RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching and waiting for a while, but plan on getting a Warrior sooner or later. How does the warranty work regarding the tranny? If I buy a used one that hasn't been repaired, will it still be covered by Yamaha? How about new bikes....what's the deal with new Warriors amd the recall?

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
recall doesn't effect the '04's. And yes if you get a used one that hasn't been fixed yet, any dealer still has to fix it. VIN is in the database. So if you come across a good used one that hasn't been fixed, you may be able to use that and get a really good price for it.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The recall covers all the 02 and 03 models and if buy a used one that has not been fixed, then you need to contact the dealer and take care of it. It should be covered. As for whether or not it is safe: of course it is. The hype over the recall is going to die down as soon as Yamaha starts fixing them. Most of the fuss is over the fact that Yamaha has not released the kits yet- once they start to come in and the recall is done, I really don't think you'll be hearing as much about it. Go ahead and buy one- ****, find some guy who is po'ed at Yamaha and is willing to unload his bike at a loss- why not?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It WILL be covered under a Recall. If you like the warrior then get one, or not. Only you can decide how much a rebuilt motor bothers you. Or get a new 04 one and be done with it. I would use this fact when bargaining for a used OR new Warrior unless its an 04. **** even then I would mention your lack of faith in Yamaha when bargaining for an 04.

<soap box>

This whole recall is about the Roadstars, and a very few of them at that, having a tranny failure. So far there are only a couple of anecdotal reports of the Warrior transmission failing, and the NHTSA does not list ANY failures of the Warrior yet. Apparently Yamaha does not know what bikes the junk parts went into, so we all pay with a torn down motor. Many are still riding, and riding long distances. Others choose to park the bike and wait. Myself I worry more about hitting a deer or idiots in cars than I do about a tranny failure on this bike. I'm still riding but I do shift up into 5th more often than I used to...

</soap box>

·
Registered
63 Posts
Buy one without hesitation. As you will see throughout the forums here on rswarrior.com, there are thousands of guys riding these bikes with zero problems. You can go to the NHTSA website to see the actual information regarding failures. All six recorded incidents are with RoadStars. Zero for Warriors. (Out of 29,700 units subject to the recall).

The main advantage to buying an '02 or '03 model is that Yamaha will be crediting your dealer with 9.5 hours of labor for installing the recall kit. Since the motor has to be torn down for the recall, reassembly with high performance parts (eg. SpeedStar Stage IV kit with cams, HC pistons, etc.) is essentially free of charge. If your'e one of those guys that keeps a bike 100% stock, the 2004 may be easier on your mind. If you trust your mechanic, the best value is going to be an '02 or '03 model. I love my '03 and the bargain price on the bike coupled with the lower than normal cost of my engine performance upgrades makes me feel like I got a NEW top performance bike for the lowest possible price.

My advice: 'Negotiate a great deal on an '03 at a dealership, taking advantage of the bad press about the recall to drive down your perceived value of the bike and get a lower price. Get a tranny kit installed and have them start your warranty clock AFTER the recall work is completed. You'll have 12 months to resolve anything that could have gone afoul during the tranny work and you'll have one of the best bikes made for a screaming deal.'

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Coyote Warrior. Read the bulletin:
http://www.rswarrior.com/files/recall/circlip.pdf

It clearly states that it is a viloation of Yamaha Motor Corp policy for a dealer to sell you an affected bike B4 the tranny is repaired.

·
Registered
639 Posts
One of the things I have stated quite a few times in the Recall debate is that, in my opinion, the resale price of the 2002 and 2003 Warriors will suffer because of the HANDLING of this recall, i.e., no labor warranty, delay in parts, variables from one tech to another in the rebuilding process, etc. More than a few members disagreed with me. I wonder, based upon the comments above, where they stand now.

BHW, I really like my bike (2002) and I think it is one of the best motorcycles made, period. Having said that, I also am very disappointed and angry at Yamaha for the way they are handling this recall. I recommend you read all the threads you can on the recall as well as any other Warrior related threads of interest and then make an informed decision.

I wish you the best in your decision, but it is YOUR decision to make.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Unfortuanately, I cannot recommend Yamaha products anymore. The Warrior is the best bike out there, and I love mine, but no one should treat their customers the way Yamaha has treated RSW owners with this recall. I will not buy a Yamaha product again. You buy a bike to ride it, not to have it held captive in your dealer's storeroom for 3 months while you still make payments...

BHW, Spear Warrior has it right. Make sure you are informed and then make the decision.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm concerned about JP's remarks...

Anyway, you won't regret buying a warrior(as long as the recall has ben done). It beats the **** out of the VTX and Meanstreak.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts