RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My first issues as a new warrior owner have started. Bike was running great until the past 2 days and I'm not too sure what's going on. I haven't changed anything on it recently. While holding throttle steady at cruising speeds, it feels like for a split second the throttle would be choppy and then it'll return to normal and then repeat. Feels like intermittent hesitation or like the engine is losing power even though my hand is steady on the throttle. It's kind of subtle but I can feel it and frequent enough to concern. When I stopped at a light and put it in neutral, the RPMs started rising to 1300 then dropping to 600 over and over for a minute or two. This only happened one time. I started to notice that in between shifts right when I would start giving it gas, there would be hesitation before throttle would kick in. The lighter the throttle I gave it, the worse this would happen. I checked my oil and I noticed a slight/moderate smell of gas in the oil but didn't see any separation. My gas light has also been coming on frequently after only 50-60 miles after topping it off. Today I went to the gas station and a few minutes after letting it idle, I slightly cracked the throttle and the RPMs then dropped all the way down and the bike stalled. But it started right back up after. Also, I'd like to mention that if I crack the throttle a little when idling, the RPMs will drop to 500 or 600 then rise back up to 900. I'd like to note that I do have samson ground pounder exhaust and a cone air filter fitted where the coffin used to be. I'm starting to look into fuel controllers to possibly help with the situation. Currently looking at a Cobra PowrPro but I don't know. Any recommendations on tuners or any input on this situation at all? This is my first bike and I'm kind of disappointed as I just purchased it less than a month ago.

·
Administrator
29,925 Posts
This doesn't sound like a fuel manager problem. It's been running great, right? Now this odd behavior.

Are there any error codes when you shut off the motor using the handlebar off switch?

Did you work on or around any vacuum lines? Check the hoses and the block-off nipples on and near the intakes.

Check that the two dry breaks are properly seated by disconnecting one at a time, spray a shot of WD40 inside the female half then put it back together until you hear the audible click.

When any of these symptoms happen, pull over safely and shut off the motor and quickly open the fuel tank filler cap. Does it whoosh air as it opens as if there is vacuum in the top fuel tank?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it was running great until this happened. No error lights are present. A few weeks ago I did replace the male end of the first dry break due to the original one leaking. But it ran great after the replacement and I made sure there was the click. I didn't touch any vacuum lines but I'll double check to make sure everything is snug. One thing to note is that I did add some royal purple fuel injector cleaner about 200 miles ago, so I ordered new spark plugs to see if it will help. But with only 7400 miles I doubt this is the issue. Next time I take it for a ride I'll have to check the fuel cap whoosh your talking about. The bike still starts well but im stumped what this could be.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
So since she is new to you let's try this. Do what Zona told you about the WD40 and make sure they dry breaks are clean, zap a little WD40 and make sure they are snug and click. One thing I always do when I get a new toy is just stare at it. Vacuum lines become a problem on cars as they age as rubber dries up and cracks and any little un-metered air will wreck havoc and drive you crazy. Just remove the tank or when doing the dry breaks and look over the lines and make sure they are all connected. Make sure none are crimped or bent weirdly. Also make sure none are cracked or broken.
Also when the bike is nice and warmed up what is your idle as it should be around 900 to 950.
Look over the battery and make sure the ground is clean and secure and the cables look good.
Finally if this oil is from the previous owner drain and give her a nice oil change. The gas in the oil is never a good thing and I doubt you are running super rich to wash gas down the cylinders.
It also seems like you have the stock airbox so a fuel programmer is not "really" needed but it will always help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So about a week ago the negative wire terminal that is screwed onto the battery broke off. I ended up soldering on a new clamp at the end of the ground wire so it would attach to the battery. Again, bike was running fine after this. I do not have the stock coffin air cleaner. I have a cone filter fitted to a short elbow that is attached to the inlet tube. I also forgot to mention that on deceleration and in between shifting the bike is crackling and popping much more and louder than it did before everything started to go downhill.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
That spike air cleaner is purely cosmetic. Power comes from the removal of the stock air box. You need to check to see if your AIS has been blocked off as well which will help with the popping.
I would go back and check the positive and negative cables, connectors and connecting points. Nothing is forever and wiring can get messed up on the inside and you wouldn't know it till you tried bending that wire.

·
Administrator
29,925 Posts
Yes it was running great until this happened.
No error lights are present.
There can be codes appear in the gauge display when you shut-off the motor using the handlebar off switch. Not all are accompanied by the check engine light. The e-manual shows how to use on-board diagnostics to read history.

BTW Royal Purple makes good stuff and I doubt that created spark plug troubles.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Curious how old the battery is? I ask because shortly after I bought my Warrior, about the 2nd ride, I noticed a bit of surging and cutting out when I would get on the throttle. The local yamaha mechanic suggested a new battery, he said when the battery gets low on these bikes with all the electronics these days they do funny things. I put a new battery in and she's ran perfect ever since....idk. 🤔

1 - 10 of 10 Posts