RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a touch-up tube from color-rite for the correct liquid sliver color. i have filled in the chip so the touch-up paint is higher than the the original paint. i am letting it dry. i have 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. before it sand it down to try to blend it in, i am wondering if am going to screw up the clear coat so much that it won't blend in right. has anyone had success doing this?

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
deerom .... I have with my bike, but it's a custom color that i wasn't able to match exactly but it's worked out fine.

I've used a close matching color by Dupli-Color and their clear coat to finish. My methodology is to 1st clean the area with solvent on the exposed base coat primerand cover the nick with the base color a couple of times if needed as it shrinks. I use a new single edge razor blade to shave the high spots of the base coat and color sand with 2000 wet paper and polish out with 3M polishing compund.

I solvent clean the area again and apply the clear coat in the depressed or shrunk back area. If the nick isn't flush i'll repeat the above using the razor blade, ETC. The finished repair is only visible when in the direct sun light when looking at an angle because i don't have the exact color match.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I usually take the touch up paint and warm it up by leaving the tube in the sun or in a cup of hot water. Don't use the touch up brush!!! Use a tooth pick and dip the pick in the touch up paint. Carefully use the tooth pick to apply the paint. Let dry for 1 day then take some of your wifes clear nail polish to go over the area you just touched up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
if you do nothave easy access to a urethane clearcoat to top coat with....use clear fingernail polish. I've been using it for years Be real careful if you buff any touch up...to much heat will make the repair let go..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts