RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one receiving scam reply's to my Classifieds? I have received 3 different e-mails saying in broken English that they are interested in my Corbin seat. They state they will buy it thru there shipping agent and would send a certified check. One reply said another person owned them for a car and that person who was located in the Bahamas would send me a check which I would cash and send the buyer the difference but I would have to pay the freight. What a crock of sh--!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yea, it's the new search engine scam. They now search for message board sales that are out of the main-stream and that has built up a community trust, like this one.

Look upon this as an opportunity to have a little fun, if you have the time. For instance, send an e-mail back about what a coincidence, you plan to be in the Bahamas and might be willing to work out some kind of trade, you'll bring the seat with you. "What's your address and I'll stop by." The responses can be downright funny.

The last one on E-Bay was a peach. The guy presented himself as an owner of a retail motorcycle shop, but couldn't call me because he was deaf...come on....nobody else in his "shop" could call me? So I said "no problem" I'll get with my deaf neighbor who has a TTY system for the deaf....haven't heard back yet and I'm still holding my breath.

It does initially pi$$ you off though.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
To state the obvious, this is a common scam.

Up here, it's an organized Nigerian group (no offence to any Nigerians on this site, but I'm just stating facts). They steal mail from boxes or mail trucks in industrial areas, and obtain company cheques (or checks in American spelling). They then try to either buy items, or just solicit people in chat rooms, in order to cash the cheques on their behalf.

They buy a $500 Corbin seat from you, take a stolen cheque, laser out the name of the payee, put your name in it's place, send you the cheque for whatever the amount, usually way more that the purchase price. Then they tell you, Oops, that's the wrong amount. Please cash the cheque at a Money Mart, and send me the difference back.

You'd be amazed how many people fall for this, and even fall for the other version-"I am the son of a Nigerian Prince who was ousted from power. I'm trying to get our money out of the country, so I'll send you a cheque for $10,000 in your name, then you send me $8,000 back, and keep $2,000 for your troubles". Yep, a sucker born every minute......

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
That is why I have it so that only registred and logged in members can contact a seller.

If you put you email address in the description you open yourself up. Nothing I can do about that.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hey can anybody send a check to me? You see I am a Warrior for a inter-national tribe, and we are being overran by Hogs that want our bikes. We are trying to get our money outta the country so if you send me a check I will cash it! The money will go to things like chrome swing arms, and new paint. And dent removals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts