RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

every once in a while a remove stuff from my bike and clean them up. Regularly when cleaning my bike I notice moisture on the filler neck of the fuel tank. It became aparent that it wasn't sealing and/or draining the wash water correctly. I even started noticing whiting rust spots on the plate just inside the tank. So yesterdat I removed everything and gave it all a good clean and WD-40 wash I see a good amount of corrosion below the filler bezel. I applied a liberal amount of WD-40 and put everything back. Have any of you had problems like this when washing your bikes?

Also it seems I can't see any type of fuel filter on the Warrior. This makes me affraid that rust particles get into the fuel pump and injectors. Is this a valid fear factor?

Thanks, Xander

·
Registered
492 Posts
According to the manual the fuel filter is inside the fuel pump. Fear factor failure.

"Fuel pump
The fuel pump, which is mounted in the fuel tank, draws the fuel directly from the tank and pumps it
to the injector.
A filter that is provided in the fuel pump prevents any debris in the fuel tank from entering the fuel
system downstream of the pump.

The pump consists of a pump unit, electric motor, filter, and valves.

"

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's one time I don't mind losing at fear factor !
Which automatically brings the next question, it there a possibility to change that filter? Reading from the description you gave, the filter would probably reside inside the feeder tank under the seat.

Xander

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
MD-82 said:
Hey all,

..... Regularly when cleaning my bike I notice moisture on the filler neck of the fuel tank. It became aparent that it wasn't sealing and/or draining the wash water correctly. I even started noticing whiting rust spots on the plate just inside the tank. So yesterdat I removed everything and gave it all a good clean and WD-40 wash I see a good amount of corrosion below the filler bezel. I applied a liberal amount of WD-40 and put everything back. Have any of you had problems like this when washing your bikes?

Also it seems I can't see any type of fuel filter on the Warrior. This makes me affraid that rust particles get into the fuel pump and injectors. Is this a valid fear factor?

Thanks, Xander
Here's what mine looked like 11-26-05 when i sent it out fornew paintwhile living in Michigan after 2-riding seasons. Additional photos HERE:

The Warrior uses 2-fuel strainers. One is located on the FrtLHinside of the tank (2-hex bolts) as shown in the RH photo and connects to the dry break. The other strainer is located at the base of the fuel pump in the aux gas tank under the seat. FYI, the fuel isrepeatedly strained as a result of the F.I.design.

I would expect that living in a tropical climate as you do that corrosion is more of an issue. I rarely wash my bike with water unless absolutely necessary. I use a Spray Cleaner & Polish most commonly. If this corrosion is a reoccurring problem i would apply some clear coat to the affected areas after clean-up. Use some compressed air sparingly to verify the vent & overflow is working on the tank. If the M5 fuel cap screws aren't stainless (SS)R&R them with SS. Parts of the gas cap are zinc alloy and will corrode with a powder residuein the salt air environment
so protect the cap with polish and use so marine lithium grease on your fasteners. GOOD LUCK

CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Alan,

mine looks worse than that. I have that same spot you have, with an additional spot where the drain hole is. But just a tad. I always clean my bike with water. A LOT of it, then chamois most of the water off, blow dry it, then another round of chamois. On this island you constantly have to keep doing this other wise you'll get salt in all crevices. If you wash of course, it can go to areas you don't expect.....kind ofa catch 22 I guess. Anyways, see ing that that area is very difficult to sand down, do rust eaters really exist out there or is it a myth? You now, those spray cans that say they get rid of rust. If it works, I'll try that with a good amount of crease. Not only will that protect, but it adds that little extra sealing protection.

Xander

·
Registered
492 Posts
rust eaters does exist, kind of expensive, you use that by drops... just go to a marine store. you can remove the rust, then paint or put clear coat on top to protect it. they are basically acid, so, be careful using that.

i have also a yamaha waverunner which always run on salt water... corrosion is hard to avoid, but after cleaning with clean water, spraying liberally a coat of wd-40 or another protectant (seadoo make a good one)make a good work keeping most of corrosion out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts