RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed a BAK awhile back and really had not riddin in a heavy rain until Tuesday evening. Im on my home from work and it started pouring on me. Traffic was bad so I wasnt moving very fast. When I got home I just parked the bike in the garage and went inside. Wednesday morning I go out to get on my bike and it wont start, if stuttered and coughed but would not fire; i killed the battery trying to start it. I pulled the seat off and put the battery charger on it, while I was waiting for it to charge I pulled the tank off and looked to see if anything was water logged. My K&N's were soaked so I pulled them off and there was moisture in my TB's. I dried out the TB's and it started after a couple of cranks. I let it run until warm then stuck the filters back on it and rode it to work, or course it ran like crap till the heat and dry air dried the filters but all is well now. Has anyone else had this issue with rain?

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I've ridden in the rain a lot and not had this happen but it may be because I believe that generally it's stopped or slowed raining by the time I get stopped. We had this issue with a car wash on my wifes bike and now we're careful to not spray up under the tank too much. Maybe letting it run for a bit after you stop will help. May not work but it's worth a try since the bike is hot, maybe a couple of minutes of idling before shtting it off will evaporate some of the moisture

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I have not and I have been stuck in some pretty heavy downpours. FWIW, I have the PR BAK. What kind of BAK are you running?

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
ekmaint said:
Did you oil your filters
I never thought of this... great idea. You used some sort of aerosol product?
Let me know what you used. IMO, shooting to much oil will kill the air flow.

I plan to use the K&N DryChargers (scroll down) who prevent the rain and dust to get into filters...

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Have you managed to find a Drycharger that fits our 1290s?

TECK said:
ekmaint said:
Did you oil your filters
I never thought of this... great idea. You used some sort of aerosol product?
Let me know what you used. IMO, shooting to much oil will kill the air flow.

I plan to use the K&N DryChargers (scroll down) who prevent the rain and dust to get into filters...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I’ve got the PR’s and spent about 2-3 hours in pouring rain (2 weeks ago, trip was over 6 hours), left the bike in the rain (for lunch), drove it slow and fast. Result: Nothing!
She barks and snuffles through the BAK as nothing happens (not even a hick-up!).

I reckon: Oil the filters.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Just found out that the Outwares Pre-filter 20-1663 fits the 1290s on our Churchkey vBaks. $12.95 each but a form fit so I think I shall try them. At leastthey will eliminate all doubt. They are water resistant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts