RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just getting used to the Warrior and it surprises me how rich it seems to be running. I'm just coming up on the first service in another hundred miles or so. When I start it up in the underground parking, the exhaust smell is overwhelmingly rich. Is this normal before the first service?

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
No, it is not normal. Are you sure it is the fuel? Might be that new smell with all the seal & gaskets. New pipes will produce a smell for awhile till broken in. Give it a few. I would also check the two fuel quick disconnects. There is one under the seat and one under the L side Scoop. Make sure those are well seated. They tend to leak right there if not seated. If you continue to smell fuel stop riding the bike take it back to dealer.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
if it wasnt rich for start up it wouldnt start at all. unless somethings wrong with your bike it should come off a high idle & automaticly lean out. all of these bikes are set lean from the factory.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
Pull the spark plugs. The two on the left side of the engine will suffice. Rich = black & sooty, lean is white, any tan is good.

BTW, blow out the plug recesses with compressed air before removing the plugs. Birds, rocks, small children like to hide in there & you don't need that stuff banging around in you cylinders.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I must admit that when I pulled my engine apart after 100 miles, those stock pistons and heads were already pretty black and had carbon deposits everywhere.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I found my bike burning rich at startup. I recently pulled the plugs and found them black. I just put a PCIII in with a new pipe and plugs and am waiting for a decent day to take it out to see if there is any change. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
These bikes have a ambient temperature sensor so on cold days they will run richer than normal. I noticed mine will run fat (rich) for quite awhile in frigid temps as low as 50 degrees in Florida.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Marting, mine ran pretty rich when it was still breaking in. I was only getting about 75-80 miles per tank (the reserve light kicked on) for the first few hundred miles. It leaned out after that. I wouldn't suspect too much, but better to have it checked out when you have it serviced than to be sorry. I'm proud to say that after clocking up 19,750 miles I haven't had any problems with the Warrior. Well, except for the recall thing...[/emoticons/emotion-4.gif] I just changed my brake pads and I wish that cars were that easy to do too....LOL

Johnny

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
myredwarrior,
You are way RICH! I got those flames the other day when I started my Warrior for the first time in 3 months, right out the back of my propipe, but that was due to the bike not starting right away, it took like 6 times with the starter switch, then boom, big flame!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I also smell the bike running rich but as was stated earlier I think that is related to the ambient temperature sensor detecting operation at lower temps. She must be leaning out, I have been getting 120 - 127 miles per tankful routinely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts