RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I said good or bad I would share what happen on my recall so here you go.

14 Jan – Ordered the pistons, cams, valve and clutch spring from Yami
21 Jan – S* parts are delivered to the dealer.

13 Feb – Tech calls and says my recall kit is in. I ask twice to verify it's for the Warrior and not a Road Star 1600 because it is in three weeks early according to what I have heard on this site. He said it is, I don't know if he checked or if he took someone else's word.

17 Feb – I take my bike to dealer and tell him I will be out of state until 1 March so there should be plenty of time for the work.

26 Feb – Start recall/upgrade work on my bike.

28 Feb – I call to check on the status of my bike and he tells me there is a problem: The disassembly went great, the condition of all the valves showed good seals and did not require lapping. No surprises anywhere, condition of all moving parts look great. All S* and recall parts were added without event but when he tried to add the heads the gaskets did not line up. He checked the part number and discovered he was using a RS 1600 recall kit. He calls Yami to have a Warrior kit expedited from Atlanta and is told the kit will go out Monday, 1 March. He tells me the bike will stay on the lift in the shop until all work is complete, it will never be moved. The engine will remain 90% complete until he gets the real recall kit to prevent losing parts or allowing contaminants to enter.

2 March – I make the hour drive to see what is happening; I am not feeling too happy and I need some assurance. Bike and engine are as he said, frame is not scratched general area is clean and that is when it really hits me how big of a deal this recall is. It hurt to see the hoses, electrical connections and other parts not connected. It is not like the TV episodes of American Chopper where there is a lot of room and large clearances and only a couple of wires. Here are some nice pics from longdriveshttp://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13739. I make it clear there are two things I am looking for: #1 Everything must work when it is back together, no new noises, no quirks, no surprises.
#2 Absolutely no leaks anywhere. It really has not been an impact to me because I was out of town last week and I am going to Florida for some spring brake action anyway until the 10th starting tomorrow, but I don't tell him that.

I believe he is trying to look out for my interest; yes he did a bonehead mistake but I am not going to beat him up about it besides my bike is still in pieces. I am not going to let this keep me up at night.

5 March – Warrior kit arrives

9 March – Final connections made, he will test ride tomorrow

10 March – I call to see if he is happy, he says everything works and I can pick up the bike.

11 March – I walk up and see my bike is parked in the shade under a carport. It was like the first day I saw her, she was ALL cleaned up. When I brought her in I just finished a ride and there were bugs everywhere, on the headlight, forks, tank. He said bring it in so I did.

I found no scratches, engine and bike was clean and there were no leaks. I went on a 25 mile test ride. The bike definitely revs faster, it doesn't take long to approach high RPM's. Sound seems louder, more forceful and at idle the engine “lumps”, that was not there before must be the cams I really like that new sound coming out of the Muzzy. You guys getting OE cams should be happier since they are hotter. Compression braking of the engine is better than stock but not like sportbike performance, still have to grab on some brakes to slow down, kinda disappointed there. Snapping the throttle from idle causes a nasty bog down until the engine clears its throat, custom map will clear that up. Quick application of throttle causes the tire to break grip a lot easier than before, gotta get use to that. Clutch engages as soon as I let off half an inch, much faster than stock. I am going to bump the map a couple percents richer, stay away from the redline for 200 miles and baby her a little.

The final cost to me was $1003 for cams, valve spring, pistons, clutch spring, and new plugs installed (there was no charge for the labor). I have a 2003 Warrior with 3831 miles and she has been torn down twice in the seven months I have had her. I got the v-bak, Muzzy, PCIII, and other bits and pieces, if she stays together without problem I have invested a total of about $15,000 in the last seven months. If I have no problems I am happy with my investment to myself. I am not made of money but I have a passion for my Warrior.

My two criteria mentioned before was met and the weather was 72 degrees yesterday. I tried to give my tech some cash as a tip and he refused, he said we can ride together some day and eat lunch but he was not going to take my money. I still offered the tip because he could of just got the job done and I believe he cared. Now if I have problems with my bike all bets are off but for today I am happy.

What do my brothers and sisters think?

·
Registered
639 Posts
quote:Originally posted by megawatt

. . . Bike and engine are as he said, frame is not scratched general area is clean and that is when it really hits me how big of a deal this recall is. It hurt to see the hoses, electrical connections and other parts not connected. It is not like the TV episodes of American Chopper where there is a lot of room and large clearances and only a couple of wires.

. . . and therein lies my concern. Oh, and the "no labor warranty" to boot.

Very happy for you, megawatt. I hope that engine goes 100K before you need to open it again! [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is where I will get the custom map and dyno numbershttp://www.stevejohnsonracing.com/home.htm. Steve's operation is serious about horsepower and mapping they just beat everyone last week at the AMA/Prostar MRE Nationals in Gainesville Florida. I will have to insist they replace the VTX photo on the dyno 250 on their website with my warrior.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts