RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put a ad in the classified section advertising my son's JR50 and today i get this email.
quote:My name shannon bircher, i'm highly intrested in buying your (2003 SUZUKI JR50 $700) according to your discription and the price that you will like to sell the goods .also i want you to send me your full name, cell phone number and address,and i will instruct my client in US to send you a certified cashier check. You don't need to worry about the shipment. i have a shipping agent who will be coming for the pick up in your place as soon we are agree.
I will await your futher response as soon as possible.
Regards,
shannon...

i know they used this ad 'cause the two other ads i posted in other forums i put the price at $695. so beware.

BTW it's still forsale, make a great chirstmas present for little johnie, or jane.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Well......On the plus side they are intelligent, I mean look at their grammar........NOT!!

Nice catch and a good heads up. I hate scammers because eventually they will get someone to bite off on their crap. Like someones grandmother. Its pitiful.

Dave

·
Registered
463 Posts
Okay, I can see your point, but can you elaborate on how they will scam you?

How is it going to happen? Are they gonna go to your house? I would never give my info out or even buy something with my account numbers online, but I don't see exactly how they are gonna rob you.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
yeah i dont see how they would scam you since you're the seller. but ive seen alot of sh!t like that on e-bay where the guy sellin it is over seas etc.. with the same lack of grammar..lol and in those scams everything seems to be legit and going fine, they collect your deposit and vanish.

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
I am sitting here trying for the sake of me trying to figure out what you are talking about. Looks like this guy is going to pay you. Either he does or he does not............you hold the goods. If anything should he not worry about you and the product you are selling???????? Clue me in if I am missing something...........

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yea, they give you a certified check from out of the country, It looks good but it can take 30 days for the bank to decide it is no good or fake, while the bad guy has picked up the goods. Happend to a friend of mine a year ago.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Fake certified check.. and the seller is left holding the bag...

Ed, that's easy enough to understand... the first clue to a scam? I'll send my us client... yeah.. ok.. and I'll be at the door waiting..

Call me a cynic if you may, but smell a scam I can..

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
JUST HAD THIS HAPPEN TO ME....ALMOST. I am selling a Cannondale racing bike on eBay...had a guy from NIGERIA try to win the auction with the Buy It Now option - dispite the fact that I didn't allow international bidders.

The scam is this: they sned you the Cashiers check...which as was stated, can take up to 30 days to clear. They include MORE than enough to cover shipping - ex. $400 to cover a $50 shipping bill. They tell you, "I am sending WAY more than enough to cover shipping, you know, so that you know I am serious about buying...when you ship the item, send me back the extra by personal check or cashiers check". They are sending you an international cashiers check, but yours never leaves the country. They have it sent back to a domestic back when they can get your money cleared in 2-3 days. They have your money, and your goods, while you are still waiting for their original Cashiers Check to bounce.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
wow.. that makes me glad the guy buying my bike is wiring it to the bank. dont think i can get screwed as long as i call to verify funds are there unless there is some majical way to reverse that....

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
No, the issue with wiring money is that you have to give them the account number and the routing number - not meaning to panic you, but with that information and a little personal information about you...info. that is on the title of your bike...they can actually TAKE MONEY OUT, as well as put money in.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I must have gotten 15-20 of those while selling my boat on eBay.

We'll send you a check for $1000 more than you are asking to cover the shipping etc... All you have to do is right a personal check to the shipping company. They won't take ours from Nigeria...

Great so I write somebody a check for a grand, I lose my boat and get stuck with a fake "Certified" not from the USA check. Sign me up...

eBay was great when it started, now it's too easy to get screwed...

Sell in the US only and take PayPal. Wait for it to clear, you are all set.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
quote:Originally posted by BartenderSammy

No, the issue with wiring money is that you have to give them the account number and the routing number - not meaning to panic you, but with that information and a little personal information about you...info. that is on the title of your bike...they can actually TAKE MONEY OUT, as well as put money in.

the only acct number given out was my loan acct number.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
DNGrumpy - that doesn't even help now a days. My auction WAS for domestic only and listed JUST PayPal - but STILL, some schmuck ended my auction trying to buy the bike from Nigeria with a cashiers check. I had to relist the whole thing and lost 2 days in the process having to start the auction over. And now, all the sceptics out there that WERE interested in my bike think that it might be some scam that I am running. So I lose again.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thanks fellas. Not that I would d anything like giving my account info out. But it is always nice to know what could happen.

Anybody take a cashiers check for their rswarrior? I will give an extra grand for the shipping!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
ya imagine this, I got the same e-mail and it reads like this with a diffMy name Dennis Hann, i'm highly intrested in buying your (CUSTOM PAINTED TANK $700) according to your discription and the price that you will like to sell the goods .also i want you to send me your full name, cell phone number and address,and i will instruct my client in US to send you a certified cashier check. You don't need to worry about the shipment. i have a shipping agent who will be coming for the pick up in your place as soon we are agree.

I will await your futher response as soon as possible.

Regards,
Dennis...

--