RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a set o super sweep radious bars off ebay and did a trial fit they were to low and would hit with my break away cruise, so I got a set of
1-1/2" LA choppers riser extensions for 1-1/4 bars, problem I see is there to big to fit in the upper tree holes, question wht do I do about the rubber bushings? the bars sit inside the risers as they are tapered!

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
I run 1 1/2" Accutronics 4 inch risers, I probably spelled that wrong, but they are for harleys and i had to put some washers under the risers to keep them off of the triple trees so the bushings worked like they are suppose to. I just removed the rubber bushings that the stock risers sit in because they are to small to work for those size extensions. My risers sit just above the trees so you can't see under them but they do not touch the trees.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Gilly do you have a photo up close so I could see . Please
No, i could not find anything to show you. I think i used 2 washers on each side. They sit inside of the riser holes in the trees and the holes in the washers just fit over the riser bolts so they actually sit on the center sleeve of the riser bushing, able to move with the rubber bushing. Hope this helps. 2 washers gave me plenty of clearance to not hit the top of the tree and scratch it up.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gilly thanks for the info, are your trees stock or are they raked aftermaket? And if your not using any rubber under the risers, the washers are keeping the vibaration out of your bars?

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
I have Mortons 7 degree trees on there now and i do have some rubber washers under the risers. I have about 1/4" rubber washers under the risers on top of the trees and some smaller ones under the trees to kind of rubber insulate my bars since they only have small holes in the top tree just for the bolts to go through but when i had my stock trees on there with the rubber bushings that was pressed in, that's when i used the washers under the risers. The washers were small enough to sit on the metal sleeves that the bushings have in the center and not touch the trees when the bars would move back and forth, giving me the rubber isolation i needed for vibration. I hope i am explaining this good enough for you to get what i am talking about. If not i will try to get you a pic of what i did.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Top Triple Tree Riser Bushings '101'

Perhaps this will bring clearity to your new spacer assembly

Stock top triple tree LH Riser Port (RP). Note that the OEM tree isn't flat across the RP as are the aftermarket trees.

LH Riser Bushing (14mm ID x 30mm OD x 40mm H) is akin to an automotive stabilizer or strut bushing and is a press fit into the tree and also not available from Yamaha as a separate part.

LH Riser Bushing with OEM Parts: Cupped rubber riser bushing SEAL and Spacer washer.
The top tree is counterbored 36mm ID to accommodate the Cupped rubber riser bushing SEAL.

Cupped rubber riser bushing SEAL assembled w/o Spacer washer. Take note that it sets flush and tight with the heavy inner wall bushing and is designed to prevent water/moisture entrapment.
It is not designed to prevent handlebar vibration.
The major ID of the Cupped rubber riser bushing SEAL is approx 1.25" (32mm) and fits perfectly with 1-1/4" bars/risers.

Spacer washer in place that is designed to isolate the stock riser from the top triple tree. Your new arrangement should mimic this assembly if you don't want handle bar vibration.
Take note that the spacer washer doesn't touch the rubber part or the counterbored hole in the top tree. It sits only on the heavy wall of the riser bushing and prevents any detrimental effect from over-torque of the riser bolts with the stock parts.
The spacer washer is 28mm OD x 14mm ID x 1.5mm Thk

Bottom view of riser bushing.
Take note that the heavy wall inner sleeve creates an isolation, both mechanically & electrically, to the bottom of the triple tree if using the OEM cable/harness chrome bracket.

These risers presented a bit of a challenge as they aren't machined flat on the bottom and i chose to leave them as is and picked up a proper fitting rubber grommet and spacer that i customized to fit the gap between the tree and riser and also retain the isolation of the stock bushing design.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Pressing the old bushings out was a little tough when i did it. Be prepared, they are in there pretty good. Made a loud pop when they finally gave way, i thought i busted the top tree.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts