RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been chasing this gremlin all winter and I don't know what to do. The last thing I want to do is drop it off at a dealer and have them come back with a "don't know what's wrong, here's your $1k bill," but I will if that is what it comes to.

So far, the following has been replaced:
  • Spark Plugs
  • Wires
  • Coils
  • CPS
  • Battery
  • Cleaned and oiled K&N filters
  • Fresh gas
  • Oil and filter
  • Cobra FI 2000 Black
Symptoms:
When attempting to start, it'll crank and crank and crank, hiccup, crank and crank and crank, hiccup hiccup.... until I give it a little twist of the throttle and it'll eventually idle at normal position.

From there, giving it a twist will:

• Sound like it's misfiring on one cylinder for a couple seconds
  • Rev perfectly fine until 2.5k RPM's
  • Break up really bad between 2.5k and 3.5k RPM's
  • Dropping throttle will return to slightly lower idle RPM (500ish)
At that point:
  • Driving it up and down the road (10th of a mile at most) exhibits above
  • Coasting in neutral to driveway will idle low (250ish RPM's)
  • Die
  • Hard to turn over again, eventually will, idle low and die
Now here's the kicker: the reason all those parts were replaced was because of the same symptoms prior to winter... the only thing I can think of would be the injectors and/or fuel filter, but I don't understand why it is fine until it hits the 2.5 to 3.5 RPM range, and won't go back to normal idle.

Diagnostics mode doesn't show anything out of the ordinary.
8k on the odometer and basic services have been performed.
I haven't run FI cleaner through, as I have had really bad luck with the stuff in the past.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT:07.14.20 - Crossed out the issues that were resolved.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Only thing comes to mind with those symtoms might be TPS bad.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not trying to repost, but I feel compelled to update.

Frustrated after working on it this winter, I brought it to the shop. $500 later, they say it's fixed. I ride it home and didn't notice anything that would concern me. Since then, I've had it out a couple times, didn't think it felt like it was misbehaving...but the issue reared it's ugly head yesterday. Now I'm able to pinpoint the issue, but I'm not bringing it back to the shop unless I absolutely have to.

Under slight load, like cruising along at 55 mph in 5th gear, or going up a slight grade in 3rd, if the RPM is around the 2k mark, on a completely random moment, it will misfire. Sometimes so subtle it feels like a strong breeze pushed me, or so violently it's as if the bike missed an entire engine cycle.

I've since ditched the PC (for sale if anyone is interested) and picked up a Cobra FI simply because it was on sale and a buddy had one on his Stryker and I was very impressed. Is there anything I can do with the FI to try and pinpoint a potential problem?

The only other thing that has popped up, and I don't know if it has anything to do with this, but the clutch is not fully disengaging. If I drop it into first while stopped, the bike will creep and eventually die. I think I need to replace the cable due to stretch.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I’m glad you explained the lines through some of your text. At 4am I’m reading it and thought is this code or has he had trouble underlining his text. Sorry to read about the dramas you are having. I’m certain the guys here will help you out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What did the shop do to the bike?
They reworked the ignition wires, because apparently I suck at them (when they took it for a ride, they just pulled on the wires and one of them came out), replaced the seal for the cps (which I knew I tore when troubleshooting) and checked the map on the PC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts