RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My goal is to purchase a battery that fits the stock box, without heating or other modifications.

After reading many battery related threads, I ended up looking at this one:

Scorpion High Performance Battery YT14B-4

Dimensions: 6" L x 2 3/4" W x 5 3/4" H

Actual Weight (lb.): 9.9

Amp/Hr: 12

C.C.A.: 210

OEM Ref: YT14B-4 / GS14B-4

Basically it is the exact same size as a stock battery, with a CCA of 210... instead of 135.

Does any of you purchased this battery? How happy you are with it? What scares me is the Made in China part...

Thanks for the advice.

Floren

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
BatteryStuff dot com has a bad habit of overstating the specs on some of their products. Every 14-B4 I have come across is 135 CCAs and 12amp. If you call them on it, they will cop to the 135, and other more reputable vendors advertise the same battery at 135.

They got me a couple years ago. It wasn't a bad battery or anything, it wasn't a 210 either...

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
That's too bad as it had excellent Features w/ stock size

[*]Scorpion AGM Battery ships charged and ready to install
[*]Maintenance Free Sealed design
[*]No liquid acid, so zero corrosion
[*]Absorbed Glass Mat technology
[*]Resists extreme vibration and heat
[*]Very low self-discharge rate
[*]Extra heavy duty terminal design
[*]Price includes FREE GROUND DELIVERY 48 STATES
[*]This is the High Performance version of this battery offering a respectable 210 CCA.
[*]Finally a High Output battery for your High output vehicle.
[*]Properly charged, these batteries will not vent to the atmosphere, meaning less corrosion at the terminals
[*]ISO 9001 Certified
[*]Extremely freeze resistant
[*]1 Year Warranty [/list]

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
The XTAX 14-bs is from BatteriesPlus and if your bike is stock compression and you don't mind the extra width, it will probably work. As I have stated in other posts (sorry), the world of batteries is overflowing with half-truths and marketing BS as I have found over the last few months. These Companies are probably absolutely correct saying their battery is 260CCA but it may be at 30f or 80f and not 0f. Even if it is 0F, then is it for 5, 10 or 30 seconds loading? It's very tough to find out what they are actually rated at.

The SVR14 in my real world results on my 108 with 10.25 compression pistons workedvery well. None of the BatteriesPlus batteries even come close although my last battery from them was rated at 260CCA....HAH!!!!!! It was more like 160CCA perhaps and then not reliably. I asked them to test it and it alledgedly made 350-400CCA for a second or two at room temperature. Since a battery can lose 60% of its capacity at 0f compared to room temperature then that works out at, drum roll please..........., 160CCA approx. Wow, what a coincidence:}:} The SVR14 then is my real world choice for stock and 108/10.25 comp pistons. It really works well

However, having said all that, I went with a Braille B129 which is much more expensive but also seems to be doing exceptionally well. I can run my Gerbing turned up full-heat until I arrive at my destination and the bike starts just as easily next time. The BatteriesPlus 260CCA could never do that and the dash digital readouts would go blank. I went with the Braille because I am hoping the extra money will pay off over time and we get into some pretty remote places on our long trips so peace of mind for me is very important and I'm willing to pay for it.

So that's what I have found in the real world.........factory numbers be damned:}:}

TECK said:
So far, the only choice for me will be the XTAX14-BS:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts