RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
Maybe you know my tales of road trips through out Eastern Europe. Well now its time for an American trip.

The trip started in Kyiv, Ukraine. I drove first from Kiev to Prague, Czech Republic. That took about 4-5 days. The weather was 50/50. It would be sunny and warm for hours then turn black and dump rain for 20-30 minutes then back to sunny. I spent alot of time at gas stations hiding. That was a blessing in disguise as I got to talk to a bunch of bikers all doing the same. But Eastern Europe is my favorite for the people and the ease of finding a camping spot

Thats where I picked up a hitchhiker. I put an add out on a hitchikers in Europe page on facebook seeing if I could give anyone a ride along the way. Ended up having a Colombian girl take me up on the offer and she tagged along for about 10 days from Prague to Paris. Weather was still 50/50. We planned to go through the Alps but it was raining in the mountains so we avoided that and went through Germany a bit of Switzerland and of course France. In France we stayed in a town called Mulhouse. It was awesome! They are known for 3 museums. 1. being the largest private care collection in the world, we didnt go there as I was before and its expensive. 2. their amazing Train museum and 3. their awesome Museum on electricity.

From Mulhouse it was an uneventful ride to Paris where the temps were 104!!!

I had running around to do to get the bike ready for shipping. I used Air Canada as every year they run a special to fly you and your motorcycle between Europe and Canada. All told it cost $1500 USD to have Yoshi sent to Canada. He might be the only Warrior to cross the ocean by boat and plane!

I flew the day after Yoshi so they would have time to get him through customs in Canada so when I landed I could just hop on and ride off. SOOOOOOO easy I was amazed at how simple it all was! From Montreal, Canada I made my way to Dover, NH. This is the first time the bike and I have been in America together in 10 years!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I have been back in America for about a week now. Spending time with one of my old colleagues from my days in Antarctica. We hadnt seen each other in 10 years so it has been fun catching up. She has a house in Dover and rents rooms to college folks and just happened to have a spare room open for me.

I had a week to kill so I made a trip up to Maine to visit some other Antarctic friends. While I was there I decided I wanted a Lobster Roll. I stopped at a roadside cafe and when the waitress came I asked her what a Lobster Roll was. She looked at me as if I was some kind of monster.
I clarified with "I am from Kansas and have never had one."
"You mean you have never had one from us?"
"No I mean I have never had a lobster roll EVER"
She then started to try to explain to me what a lobster was....
"No I know what a Lobster is I dont understand the roll part."
"well its a roll."
I stared at her blankly clearly still lost.
"you know bread roll."
"Ohh its bread! Ok I was thinking something along the lines of sushi. Ok I will take one of those."

The lobster roll was ok her reaction to my question was the best part

From there I made it to Bar Harbor. Then over to the White Mountains where I met up with another guy. I didnt know him but he was also from Kansas living up here with the Army. We had mutual friends that put us in touch. He came up on his Triumph to the mountains and we rode around and ended the night a campsite living the high life, Miller High Life that is.

So on the 5th I had to be in Albany, NY because I need to fly back to Greenland. I left most of my things at my friends house in Dover, NH and drove to Albany. I had ended up getting a storage unit as my return date is more of a moving target than a firm deal.

Anyways got on the New York Air National Guard (NYANG) plane to fly to Greenland. Its an easy 3 hour flight to Goose Bay Canada, refuel, then another 3 hours to Kangerlussuaq Greenland.
We took off as normal. Made Goose Bay and got some ice cream while they refueled. Then on to Greenland. We were 30 minutes from landing when the plane got a call that some dude somewhere sent an order to have their planes inspected. so we turned around to fly back to Albany. 30 minutes from landing, 30 MINUTES.... We flew back to Goose Bay got more fuel and onto Albany. my 6 hour flight turned into an 18 hour day with 12 hours in a shitty cargo net seat with a frozen ass because the climate control worked intermittently.

Talk about the longest ice cream run EVER!

Now waiting in Albany for this inspection to be complete so we can try again, hopefully tomorrow

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SO when I get back fro Greenland around August 20. I need to make my way back to Kansas. Going to bounce around a bit seeing some friends but this is my general route.

If anyone is on the way or knows of cool stuff to check out let me know!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Back into your traveling bug again milkman, good on you. I followed you last times, will do this again. Have fun and keep us informed. What happened to that other lovely 'traveling lady?

Dutch

·
Premium Member
3,367 Posts
So glad you are back here so now we can see this country through your eyes. You got another follower here as well. Too bad you ain't coming to the Dirty South.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UGHhhhhh... Still stuck in Albany, NY... Not sure whats going on with the Air National Guard but all their planes are either broken or under inspection... Not clear what will happen from here... Just taking it a day at a time

Flying Dutchman- Which travelling lady? The Columbian girl that was hitch hiking just wanted to get to Paris so we parted ways there.

YamaWeezle- Where are you at, I mean town? My route is based around stopping to see friends. If its not to far I can for sure arrange a meet!

Hesftysmurf- Ya I have to do some planning so I can see things in stages. The south is on my list just not this year.

I-man and riding rules- Thanks for the support! Makes me want to continue posting. This post as I go thing is actually a bit of work!

AlanH-Muskegon, MI is where the ferry I found goes from over to Milwakee

California Cruiser- This whole trip is routed around seeing old friends I worked with in the past. Also meeting new ones! So I got a couple up in Detroit I want to vist.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
YamaWeezle- Where are you at, I mean town? My route is based around stopping to see friends. If its not to far I can for sure arrange a meet!
I'm in Clinton...based on your map, it Looks like you're crossing the Mississippi at Marquette??? It's a couple hours north of me, but wonderful riding. Keep us posted ;)

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I had a weekend in Albany. So ran around and up to Saratoga Springs. A lot was closed due to them setting up for a concert. So I went to a car museum. Pretty cool little place but the winner was a bbq joint I found! Oh god was it amazing!!! Just man I forgot about good bbq!

After stuffing myself I parked the bike in my storage unit again. Then the next morning got on a stretched C-130J-30 and made it to the coast of Greenland.

We had a rest day because of course the planes with skis, to take us farther, are still broke.. so I walked around town the river is way up due to the enormous amount of melt water from the glacier from all the heat this year. I visited the sled dogs and just relaxed.
Hopefully fly to Summit Station today, if the NY Air Guard decides to get it together...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well made it back from Greenland!

Had a couple days to hang out in Albany for work. Then I drove over to Plymouth, MA. I just had to see the rock. Ohh what a disappointment that was! More like a pebble! Anyways before I got there I went to Cohos Falls and found a cool restaurant called travelers that gave free books to customers! So I gave them an old book and picked up a new.

Next stop was Mystic Aquarium. That was cool! The beluga whales and seals!

Now camping at Devils Hophead state park in Connecticut. Going to be here tonight and tomorrow. Sunday meeting another old Antarctican friend of mine in Massachusetts then towards Pittsburgh I go! If your around Hartford on Saturday and want to meet let me know. I have plenty of space for an additional tent at the campground if anyone wants to come out

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I stayed at the devils hopyard a couple night as I was waiting on my friend to be free and trying to get over my cold.

I spent a few hours looking at dinosaur footprints just south of Hartford .

Then went up to Massachusetts to meet Joe, a guy I spent 9 months locked up with in Antarctica at the South Pole. We hadn’t seen each other in 10 years so it was fun to catch up hang out on his boat and play fetch with his dog.

From there I stopped in Springfield to see a dr, Seuss museum and look at some Indians. Was a cool little museum then on to Poughkeepsie to see the FDR house.

At the moment I’m near Monticello NY at another friends house but tomorrow I head towards Pittsburgh and camp near then up to Detroit to see another old friend.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
That look awesome and looks like your having a gr8t time..

Ride safe....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The remaining ride to Kansas was pretty uneventful.
Dirty Yoshi at the start of a bike/car show. Ain’t the prettiest thing here and I’ve got little chance to win anything but the kids are gonna have fun getting to climb on and touch at least one vehicle here!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts