RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I bought my bike, I realized to first thing on the to do list was the seat. I was rather dissapointed that I couldn't stay on the bike for 1 hour, being totally uncomfortable, and my a** still hurting after I have gotten off. I got to the point were I starting riding on a pillow without the seat being on the bike but wasn't comfortable leaving it parked in the open or were anyone could mess with it. So, I pulled the cover off the seat and started going at the foam with a razor blade and grinder to shape it for more contact area. I didn't take a pictures shaping the foam, I didn't actually think I was going to use it again, but turn out alright.

I noticed that there around 2 inches in the seat pan that is raise right in the tailbone area for the tool kit to sit.

I took the hump out to flatten out the surface area

I cut the bracket that the toolkit bungie hooks tooff:

I turned the bracket around and mounted it back onto the fender. There is one little piece that needs to be bent or cut offso it doesn't scrape into the fender:

The part of the pan that was cut out has the little hook for the rear support. I cut that out, mocked it up to were it needed to be, and the used self tapped screws to temporarily hold it in place. I used flat head bolts and nuts to mount it:

At this point I took the pan and foam to a buddy of mine to do the rest. For the big hole in the pan, he use aircraft aluminum and bolts to fill it.

Here is the final product:

The flames didnt come out quite like I wanted. This is my next project, hopefully I'll have it done in the next couple of years...

Whatcha think??http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5664/sidekh7.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, sorry about that. That is a fiberglass pan for my next seat. Im going to try to do the foam shaping and leather work myself
. We'll see how that turns out.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Jacob .... I think you have big Cojones to take on this type of seat pan modificationand i say that with admiration

Excellent technical write-up and photos too ....very clever

·
Registered
664 Posts
AlanH said:
Jacob .... I think you have big Cojones to take on this type of seat pan modificatio and i say that with admiration

Excellent technical write-up and photos too .... very clever

i 2nd that. Don't think i've seen anyone do a mod like that on a warrior using the stock seat-pan. Nice job

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I have my extra seat cut the same way. I haven't finished mine yet. Nice work!

·
Administrator
29,715 Posts
That would be incredible to see step-by-step pics as you do it, you'd be famous and it would be ground-breaking. Your camera would also be buggered-up I'm sure butwe won't mind (lol). SeriouslyI hope it works out and if it does I'd be on your list for one (but only to fit the stock 2003 configuration of course!). This is exciting stuff, and its also the kind of thing nobody would attempt unless they were interested andexcited by the challenge, and knew they could probably pull it off. From that, I think you can do it.

Jacob said:
Oh, sorry about that. That is a fiberglass pan for my next seat. Im going to try to do the foam shaping and leather work myself
. We'll see how that turns out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Seein' how I got some decent seat time on his scooter, it's night/day difference. Before, there was alot of pressure on my tailbone. It made my ass numb and my back hurt after 30 minutes or so of riding. Now, granted I've only had a couple of hours with the new seat, the pressure is even across the whole seat. I don't understand why Yamaha can't get it right after 7 years of making the Warrior. I mean, you'd have to had sat on a bowling ball all your life in order to be ablesit on a stock Warrior seat and say it's comfy...

·
Registered
989 Posts
By filpping the rear hook, are you still able to get the seat on and off with the p-pad on? Seems like the p-pad would get in the way. Nice modding.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Very clever Jacob, adapt and overcome. I would bet that feels alot better to the old tailbone! Good job guy!

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Cyberdon said:
AlanH said:
Jacob .... I think you have big Cojones to take on this type of seat pan modificatioand i say that with admiration

Excellent technical write-up and photos too ....very clever
i 2nd that. Don't think i've seen anyone do a mod like that on a warrior using the stock seat-pan. Nice job
i'd just want an extra seat available incase i butchered the first one
. i dont blame you one bit for wanting a more comfortable seat, the stockers suck!! i couldnt ride an hour without my a$$ being on fire

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far, I have road an hourand 45 min (123 miles) and it hasnt felt likeI was ever on it.

As far as the passenger seat goes, no, I didnt think about that. Now that I have to slide the seat backwards to take it off, that passenger seat gets in the way. I'll see if I can come up with something. Now to tell my wife that...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Jacob said:
As far as the passenger seat goes, no, I didnt think about that. Now that I have to slide the seat backwards to take it off, that passenger seat gets in the way. I'll see if I can come up with something. Now to tell my wife that...

Worst case you could always get one of those phantom pads that stick on with heavy duty suction cups.

·
Registered
13 Posts
cool idea, I would love to see the fiberglass flame modded seat

have a friend that does alot of fiberglass work (custom auto interiors and overhead consoles for trucks)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I am following your lead. Or other words ripped you off.

I am a fairly large fella, and the 2.5" hump on the back of the seat was killing my ***. So I bought an extra stocky 04 seat to play mad scientist. Just in case this whole thing backfired like a warrior running Samson Shorty pipes with out the AIS blocked.

So far it is coming out great. I have taken pictures of every step and will have a huge DIY thread on it. I will make sure to give you your props for the idea.

I pulled off the cover. Tore off the foam. Dremel tool cut out the huge hump. Laid a piece of Aircraft aluminum on the huge hole screwed it down. Ground the back of the screws off to not scratch the finish on the bike. Bought a cheap camping sleeping bag mat. Laid a piece of that foam across the entire pan with spray adhesive. Then added a couple of layers of the same foam to the crown to add *** support. Used an angle grinder and shaped that type of foam. Then went and bought a 1" thick high-density foam from Jo-ann fabrics. Laid a piece of the foam all the way across the foam. Reshaped this foam. Bought a cheap piece of brown faux croc skin marine vinyl. Tonight I will spray adhesive the vinyl to the crown and staple and trim the backside of the pan. After that I am going to try your method of turning around the bracket for stock mounting. If not I have another ace up my sleeve.

I just recovered my girls purple v-star 650 with a teal blue faux-reptile print vinyl and it looks great.

The great things about this seat.

1.Insanely more comfortable 2 Sit far down in the bike 3. Going to look sweet( like a comfortable potato chip seat. 4. Cheap fix.

The bads: A bit time consuming - I am no fabricating or fixing wizard, but I am guessing the mere mortal like myself I have about 5 hours invested so far.

As soon as I get done I will post the full thread with the step-by-step instructions and Pics. Along with my 52.00 DIY hurricane intake. And yes I found a smaller filter just so everyone stops whining....JK it was huge. Looked like it ate a sportster....

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
Thisis an old thread you revived. Yamaha screwed up the stock seats on the Warrior for sure. At least on the 02 and 03 seat all we had to do was shave the foam to get rid of the hump. Much less complicated fix.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes I know it's an old thread. But hey there are still people out there that might benifit.

I have a 2002 and would like a procedure for "shaving the foam" can you point me to where I can find this info? I'd love to lover the riding position.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts