RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the pipes late last month. Finally got around to installing them last night. The pipes look great on my 08 midnight. It's winter so I'm unable to ride right now, but I did start the bike up for about 30 seconds. It's thunder loud. I might have to get some baffles. My main complaint is a big one. The rear pipe is sopposed to have two heat sheilds. I was only supplied with one. I was also supplied with two incorrect clamps. The clamps are trivial. But the missing heat shield really irritates me. I'm going to try to contact samson on monday. I'll post later and tell everybody what the customer service experience is like. Normally when your putting together stuff like this it's pretty common to be shorted a screw or a bolt, but to be shorted something as cosmetically important as a heat shield is unacceptable. Don't get me wrong. I'm not dissapointed with the pipes themselves. I just think samson needs to get their stuff together. This kind of stuff shouldn't happen. If anybody else has had a similar experience with samson I'd like to know about it, and how it turned out.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I have the Street Sweepers and i am very disappointed with their quality. The heat shield tabs that hold the clamps to the pipes broke off. They were only a few months old. I sent in the warranty card the week i received the pipes. I called them, they seemed cool about it. I was told to write a letter explaining what happened. I did. I even sent them a copy of the warranty card that i made and sent that in. To no avail. I got absolutely no reply from them. No replacement part, nothing. I even called them when the warranty was over willing to buy another heat shield. They don't sell them they told me. There customer service is the worst i've ever seen. I finally had to use hose clamps to hold the heat shield on to keep it from rattling. For me i'll never buy anything again from them as long as i live. Don't get me wrong, i love the look and the sound, but i would rather spend more money on a set of Bub Jug huggers etc. I had to put baffles in the pipes. It's way too loud without baffles.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I would take them off the bike and send them back now, before it's too late. Here's a post that I contributed in Oct.

"I will never buy a samson product again. My weld atthe mounting pointsnapped, the chrome on the heatshield peeled off, the tips of the pipes and the backing plate scrape through right side turns, you lose power and torque, and the customer service is practically non-exsistant.

I have Street Sweepers. They do sound awesome, and when the heatshields were in good shape, they looked cool. I ended up wrapping them in black exhaust wrap ($50), modifying the tips, and shaving down and powdercoating ($25) the backing plate. I also had the welds redone by a guy who knows how to weld ($50). My pipes had 3,000 miles on them when they fell apart. Samson would do nothing but offer to sell me new pipes ($450). Imagine if everything needed to be replaced at 3,000 miles....

I'd go with the Bub Jug Huggers, if that's the look you're going for."

·
Registered
71 Posts
my chrome is good on my sweepers, but the same weld and bracket actually peeled open the pipe had my buddy weld it up like a mofo. NOTHING lined up right everything had to be tweaked a lil or alot to fit. awesome sound
horrible quality...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Samson Street Sweepers (update)

So I called Samson this morning, and to my surprise they answered on the first ring. I don't know why, but I assumed it was going to be a pain in the ass to get a hold of them. Apparently both the sales and the tech line numbers go to the tech guy. I explained my problem with the missing heat shield and the incorrect clamps and he told me somebody would call me back shortly.

I was thinking "yeah right" I didn't expect anybody to call me any time soon. But 10 minutes later a guy named K.C. called. He seemed more than willing to help me out with the situation. He said in order to do anything he'd need a copy of the sales reciept where I bought the pipes to make sure I bought them from a legitimate dealer. So I had to call motorcycle pro shop and ask them to fax a copy over to samson. About half an hour later K.C. from samson called me back and said that he'll have my missing heat sheild and barrel clamps shipped on wednesday.

So far I'm impressed with the customer service.Before I called I thought for sure that they would want me to ship the entire exhaust back. We'll see if the correct parts show up. But so far I have yet to experience this horrible customer service I've heard so much about. So far so good.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

You're box hadn't been opened and resealed or anything?? It was from the factory with the heatshield missing? That's amazingly poor quality control considering how those are packed and how seemingly obvious that should have been. Oh well, it sounds like they're going to take care of you. I hope it gets done quickly and satisfactorily to you.

I've had mine less then a year but I like them pretty well so far. I bought them even after hearing of all the quality issues though so I'm not expecting much from them but I hope they'll stay looking as good as they do and in good condition until I find something I like more or until I sell my bike at least.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Nope, the box hadn't been opened or resealed. It was the original samson box. The heat sheild that was missing is the small one on the top of the rear header pipe. I agree thats very poor quality control. I was really dissapointed and angry. But after talking to them about it and discovering how willing they were to help me out, I'm not really angry anymore. I just want it fixed.

I have also read all the bad reviews on these pipes ie: chrome peeling, welds breaking, etc.... But I love the look of the pipes so I decided to take a chance. Yeah, there are some people that had their pipes break, but there are others that have owned them for years and haven't had a problem. I have a feeling that the issues with chrome peeling and dis coulering are due to incorrect air/fuel ratios. Thats probably due to using the inferior ECU bump or doing nothing at all. I'm planning on running a Power Commander with the street sweeper map off the dynojet web site. As for welds breaking...if it happens it happens. I can weld, so its an easy fix. But I also know that a common reason welds break on exhaust system is from improper installation. If the bolts are not torqued to spec in the proper sequence, it can put stress on parts of the pipe. I looked at the welds on both pipes before I installed them. They look like good welds.

I've heard that the welds on the inside of the heat shields can come apart on these pipes. My theory is that people crank them down too tight. The heat shields don't need to be He Man tight. Just tight enough to hold them in place. Point being. I think the reason people have had welds break on these pipes is largly due to installation error.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts

I had the long slashers & had no problems with welds, bolts, or anything. I figured as many times asI had dragged those pipes something would have broke. They are on my bud's warrior now, still sound bad to the bone. I can see how your experience differs from mine. I too would be pissed.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Samson Street Sweepers (update 12/22/08)

Well I recieved a package today from samson containing my missing heat shield and the correct clamps for installing the tips. I recieved it exactly one week from when I made the phone call. I thought for sure something would be screwed up, but everything is perfect now. Yeah, samson made a mistake while packing the box, but they made it right without a bunch of hassle. I'm happy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts