RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, I just finished the "Perfect PC III Install" thinking that would correct the problem. It did help keep the throttle position reading at zero, it jumped around before. I also checked all the spark plug gaps and connections of all the hoses. The thing still jumps around at idle nomatter if it is warm or cold. Watching the PC III readout while it sits at idle the RPM jumps around from jsut over 800 to over 1100 RPM. I cant get the thing to even out. Any suggestions on what to try next to correct the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

J-man

·
Administrator
29,923 Posts
When the bike is WARM its normal for the idle rpm in the PC3 (or laptop) display to jump around. Its a V2 motor it lopes. The key is once you have followed the Dynojet PC3USB instructions to 'set zero% throttle' at zero% on the display, that zero% throttle display should be rock-steady. But the rpm display will still jump around a little, its a V2.

That being said, the reason the specified idle is between 850 ~ 950 rpm is because the rpm display will jump around about that much. Its a chore to get the rpm set so it's as close to 950 rpm without going over because of this normal V2 fluctuation.

If its jumping from 800 ~ 1100 on your PC3 software display then remember to be sureboth air filters are clean, the plugs are clean and gapped, the bike is at operating temperature, then set the idle. Its handy to twist the throttle after each idle screw adjustment and wait for it to return to idle. That screw adjustment doesn't thrill me much its a PITA.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
another cause can be the TPS. It takes a security style T25 bit. Even if you have a newer bike that was never involved with the recall. It still may be in need of adjustment. I went through this a few months ago, unhooked the PCIII, no fix, went back to my original ECU, no fix, adjusted the RPM's, you get the idea. After all of that, i tried the TPS and never have had a problem since.
Good Luck

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I guess what gets me is that I never had this problem until about a month ago. The bike was running fine and one day it started to act up at stop lights. Its funny because for a few days it wants to die no matter how long you have been riding it every time you come to a stop. Other times it is only when it is cold. I cant figure it out because it is not the same all the time. I have checked the plugs, the filters look good, I have checked all my conections. I thought that it might be the temp sensor but about the time I go to get it and try it out the bike wont run warm or cold at idle.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
jgreen53 said:
 Thanks for the info.  I guess what gets me is that I never had this problem until about a month ago.  The bike was running fine and one day it started to act up at stop lights.  Its funny because for a few days it wants to die no matter how long you have been riding it every time you come to a stop.  Other times it is only when it is cold.  I cant figure it out because it is not the same all the time.  I have checked the plugs, the filters look good, I have checked all my conections.  I thought that it might be the temp sensor but about the time I go to get it and try it out the bike wont run warm or cold at idle.  
Sounding more like TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) after your last comments to me. That was exactly what mine was doing.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
If it turns out that it is not your TPS,you might look into your LCV,this is what normally gives you your high idle when you first start it up,then lets it come down to regular idle.If it is acting up,it could be your problem.Just something else to check.I could be wrong.Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pulled everything apart: Turns out that the right rear plug was not gapped at all, almost touching the electrod and the front right plug wire was not connected properly. I also cleaned the filters, eventhough they were not to dirty and checked every thing again and now she idles fine.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts