RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The beast has arrived, but still waiting to clear customs and the flatbed ride to its final destination. Here are some pics of when she was taken away.[:'(]

We need to organize a ride, SOON!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Re: She finally here...(almost)

No wonder you miss her. She's beautiful.

oh I am so missing mine.

I gotta get another one soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts

The best stock paint job yamaha made I think.Nice warrior man.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Spokes said:
No wonder you miss her. She's beautiful.

oh I am so missing mine.

I gotta get another one soon.

Hey, I'm getting ready to ride the beast in AU and I was wondering about the gasoline (petrol), not sure how you say it here. I was putting regular (87 octane) back home. What do you use here? What do I need to stay away from?

·
Registered
741 Posts

It's just called "unleaded", every station sells it.

Then they have the "premium" versions which are higher octane and more expensive.

You can also get an unleaded/10% ethanol mix, usually from a green bowser. I'm not sure what effect that would have on a warrior engine although I did run a tank of it once and didn't notice any difference

·
Registered
254 Posts

As Greg stated, the fuel for our bike is simply unleaded and is the lowest priced and lowestoctane avaliable at 91 - 92.

Premium fuel runs at 98 octane and is of no benefit to a Warrior with stock compression.

Just about all stations offer a middle of the road fuel at about 95.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Forgot about the ethanol mix!

I've heard/read too many horror stories about people running an ethanol blend fuel in a vehicle not manufactured to do so. These problems usually occur after prolonged use and involve deterioration of fuel lines, seals, fuel pump components, e.t.c...

If your owners manual doesn't specifically state that your motor was designed and built to run on an ethanol blend fuel don't touch the stuff.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Hi Boricua,

That is a good looking lady, time to get these parts you got, to good use and get this girl on the road.

Was going to ring you but misplaced your details.

Let me know if I can do something for you.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Flyingdutchman said:
Hi Boricua,

That is a good looking lady, time to get these parts you got, to good use and get this girl on the road.

Was going to ring you but misplaced your details.

Let me know if I can do something for you.

Thanks Andre. I have your number in case I get stuck. I'll probably have her for the long weekend coming up.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

ozwarrior said:

I've heard/read too many horror stories about people running an ethanol blend fuel in a vehicle not manufactured to do so. These problems usually occur after prolonged use and involve deterioration of fuel lines, seals, fuel pump components, e.t.c...

If your owners manual doesn't specifically state that your motor was designed and built to run on an ethanol blend fuel don't touch the stuff.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions on the fuel with ethanol. And I don't want the higher octane fuel because the bike doesn't burn it completely and it creates carbon built up. So the lowest available, without ethanol is 92 octane, right?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

BoricuaWarrior said:
ozwarrior said:

Thanks for confirming my suspicions on the fuel with ethanol. And I don't want the higher octane fuel because the bike doesn't burn it completely and it creates carbon built up. So the lowest available, without ethanol is 92 octane, right?

I don't understand how a higher octane fuel can leave carbon deposits???? The reason that they use higher octane fuels in the first place is because the extra octane rating makes the fuel burn better and cleaner. The only problem with higher octane is that it will run hotter (due to the more efficient burn) and can cause problems associated with that especially with air cooled engines. (hence the reason that you would not use high octane in your lawn mower or whipper snipper). But over all I do not believe there is an issue with it.

In my old Honda (K3 750/4 SOHC)I run 98 Octane and add valve lubricant and it has never missed a beat.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts

G'day Boricua,

When you get your lady take note of what has to happen to get it registered in Qld. I have bought a frame in from the US and need to get it registered over here so any news will help.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Spokes said:
BoricuaWarrior said:
ozwarrior said:

I don't understand how a higher octane fuel can leave carbon deposits???? The reason that they use higher octane fuels in the first place is because the extra octane rating makes the fuel burn better and cleaner. The only problem with higher octane is that it will run hotter (due to the more efficient burn) and can cause problems associated with that especially with air cooled engines. (hence the reason that you would not use high octane in your lawn mower or whipper snipper). But over all I do not believe there is an issue with it.

In my old Honda (K3 750/4 SOHC)I run 98 Octane and add valve lubricant and it has never missed a beat.

From other related topics...
"Octane is the rating of the fuel's ability to resist abnormal combustion due to heat or pressure. Abnormal combustion is defined as any burning that is not initiated by the spark plug. Octane has nothing to do with the fuel's ability to make power other than the fact that, properly selected, it allows the engine-builder the use of high-compression, aggressive cam timing and any other trick that elevates cylinder pressure. The power potential of gasoline is related directly to its density. Density is determined by the grade and quality of the crude petroleum, the refining process, and whatever chemical additives are included before shipment to the retailer."

"The only mods that will require higher octane fuel are: Blower, Supercharger,and High Compression >10:1. Changing the exhaust, doing BAK or anything else besides bumping up the pistons or shaving the heads will not effectively raise combustion pressures. Timing is actually adversly affected by using the incorrect octane fuel, and causes a decrease in performance and gas mileage. Do a search on octane ratings and you'll be suprised what you find. The money you save will easily go towards that next mod or a few cases of some real fine beverage, especially if gas prices keep shooting up."
Since high octane in a low compression motor will not burn completely - you will get a lot of carbon deposits (as mentioned earlier) if you run it all the time. Also, do a search on this topic. You will find lots of info to support this as I did. The bottom line is you'll get the same results from regular fuel as you would with premium, unless your bike in pinging. It would help get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

Cheers

Interesting reading.

Helps to do your homework doesn't it?

Now all I need to find out is the difference between a "Blower" and a "Supercharger" because I always thought that they were the same thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts