RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually ride to meet up friends in next town via backroards through 12-14 miles each way. That road is 45MPH speed limit and mostly folks go upto 50MPH without being spotted by Cops.

My question is will the RPM range of 1700-1800 be lugging the engine when I reach 5th gear at 50MPH and cruise at that speed?

I did two trip so far and stayed in 5th gear at 50MPH cruising and whenever needed to accelerate in certain zone, I downshifted although 5th gear itself had enough pulling torque.

Advice and suggestions besides asking to go faster? :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
yes.. in 4th and 5th at least 2k
aparantly you can damage conrods if you ride those gears with too low revs

(p.s. and go faster ;) )

·
Registered
684 Posts
Many many moons ago when I had my Bonneville engine rebuilt I had to go through a long run in period as the motor had been blue printed ( which meant the motor was tighter than buying a brand new one ). So the discussion came to which gear to cruise in so on and so forth. A thing called “ Mean Velocity was explained to me. Now there are two sorts of MV, one is for fluids and the other mechanical. I’m hoping that this is still relevant in bikes today. When a manufacturer is making a model for the first time, they have to arrive at a symmetry between the flywheel ( crank ), the gearing ratio along with the oil pump to name a few. Because a twin works harder that a triple or quad engine the manufacturer has to create a hearing ratio that will work with a particular engine. As an example for every stroke of a warrior engine a 4 cyl bike will have 2 strokes. This is where MV comes in. If your in say 5th gear the bike works at a base premium speed of 60 mph, but if your in 5th and your bike is doing 50mph you are below the base premium speed ( which causes labouring. When you labour the motor the rings can start flexing and the pressure they are put under is not what they are meant to do. The timing of the firing of the spark plugs gets thrown off which will cause there to be incorrect burning of the gasses. Even though these things are happening at a rate you can’t see with the human eye, it is happening and life is being taken out of the motor. I could go into more, but I think you get the gist. Because the Warrior is a beast of work, you have to ride to whatever conditions and take note by listening to the motor and change up or down depending on the situation. When I’m riding around town I never touch 5th gear as it’s a waste because of the speed limit or traffic situation.
The meaning of MV.
Average speed is distance divided by time interval for the distance travelled. This equates to the movement of the conrods as they push the pistons up and down. When you labour in a gear, you upset the MV that the manufacturer created for that engine.
I tried to edit it down, but the brain just kept on churning the info out lol.😎😎🐝

·
Registered
349 Posts
I usually ride to meet up friends in next town via backroards through 12-14 miles each way. That road is 45MPH speed limit and mostly folks go upto 50MPH without being spotted by Cops.

My question is will the RPM range of 1700-1800 be lugging the engine when I reach 5th gear at 50MPH and cruise at that speed?

I did two trip so far and stayed in 5th gear at 50MPH cruising and whenever needed to accelerate in certain zone, I downshifted although 5th gear itself had enough pulling torque.

Advice and suggestions besides asking to go faster? :)

I stay in 4th gear from around 45 Mph until about 55 Mph then shift into 5th. Like the others said, the warrior does not like to steady cruise below 2k RPM...In fact I believe she ( My bike) cruises better at a minimum of 2300 RPM's.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
I will kinda agree as well to not lug the motor even tho that is almost the limit. I would probably be in 4th gear as well.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I try to keep my rpm's above 2k.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I tried to edit it down, but the brain just kept on churning the info out lol.
Wordy Nah Nah Nah

I listen to the motor and use the gear accordingly, 3rd & 4th around our streets .. 5th once I’m over 80kph (50mph) and increasing speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another question I have though. The previous owner gave me some stock parts and one of the part is 32 teeth pulley. I am not sure if my Warrior has 31 or 33 at present. I am assuming it will not be 32 teeth on Warrior because he gave me parts saying that box is original stock parts.

Could it be a reason that I am getting lower RPM at 50MPH? I see around 1700 at 50MPH in 5th gear and 2000 in 4th gear.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I think the standard pulley is 31T. As you increase or decrease the number of teeth, the whole dynamic of the bike is changed. I think ( and I’m open to correction ) that by going to a 32T pulley that you will lose the low down grunt, but gain in the upper gears.😎😎🐝

·
Registered
691 Posts
OEM is 32t I believe.

A search of the RSWarrior site reveals this

Author ErnC

30 tooth your RPMs will increase 6.7%
31........................................ 3.2%
33..............................decrease 3%

Author Stewster

A few of us over here have done the 33 tooth front and the 65 tooth rear. With a speedo drd. And set correctly at 62mph (100km) it is reading 2150rpm. Anything under 62 and your in 4th gear. at 80mph (128km) it is approx 2500 - 2600. The bike in 1st flat out will do 56mph (90km) no real difference in fuel economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Yeah so stock is 32 teeth. Baron's has a 31 and Yamaha used to sell a 31 tooth as well. The 33 tooth pulley can be found on the early Roadstar 1600.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks or info folks.

Looks like only front pulley cover area needs to be opened up to check out the front pulley. Maybe in next weekend of two, I will do that. If it is 33T then I might want to put back in 32T to increase the RPM. That will help me in 50-55MPH cruise due to speed limit on that road.

I will dig up some info from service manual and/or videos posted here and in Youtube to see how to swap pulley.

If I already have 31T pulley then I will keep everything as is,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BTW, mine 2009 year model of Warrior. Not sure if there were different number of teeth in front or back pulleys over the 2002 through 2009 years range.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Pullies are all the same between all the Warriors 32 front and 70 rear.
Here is a little video to help you understand the process of a pulley swap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts