RS Warrior Forum banner

Rubber washers or steel washers for handle bar vibes?

3K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  Heftysmurf 
#1 ·
I first put these 1" risers on and my hands hurt immediately from the intense bar vibes.

Put them on again last night and put a rubber washer in between the riser and steel oem washer. Torqued it down and rode today and most of the crazy extra vibes are gone but not all.

Should I put a thicker rubber washer, add another one, put more steel washers, or put another rubber washer between the riser and bars?

I see they make neoprene washers, would this be better since the rubber one compresses so much? Or nylon washer maybe? Or scrap it and get risers that are 1.25 in diameter just like the bars lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I first put these 1" risers on and my hands hurt immediately from the intense bar vibes.

Put them on again last night and put a rubber washer in between the riser and steel oem washer. Torqued it down and rode today and most of the crazy extra vibes are gone but not all.

Should I put a thicker rubber washer, add another one, put more steel washers, or put another rubber washer between the riser and bars?

I see they make neoprene washers, would this be better since the rubber one compresses so much? Or nylon washer maybe? Or scrap it and get risers that are 1.25 in diameter just like the bars lol.

My opinion seeing as your risers are round is use 2 rubber washers on each then tension down. I have square risers so they don’t snug down into the you. I used 2 rubber washers on each and torqued down. I’ve just got acceptable vibration ( let’s face it, it’s a big twin that vibrates ). I have found that my left rear view is perfect to look through, where the right is a bit harder to see through. I just put that down to BB character lol😎😎🐝

#3 ·
My opinion seeing as your risers are round is use 2 rubber washers on each then tension down. I have square risers so they don’t snug down into the you. I used 2 rubber washers on each and torqued down. I’ve just got acceptable vibration ( let’s face it, it’s a big twin that vibrates ). I have found that my left rear view is perfect to look through, where the right is a bit harder to see through. I just put that down to BB character lol[emoji41][emoji41][emoji219]
Thank you! Yeah I know it going to vibrate but I'm trying to get it to within original vibration levels which is pretty good haha.

Did you stack the two rubber washers together on top of the steel washer but before the riser right?

#6 · (Edited)
Its been a long time, so I might err in a detail. But there's more to this than meets the eye. I'll swing-away and see if others can correct me in any detail I frak-up. It should be good enough to help steer you where you can find it all yourself, so maybe its worth the time.

The Warrior's triple tree top plate is fitted with tight-fitting rubber bushings and metal bushings through which the riser bolts fit nicely. The rubber bushings have a specific tight-fitting outside diameter and their inside diameter plays well with the metal bushings. Also stock, there are precision sized metal washers that go on top under the risers. Those special washers have an outside diameter sized to sit on top of the rubber bushings. That creates correct vibration dampening. If you add generic hardware under the risers you are probably defeating the dampening design. Additionally, if you have metal-to-metal you might defeat the electrical non-conductivity in the factory design. You can learn more by looking at the factory disassembled view drawings, the online parts drawings, and the Yamaha accessory Double-T bar instructions, and (whew) the factory Delivery-Assembly manual (which I revisited and was reminded that for this trouble its of little help, my bad). Some of these are in Documentation and/or rswarriordocs dot com. Some are attached as pdf's in this thread.

It might be that the risers you've selected cannot correctly interface with the anti-vibration bushing's size requirement. There is a lot of elegant design there. It work great.

#7 ·
I agree with AZ ..

Also from the pics it seems that the there metal to metal contact
Which is causing the uncontrollable vibration.....

Try the double washer , and see how it goes..That's the most cost effective method..

And if not .. get the correct riser extensions

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Yeah sounds like I need the correct riser setup. One that doesnt have the outer lip. All though that design doesnt seem as sturdy.

That pic was pre rubber washer but it looks the same with the rubber washer installed. I think the torque flattens it out pretty good.

#9 ·
Gathering stuff as time allows.
I cannot find my top and bottom pics of the crown plate (top plate of tree that risers bolt to). Without that reference the attachments are not fully helpful. You have to see the shapes and angles and fitment.

I did locate my stolen copy of the unpublished bushing and washer individual part numbers, but I don't now recall if its the rubber and top washer. I'll work on confirming AS SHOULD anyone who follows.

I hope its the right ones!!

I'm astounded at the volume of e-information I have. Some of it was never categorized, ah well sometimes life sucks haha.

Attachments

#10 ·
One solution might be to buy two sets of oem stock washers and stack them in order to raise the bottom of those risers above the surface of the top of the crown plate. I'm assuming your current install has one of these washers under each riser at this time. The only way to know is to try, I'm not able to get to my bike to try visualizing the stack, which would act as a standoff and hopefully nothing more! Might need longer but correct OD shoulder bolts too. Dunno.

#11 ·
One solution might be to buy two sets of oem stock washers and stack them in order to raise the bottom of those risers about the surface of the top of the crown plate. I'm assuming your current install has one of these washers under each riser at this time. The only way to know is to try, I'm not able to get to my bike to try visualizing the stack, which would act as a standoff and hopefully nothing more! Might need longer but correct OD shoulder bolts too. Dunno.
Excellent information Arizona thank you very much!

#13 ·
I would also probably use neoprene as it is stiffer and resists the elements better than rubber. Also you do not want metal on metal like the others said. You do not want that riser resting on top of the triple tree as that = vibration.
Pic for reference
The problem is finding the right size haha. It's hard to find a 1.25 diameter with 5/8 inner diameter hole.

#18 ·
All this conversation about risers, washers, bushings, and such makes me want to revisit my setup. The previous owner put on some TT bars and a stack of washers so the bars would clear the tank at full swing but now I'm wondering about their interface with the triple tree. On the ride last weekend, someone noticed the stack of washers so this is fresh in my mind again. Gotta go check if they are just on the bushing or what.

Also, this could be a good opportunity for anyone with a lathe to turn out some shims for proper interface with the factory bushings.

#19 ·
It was me who noticed the washers. Simple enough solution but do you get crazy handle bar vibes?

Some of the warriors I ride with say the bars vibrate a lot and you can hear and see the clutch lever vibrating up and down. Mine does not vibrate that much at all with just the T bars and no risers so if I can get that with my risers I will be golden.

#29 ·
Its important to also retain the stock rubber shaped washer (item 11) that you can see sitting on top the plate under the risers. And (item 12) needs to be the right od to fill it. They need to be in good condition.

And the stock assembly parts under it also need to be assembled right and in good condition.

If worried then buy the rubber 11 and the steel washer 12 from Yamaha off the parts breakdown. Get the part numbers and web search, they can be found as kits or as parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.