RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the day came....finally. I picked my bike up yesterday at 3:30 from the dealer. By 5:30 I was on the road from Tampa to Orlando (2.5 hour trip) to hook up with Shawn, Luc, and Sam at the Orlando drag strip to watch Luc and Sam run. I was so stoked! The bike was running flawless. I had to fill up after 84 miles (Light came on) though. I thought these bikes got better mileage. Anyway, about 30 minutes from Orlando...poof....my speedo needle flicks to zero and stays there but the speedo remand illuminated, my tach goes completely out (no light, no nothin'), and I lost all rear lights (including brake). It was dark, so, thank god the headlight and front running lights stayed working. I got to the track, met Shawn and Ann, then went to watch Luc and Sam run. They did great. When they returned to the staging area, Shawn asked Sam about my light problem and what may have caused it. Turns out it was only a fuse. There was a spare in the fuse box, so easy fix. Sam rocks! Super nice guy! The next day, same fuse popped. Shawn looked under the rear fender, and there was the problem. The dealer installed my 240 kit, lowering kit (F&G), integrated tail light, and fender eliminator kit. Here's what happened. The big tire was rubbing on the wires for the LED lights in the plate frame, rubbed them clean in half by the time I got home. Thus causing a short. Seems no one thought (including me) about the need for a 1000 lb spring. I was bottoming out the whole trip. I got to the dealer today @ 3:30 (24 hours after picking it up...LOL) and they capped the plate light wires and got my lights working so I could ride this weekend. They ordered a 1000 lb spring that will be delivered Tuesday morning. Soooo, Tuesday morning at 10 AM my baby will be back at the dealer.....pouts, only for 2 hours though....lol. The bike runs great, Churh's VBAK and Akitadogs coil plates are great! I got the Krank vent installed as well. I had Shawn take it for a ride and listen to all the sucking and spitting going on....lol...it concerned me! Sorry so long!!!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
congratz on picking up the bike. Depending on how much it is lowered and how much you weigh, the 1000lb spring may not be enough. You might need to raise it up some or even get an adjustable kit if you don't already have one...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Sounds like an adventurous start and a good time Ruckus. My lack of patience would have had me flipping my lid. +1 on the adjustable links though versus the FnG.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm gonna try the spring first, see if that helps. I like it low...lol...getting 6 degree trees soon to even out the front end. We'll see. If riding 2 up scrapes, I'll have to raise it. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'm glad they got right on it to fix the issue. That certainly was a very adventurous start to your Warrior ownership! Keep us up to date on the outcome of the 1000lbs spring fix.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read that the rear suspension can be adjusted to some degree. If they install the 1000 lb spring and adjust it out all the way, is the ride going to be affected a noticeable amount? Will this spring make a big difference in keeping it from bottoming out? Can I ride 2 up without worrying? I'm around 200 lbs (I'll be 250 lbs if I go to Shawn's for "WaffleFest" one more time...lol) and my wife is 120ish lbs(YOU try getting her to tell you her true weight! lol). I really like it low and I'm willing to try anything to keep it there. lol.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Ruckus said:
I'm around 200 lbs (I'll be 250 lbs if I go to Shawn's for "WaffleFest" one more time...lol) .

C'mon over! We'll help you get to your fighting weight before you know it! We're just trying to help you test your suspension's limits! Next time we'll have to make muffins too LOL

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
The last time my wife road with me we bottomed once but thats on an '02 with 800lbs spring no dampers. So I cranked it out a little and it wasnt an issue after that. So the 1k springs hould be fine plus you can crank it out a hair if needed. I was 270 and she was (insert guess here). lol

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Ruckus said:
I'm gonna try the spring first, see if that helps. I like it low...lol...getting 6 degree trees soon to even out the front end. We'll see. If riding 2 up scrapes, I'll have to raise it. Thanks guys.
I'm happyto see that you have things under control & the 1000# spring is a valuable addition to the lowered bike. The '03' & up bikes have a dampening controlon the shock and can be used to assist tuning of the rear suspension.

I'm surprised to hear that a Dealer would modify the relay arm for the F&G unless it was an independent shop. Anyway, the combination of the F&G and the front pulley (31T-33T)will establish the final position of the rear wheel approx +/- 1/4" and interferences under the fender such as the following when bottoming out or normal riding:

[*]
Yamaha IFEK - theears for mounting the turn signalswill hit the tire

[*]
Most likely to occur with 31T-32T frt pulley[/list]
[*]
The tire will collide with the Inner Factory Fender protruding ears taking chunks out of the tire

[*]
Most likely to occur with 32T-33T[/list][/list]

Here's a very recent post of tire damage and lots of speculation: http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/121742/975702.aspx#975702

You can take immediate action if you haven't already by adjusting the stock spring for a firmer ride. As stated by mdfdwarrior you might need to increase the height by other means.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AlanH said:
Yamaha IFEK - theears for mounting the turn signalswill hit the tire
They are, but, the dealer is cutting them off tomorrow while he has it off to fix the wiring problem.
AlanH said:
Most likely to occur with 32T-33T
I have the stock pulley. Do I need to change to a 31T?
AlanH said:
I'm surprised to hear that a Dealer would modify the relay arm for the F&G unless it was an independent shop.
It's a dealer "Ride Now Powersports" here in Port Richey FL. How (and what is) do you know they modified the relay arm? The 240 kit came with the swing arm and rim, that's all I know about that process...lol. Thanks Alan.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Ruckus said:
How (and what is) do you know they modified the relay arm?

That's what the "F&G" is. You take the stock relay arm and grind out a portion of it and flip it, hence "flip and grind". That's why it now sits lower then it's original orientation and shape. I'm sure there are some pictures and better explanations on many many threads somewhere here but that's it in a nutshell. It's surprising though because you're actually weakening that part by taking material away from it and, as you've seen, it can cause damage if everything isn't taken into consideration. My dealer doesn't even like to see someone change their grips much less modify the suspension like that. Look into Ram396's lowering links though if you want max flexibility concerning your lowering options.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Marco, I am familiar with the term "F & G", didn't know that was the same as the relay arm. But yes, the dealer performed that mod. The new spring did the trick. Took my wife out last night 2 up. The Tech trimmed, smoothed and painted the tabs off of the fender elimination kit so that's not gonne be a tire rubbing issue again. Rode great, handled the same, not too stiff. I stopped and checked under the rear fender a few times. No rubbing!! Woot woot! BUT, the right turn signal is still not working. The dealer is ordering me another clear alternative tail light. May be a good thing though. Because I wanted the smoked lens and not the clear anyway....lol. Other than all that, this bike is everything you guys say it is! I love it! Hey Shawn, now Bonnie can come down there with me next time!!! Thanks for all your help guys.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gonna clean the bike and take pics today. Hope I can figure out how to load them in my gallery....lol.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sfd353 said:
Post pics my man. Want to see that 240 kit.
LOL, gonna clean it and take some pics. The tire rubbing issue got "rubber dust" all over the azz end of it. I took it to a self service car wash last night but to no avail getting the dust off with the sprayer, even after soaking. Gonna throw it on the lift and clean it by hand. Gotta wax the whole bike too before I get it dirty again. Just been having so much fun riding it. I get compliments from everyone, even my H-D owning friends! Everyone loves the "Low and Fat" look. I'll have pics up tonight.

·
Registered
881 Posts
HUBBA HUBBA HUBBA!!!

That's one SEXY bike, George! She let me take dirty picstures of her big tire kit! YEAH BABY, YEAH!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts