RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to dealer on Sat.Good friend is service mgr.Went into back of shop and saw 4 RS being worked on for tranny recall.1st Warrior was there also.Was shown only prob. they had found after a dozen or so teardowns.1 RS 4th gear had several teeth missing.Service tech mentioned that RS owner had not maintained & had only changed oil "a few times "in 30k miles.Bike looked in lousy condition.Tech seemed to think gear prob.was caused by lousy maintenance.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
So, someone tried their best to brake the transmission and only managed to break a few teeth in 30k miles: sounds like a pretty sturdy gearbox to me!

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
I've personally seen three RS gear sets removed and neither the machanic or I could visually distinguish any unusual wear. The recall work is being done by one mechanic, and he's yet to see any unusual wear patterns in over a dozen and a half bikes. Proper maintainence is paramount to keeping your bike running well. That guy made out in more ways than one.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Several teeth missing?
Thats quite unusual or impossible to do with out the gears having injested some foriegn material of significant size. Maybe a circlip?

>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'd like to hear from someone who races and tears down these transmissions if it's even possible to abuse these gears hard enough to cause this kind of damage. Can we get ahold of Rob Hughs?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sum Ting Wong here... Sounds more like a story from the "National Enquirer", which by the way broke the big story of the week when alien "space cats" were discovered on Mars by the rovers.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
quote:Originally posted by DarkStar

More reason to use Mobil 1 full synthetic gear oil.
The gear oil is only used in the transfer case. The transmission gears receive their lubrication from the engine oil. The shearing action upon the oil in the transfer case is significantly less.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re/emoticons/emotion-2.gifamaged 4th gear & skeptics.I know what I saw & what I was told by tech who did recall.If dealer still has part I'll take pic & post.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
quote:Originally posted by DarkStar

More reason to use Mobil 1 full synthetic gear oil.

Hi Ed: What happen with the Golden Spectro oils?
and by the way after recall don't use synthetic oil until break-ing again those new cylinders rings...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts