RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that riding before all the sand from snow plow trucks is gone is a death wish. I know most members don't have to deal with this, but how dangerous is it? It got up to 50*F here yesterday still about four inches of snow on the ground up at my house, but in town its pretty much bare. I will have my warrior in a couple of weeks and want to ride it as soon as I get it.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
I put sand in the same catagory as ice when its about 2 wheels. There is a lot of it here on south FL roads. Some from blowing but mostly spillage from 10 wheel dump trucks hauling land fill. 2 lane intersections are particular bad. I have found it best to follow the inside tire tracks on turns & never rock & roll through a corner unless you just made a pass to check it out.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I ride it like a 700lb dirt bike (cautious)ride safe,stay alert,stay alive

Insert Image:

35.25 KB
Thats snow and ice and Im sitting ice.[}/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Sand,gravel,salt,dust and especially roadkill will get you hurt fast.Just keep your eyes on the road out in front of you at least 50' or more depending on your speed and never look down at your front tire going thru curves,look forward thru the curve.It only takes a split second with your eyes off of the road in front of you to get into trouble.Ride careful and within your limits and you should be fine.I hope the next couple of weeks pass quick for ya!
Dan

·
Registered
826 Posts
Good thing they don't use sand here.... just salt! [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]....
But I've riden through some intersections with sand scattered allover the place.... it get's kinda scary if you notice at the last moment, but I always try to be careful! Although I've laid my old bike once, when going around the corner of my work building.... and it's a car dealer, there must have been some oil or coolant on the ground.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
quote:Originally posted by vladens

Good thing they don't use sand here.... just salt! [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]....
But I've riden through some intersections with sand scattered allover the place.... it get's kinda scary if you notice at the last moment, but I always try to be careful! Although I've laid my old bike once, when going around the corner of my work building.... and it's a car dealer, there must have been some oil or coolant on the ground.
Oh,I forgot oil and antifreeze.Have you ever pulled up to a redlight,come to a stop and then put your foot down in antifreeze?YEE-HAW!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I will wait until the first big rain afterwards to wash off the roads to get rid of salt and sand. Then I will ride the **** out of it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I live in Vermont, sand and salt...I usually wait for two really good rains to wash the roads off. You never know what is around the corner especially a blind right hander....sooo better safe then sorry. We take enough chances with the known, no need for me to push it with a known hazard like salt and sand....my two cents!

·
Registered
229 Posts
there is no being careful in sand. i had a lady turn left from the right hand lane in front of me and i went down in the sand. if there is salt in the sand mix, then you will get salt in your eyes (trust me, i know) and thats a bitch. my advice is wait a while.

damon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts