RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i had to change the rear tire on my chopper as my metzeler was finished and had a huge flat section that had formed down the middle of the tire (like all metzelers seem to do) Every time I leaned the bike over in a curve I had a little shimmy when going from the flat section to the edge. Nothing dangerous just surprising the first few times.

I decided to replace the metzeler 300 tire with a Shinko based soley on price. The metzeler was the most expensive 300 followed by Avon and then Shinko. I figured even if I got a bit less mieage out of teh shinko the price difference was too much to pass up

I have just got the tire scrubbed in and so far am loving it. No hesitation when leaning over and I lean over a lot Had a 1/8 inch chicken strip on the metzeler and scrapped the pegs from time to time. It is nioce not to have the flat band shimmy any more

The tread on the shinko is very deep and is of the sport bike tire style. I read some comments on the sport bike tires that the shinko stayed rounder longer and got good tread life. From a tread point of view I am very happy.

The shinko however appears to be narrower than the Metzeler. When I loook at the chopper from the rear it just does not look as wide as the old tire but this could be an optical illusion as the tire is rounder and does not have the flat band in the middle. I also seem to have a bit more sidewall clearance with the fender.

All in all for the money I paid I think I got a great deal however if you are looking to go from a 280 on your warrior to a 300 then I would go with one of the other brands of tires as the Shinko would not be a lot wider than the metzeler 280

I have heard theat Vee rubber has now come out with a 300 tire which may be worth looking into for my next one.

BTW shinko is the old yokohama brand. Also the tires i got is not made in china but in south korea

·
Registered
787 Posts
thanks man, good to know. I need to order a new rear this winter. I'll be trying shinko also, what model did you pick?

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
Good info Christo, i am going to try the 300 shinko tire to replace my 280 Metzler in hopes that it will not be to much trouble to make it work with my 280 swingarm.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the Shinko 011 Verge Radial. It might fit Gilly but not sure. it depends i guess on how much room you have in your swingarm and then the other consideration would be your fender. Like I said it seems to me when I look at it that it is smaller than the 300 Metzeler but I cant say for sure. I will measure the width of it on the wheel later today from the widest section

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
I bought the Shinko 011 Verge Radial. It might fit Gilly but not sure. it depends i guess on how much room you have in your swingarm and then the other consideration would be your fender. Like I said it seems to me when I look at it that it is smaller than the 300 Metzeler but I cant say for sure. I will measure the width of it on the wheel later today from the widest section
Thank you, that would be a big help knowing the width. I have about a 1/4" clearance to work with as far as the swingarm width, i have the BMS 280 swingarm with the hump on the right side. I run a 1 1/5" front pulley so i have room to move the rear pulley out enough to clear the belt using a little thicker spacer. I have been running the Metzler since i went 280, so it will be nice to be able to run a different tire back there.

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
I measured the tire at its widest point and it is 300mm
hope this helps
Thanks Christo, that's about a 1/2" difference, which i don't think i can make that work. I could get away with 1/4" clearance but 1/2" is to much. A 280 is 11.20" and the 300 is 11.80". I appreciate your trouble for the measurements.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Christok, where did you buy the swing arm for your tire? Is it hard to install? Did you take it to a mechanic or you did it your self? Do you have pics?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Christok, where did you buy the swing arm for your tire? Is it hard to install? Did you take it to a mechanic or you did it your self? Do you have pics?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 300 is on my chopper. Personally on my warrior I run a 330 on a 5 inch extended swingarm that I bought from BMS. My rim was done through KyleNV and there is a lot of work as I had to convert to chain drive as well as make sprocket spacers front and rear as well as front sprocket supports as it is over 4 inches outwrds of where the stock pulley is located etc. not a task for the faint of heart

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
This is the thread I have been looking for! The warrior I am building right now is going to have a 60 spoke rim wrapped in the 300mm Shinko 011. I have been trying to find an affordable swingarm to mount this beast but those listed on ebay are in excess of $1000 for just the swingarm and axle.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I cannot speak to wide rubber like the 300 - 330 chopper tires, but I can tell you that to a man, every guy running Street Fighter (street tire, no wheelie bar class) is running a Shinko. The Stealth Radial was always a super sticky tire. When they developed it in soft and ultra soft compounds they stuck like glue even with turbo and nitrous bikes. The Shinko Hook Up was like having a velcro strip all the way down the quarter mile and was the first really usable tire for 200 mph capable bikes. For bikes that make BIG power, traction is often an issue. In some cases you will lose time and drop speed because the tire is TOO sticky.

Sometimes the brand is scoffed at, but that's only from people who have not heard of them or used them.

Again. This doesn't mean that their tire in your style is going to be perfect for you and your bike. It's just to say they they can and do produce an excellent tire for specific applications. They are worth looking at.

Personally I will keep their 240-18 005 Advance Radial in mind when the rear tire on my Fat Boy goes belly up. Unfortunately they don't make a 160-18 for the front - but if they make one soon enough I will try a set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts