering doing this myself. What would your recommendation be? On the scale 1-10 how hard will this be? And would this be about a day of work given I have all the parts and tools?

Thanks again

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
It comes out deceptively fast. If you have to change the guts then it could go all day. But why be in a rush!

It occurs to me there is a YouTube. It's something like changing the road star warrior middle drive. I have not taken mine apart. There are at least half-dozen threads around here but I think all their pics were lost last migration.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
I put all 07 parts in my 05 just so your know. The newer year models has a better middle drive shaft. The left side bearing is a wider bearing and should be stronger and the pulley end has the newer splines for securing the pulley on the shaft. If you are mechanically inclined, it's not a hard job but a little time consuming.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys one more question,

Should I automatically buy all the gaskets or should I inspect the old ones and see if I can reuse them?

Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know the answer to that...

Actually this maybe dumb but I don't... I have not really done much mechanical work. Iv seen some videos on YouTube where people reuse old ones but in the manual it shows it as replace. I don't mind buying new just want to make sure.

·
Registered
418 Posts
REPLACE all the required gaskets so as not to cause you double work. Kind of like starting off with a clean piece of paper. It is very do-able and you should be fine if following the shop manual step x step. Good luck!

Rg

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
REPLACE all the required gaskets so as not to cause you double work. Kind of like starting off with a clean piece of paper. It is very do-able and you should be fine if following the shop manual step x step. Good luck!

Rg

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Rg

One more question, where do you go to buy gaskets for our bikes? Would it be partzilla?

·
Registered
418 Posts
ag58;

-I love partzilla. If they don't have it in stock, it usually gets off of backorder pretty quick. The prices are very reasonable and fast shipping. Also the customer service is pretty great. Good luck and you got this. If unsure, use your search engine on this site or ask the fellas as they are a WEALTH of knowledge.
Rg

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ag58;

-I love partzilla. If they don't have it in stock, it usually gets off of backorder pretty quick. The prices are very reasonable and fast shipping. Also the customer service is pretty great. Good luck and you got this. If unsure, use your search engine on this site or ask the fellas as they are a WEALTH of knowledge.
Rg

Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
How to remove oil tank cover

alex.gitman.58 .…
Suggest you read the enclosed link to prevent dimpling/damage to the cover! A warm environment is conducive to removal too.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts