·
Registered
10,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: Sampson pipes - good, bad, ugly?

I've had good luck with mine. No chrome problems or blueing. You might want to get the baffels unless you like excessive noise,they are LOUD!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

I have the Samson (
) Rip Saw exhaust and I thinkthey look outstanding. A lot of people really like the sound but I'm not near as happy with that as I am with the looks. One thing you should know isseveralmembers have had problems with the construction quality and things like bracket welds breaking and so forth have caused people to complain of rattling and needing to replace heatshields and so forth. I still bought mine even after reading about those problems because obviously not everyone has had those experiences and for how much better they look and how much they added to my bike for such relatively little cost (compared to Morton's Executioner's for example) I thought it was well worth the risk. I did give them a good look when putting them on and I can't say I was really impressed with the construction durability compared to the stock exhaust and what I've seen of others but I didn't see any evidence of sloppiness or "cheapness" either and they fit fine with no problems at all. I've had no hassles with them either and the finish is excellent and they've been a good source of compliments. Good luck and I hope whatever you get works out great for you.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Marco Polo said:
I have the Samson (
) Rip Saw exhaust...
Ah...
I see my mistake. Thanks for the feedback, Marco olo.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

lol You didn't have to throw the thing away! Now you have to go buy a new keyboard.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts

Sorry to say i'm one of the unlucky one's that has had problems. Like Marco Polo pointed out. My bottom and longest pipe the heat shield all 3 tabs busted at the welds. I only had them less than 6 months and they did nothing about replacing them. I was even willing to buy a new heat shield but they said they didn't even have any for me to buy. Very poor customer service. From what i've been thru i'll never get anything from Samson again. But that's just me, do what you want.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ihave the ground pounders, I did get on a web sight that sold Samsons, they said that baffles did not fit inside, i had to modify, so they would fit, and witha lowering kit you cannot lean the bike in a right turn, like from stock, but with ear plugs they sound great. something to think about.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Travis, I vote Jug Huggers for the beast. Excellent customer service and they sell all the parts when needed.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
You need to change suppliers. Samson does make baffles that fit but it's almost as if by accident it seems because of all the poor labeling and advertising I saw. I know at least two of us had to return our baffles before getting the correct ones because the description was wrong.

I have my bike lowered a little bit and I can lean to the edge of a Metz 210 although I have scraped the tips of my Rip Saws at that point. As I undersand it some of the short models came with a mounting bracket that seems to have been larger then mine and possibly an older version because it wasn't black like mine came out of the box. I have groundmine a little bit as well but it's so tucked under it's easier to do and isn't seen.

To give you an idea of the sound I was using a modified stock exhaust before (gutted) and it gave me headaches whereas the Rip Saw doesn't even though it actually sounds louder. Most exhaust I've heard have a deeper rumble to them where as the short Samson exhaust are a bit more "blatty" (even with 10" baffles with massive amounts of holes cut). Kinda makes sense considering how much shorter they are then say Big Shots.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I have the Ground Pounders as well and have installed what used to be 10" baffles that I cut down to 4". It's quite a bit louder than the original 10" baffles, which I like, but I was losing torque and power on the bottom end with straight pipes. I cut the baffles down to 4" inches and reinstalled them. Now I have good back pressure and a nice "loud" tone. Good luck.

·
Vendor
943 Posts
I like the look and sound of my sampsons and never had any problems. I am running a v&h propipe now. It does not look as good as the sampsons but I do think the propipe makes the warrior sound like it has more balls than the sampsons. Going to wrap the sampsons in black heat wrap and throw them back on one of these days.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I will never buy a samson product again. My weld snapped, the chrome on the heatshield peeled off, the tips of the pipes and the backing plate scrape through right side turns, you lose power and torque, and the customer service is practically non-existant.

I have Street Sweepers. They do sound awesome, and when the heatshields were in good shape, they looked cool. I ended up wrapping them in black exhaust wrap ($50), modifying the tips, and shaving down and powdercoating ($25) the backing plate. I also had the welds redone by a guy who knows how to weld ($50). My pipes had 3,000 miles on them when they fell apart. Samson would do nothing but offer to sell me new pipes ($450). Imagine if everything needed to be replaced at 3,000 miles....

I'd go with the Bub Jug Huggers, if that's the look you're going for.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've had my Samson SS on for 12,500 miles.None of the aboveproblems.They are obnoxiously loud open but run the best full throttle that way.I hated the off idle hesitation (having to rev the throttle from a stop) to avoid stalling.Get the Thunder Monster baffles to avoid that or the J&P Cycles 4" mini baffles & cut off the baffles.Either way makes the bike street-able as I call it.It gives it enough back pressure for a enjoyable daily rider that still sounds good & increases low end torque.

http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/48402/671314.aspx#671314

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a set of the shorties in your picture on my '04 Warrior. I had to re-tighten the heat shields one time in 2 1/2 years.Had a set of Hard Krome American Classics before the shorties and the head pipe cracked after 4 months. HardKrome or Parts Unlimited would not warranty them. Never again will I buy a Hard Krome product. Had a set of Bub Chaimbermaids on a Mean Streak I owned before the Warrior.The welds on the heat shields cracked after about a year.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had to replace one full pipe because the weld broke on the mounting tab, leaving a big honkin hole in my exhaust, I replaced my top pipe heat shield, and my lower is pretty much just held in by the foot peg mount. When it comes to looks, good from far but far from good. You can really see the seams in the shields, and the cheapness of them. They sound awesome. Except for the rattle which will make you want to drive into a toll booth. Not a deep sound but an aggressive cocky raspy sound with one **** of a jake brake down note on decel. They are loud. Real effin loud. Ears bleeding loud. My buddy and I switch bikes sometimes and when he goes by me on my bike I dont know why anyone would voluntarily ride with me. Thats without baffles. I had baffles, same thing as the other guys said, it was like they made them as an afterthought. One night I took them out just to make some noise because I was in a hot rod mood. My buddy said "you know you'll never put them back in". I said "no, I'll put them back tomorrow". That was 3 years ago. Oh, yeah and they are the worst thing for performance. If you like that look, get jug huggers. Same look as street sweepers, but better construction and performance. Someone else already said that, but I am happy to reinforce it. They sound awesome too. Me, I'm hoping and praying for the V/H big radius 2 into 1. Yeahhhhhhhh

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Samsons, Samsons....I love 'em and hate 'em. Without baffles, they're crazy loudand really lower performance. The crazy loudness isn't really a bad thing, just take stock of what level/kind of attention you want to draw. A must is the Thunder Mountain Monster Baffles, IMO. They restore all of that lost torque and calm down the jake brake decel to almost nill. Buy even with the baffles, you will not gain performance over stock. If performance is what you're looking for, I'm sure you know that other pipes fit that bill a lot better. These are lookers and shakers. As far as quality goes, like some have mentioned, you can get lucky and have no issues. I have had the rear cylinders pipe bracket break at the weld. This is very common as well as the welds that attach the heat shield. My chrome is very nice, not as deep and lustrous as say Rineharts, but very nice. Keep a good chrome polish around for when you wash her, (I use Simichrome), and some elbow grease and you'll keep them looking like new if not better.

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
They drag like a *** and suck all your power. Other than that, they look nice and sound cool.

I just broke mine in half, right at the bend where it goes into the front header. No weld or anything, they just broke. In the last two years I have scraped off nearly an inch from the bottom of the rear bracket and most of the bottom heat sheild. I guess all that stress from throughing sparks finally caught up to me and my pipes threw the towel in. It's back to the propipe for me.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Sharp said:
Samsons, Samsons....I love 'em and hate 'em. Without baffles, they're crazy loudand really lower performance. The crazy loudness isn't really a bad thing, just take stock of what level/kind of attention you want to draw. A must is the Thunder Mountain Monster Baffles, IMO. They restore all of that lost torque and calm down the jake brake decel to almost nill. Buy even with the baffles, you will not gain performance over stock. If performance is what you're looking for, I'm sure you know that other pipes fit that bill a lot better. These are lookers and shakers. As far as quality goes, like some have mentioned, you can get lucky and have no issues. I have had the rear cylinders pipe bracket break at the weld. This is very common as well as the welds that attach the heat shield. My chrome is very nice, not as deep and lustrous as say Rineharts, but very nice. Keep a good chrome polish around for when you wash her, (I use Simichrome), and some elbow grease and you'll keep them looking like new if not better.
Sharp,

Thunder Mountain Monster Baffles? I believe you mean Thunder Monster Baffles and yes they are the best baffles out there for the Samsons.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I had pretty much decided I was going with the Samsons until I read all of these posts. Sounds like they're not worth the gamble to me. I'm gonna go with a set of Bub Jug Huggers instead. I don't recall ever hearing anyone complain about the quality of them and I've heard what they sound like (very nice). I just wish the tips of them were straight cut and flush but I think they're going to be my best choice for now. Unless I win the lottery and maybe then I'll look harder at a set of Rineharts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts