RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace stock Dunlop’s ASAP, have 9500 miles on the stockers.

Very interested in the shinko tires, but I have several questions, looking for help in selecting the tire combo which might be right for me...

Shinko 005 Advanced sizes 130/70 R18 and 200/50 R17
Question 1: has anyone actually run this tire size up front in a shinko?
Question 2: how is the clearance?
Question 3: has anyone been able to get at least 4000 miles out of the 005?

Shinko 009 Raven sizes 120/70 R18 does not exist! 200/50 R17
Question 1: has anyone run a Verge 011 up front with the Raven 009 tire in the back?
Question 2: If you have does the bike handle different in your opinion?
Question 3: has anyone been able to get at least 4000 miles out of the 009?

Shinko 011 Verge sizes 120/70 R18 and 200/50 R17 or 190/50 R17
Question 1: has anyone actually run this tire combo?
Question 2: is the 190 actually wider looking then the 200?
Question 3: If you used this combo, does the bike handle different in wet weather?
Question 4: has anyone been able to get at least 4000 miles out of the 011?

Keep in mind I have the stock Dunlop’s at 9500 miles, so you can tell my riding style is not aggressive.

Yes, I have asked these same questions but in varies other post; maybe this will bring me better luck, looked about 4 hours through several threads and still could not actually find a specific answer.

Now that I have asked 10 specific question all in one post, maybe I could get better assistance. I'm only interested in the SHINKO's not any other brands, so if anyone with SHINKO experience can help I would really appreciate it...

Thanks again, sorry if I’m blunt, just really need to purchase tires ASAP...

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Tyres are sometimes a touchy subject.
Its all about personal choice.
I saw you have had few replies - so decided to post after all.

MY PERSONAL opinion - is I wouldnt even go there.
I belive in sticking to quality tyres rather than "experimenting" to keep the price down.
It's not snobbery - to me using cheap tyres is a false economy.

There is a big following for Avon Storm tyres ... now replaced by Avon Storm II.
They offer good performance and the duel compound construction gives longer than average life.

I have seen posts here where other people ARE using Shinko tyres so I'm suprised you have had no help.
It has been determined over the years that a 190 rear tyre wears MUCH fastter than a 200.
The width of the narrower tyre pulls in at the rims, raising the center profile and causes premature wear over the smaller contact patch.

Can I ask why you are determined to use Shinko tyres?
Are you getting them super cheap or something?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I ran the shinko advance an only got 4000 miles out of it. Same as the stock. I currently have the storm 2 an have almost 7000 on them an they still look good. I'm a believer in the storms! Proof don't lie.

·
Administrator
28,418 Posts
About the rear tire . . .

I've read dozens of posts where people have run Shinko tires and commented, I'm surprised they don't come up on a forum search. Nearly everyone who has posted agrees the rear tire's life is only 2500~3000 miles of normal riding. One guy said he ran them for the racetrack because they were inexpensive and would need to be replaced every day anyway. From that I gathered the tires might be speed rated enough for the Warrior. But we know the tire has the thinnest tread-depth of any other 200mm tire offered.

I ran Dunlops for the first few replacements because back then there were just a couple available options and they were about the same. I've run Avon Storms since that time, and have saved money because they last so much longer. It now costs $125 a pair just to install tires, let alone the price of the tires themselves. When that cost is considered, it changes the cost accounting dramatically.

If you run a Shinko rear tire, after a few thousand miles I hope you'll post your findings here: http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-technical-discussion/173513-warrior-rear-tire-technical-detail.html

Shinko 009 Raven Radial 200/50ZR17
. Tire Width: 200mm = 7.87"
. Tire Diameter: 632mm = 24.88"
. Tread Depth: 5mm = 0.200" (under 1/4")
. Rim Range: ~6.25" recommended
. Capacity: 853 pounds
. Weight of Tire: 15.2 pounds

Shinko 011 Verge Radial 200/50ZR17
. Tire Width: 200mm = 7.87"
. Tire Diameter: 632mm = 24.88"
. Tread Depth: 6mm = 0.235 (under 1/4")
. Rim Range: ~6.25" recommended
. Capacity: 853 pounds
. Weight of Tire: 16.0 pounds

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
When I have time later today, I'll post up some pics of my 011 Verges with 2,000 miles on them. They are still in great shape. I talked to a Shinko rep last year at J&P's open house, and he led me on to the 011's. For the low price, silverdeere, and I were willing to try them out. All I can say is if you're talented enough to outride the tire's capabilities, my hat's off to you. I'm a spirited to agressive rider, depending on the roads I'm on, and I think the tires stick like glue. I've ran Bridgestones, Dunlops, and Avons...I like these tires best, so far.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
In my opinion, if it ain't broke don't fix it. 9.5K on the stock Dunlops is excellent mileage. I run the OEM Bridgestones and no issues. On Shinko's website both of the rear tires (200/15/17) that I looked at were substantially more expensive than what I paid for the Bridgestone OEM. So unless you can get the Shinko's cheaper, why go with an unknown entity?

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
When I have time later today, I'll post up some pics of my 011 Verges with 2,000 miles on them. They are still in great shape. I talked to a Shinko rep last year at J&P's open house, and he led me on to the 011's. For the low price, silverdeere, and I were willing to try them out. All I can say is if you're talented enough to outride the tire's capabilities, my hat's off to you. I'm a spirited to agressive rider, depending on the roads I'm on, and I think the tires stick like glue. I've ran Bridgestones, Dunlops, and Avons...I like these tires best, so far.
I consider that to be a good recommendation coming from you!
Knowing your riding background I trust your judgement Matt and look forward to a milage report some time.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Here's my $0.02

Shink tires use to be shite, but in the past years they have been working to improve their quality and remain in the niche of budget tires.

I have run them on sportbikes(005's & podiums), and have had decent results. The advances 005 are decent and very soft. They are not as grippy and as confidence inspiring as say dunlop q2's or PP's but they are also half the price typically.( I would not run the 005's on the warrior, way too soft for the heavy bike and big torque. I woudl expect low mileage)

In addition I think a lot depends on the riding you do. If you're a weekend warrior that lives in the flat straight lands and doesn't really push hard in the corners I think the harder compound Shinko will suit just fine. But if youre the warrior riding guy trying to set Deals gap records you would probably prefer a softer stickier tire. But if you go into it knowing that they might be slightly less sticky and the front may want to push a little more than the tire costing double they are fine.

My best luck with tires on the warrior in stock sizes were Avon Storms(2). In fat tire sizes I really likes the Conti race attack customs in 240, Very soft and reasonable priced. I would not hesitate to try the verges on a warrior to see the results. But I was never trying to set any land speed records on my warrior, but just enjoying the ride.

You go to any local track(strip or road) and a good number of guys are running Shinko with good results. Just a matter of expectation and cost.

This is were 40 guys will say something to the effect of..Your life is worth more than 150.00 saved on tires. Or SHinko is crap even though they have never tried them. Or my favorite I had a buddy that crashed cause of them...

Let the flaming begin...

But consider this...Any shinko tire is probably better than the tires that came of the vintage bikes and they worked just fine. Yes yes yes I know they did not have warriors in the 60's and 70's but follow me on this. This last year while doing a CLASS Reg Pridmore day at Gingerman Raceway he made a comment that stuck with me. He pimps out Dunlop tire as they are one of his sponsors but states, "People need to learn how to have confidence in their tires. Any modern day radial tire is worlds better than the shoes blokes and I use to grease around the corners in 76'-78' to win championships"(of course in a british accent). I know this cause I was whining about my stock qualifiers on my Aprilia, and I was made to be the example boy:eek:....

-Z

·
Banned
1,864 Posts
1) CLASS Reg Pridmore day ....great class and a good guy. 74 years old and still fast, amazing.

2) Tire wear is so variable depending on road conditions, weight, style of riding, maintenance, on and on. So there are only two rules for tires.

Rule Number One - find a brand and model type that gets you good results and fit your needs and performance expectations.

Rule Number Two - read rule number one, and ride on the wrong side of the road if you spell the word tires as tyres.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I consider that to be a good recommendation coming from you!
Knowing your riding background I trust your judgement Matt and look forward to a milage report some time.
Cheers.
Thanks, jarv :)...concider this the 2K report, lol.

Verge 011, with approximately 2,000 miles...

Front:

Rear:

And you may say that there is still about 3/4" of chicken strips there...He can't be riding too aggressively. My bike is lowered, and it has Raider pegs. The pegs grind very easily if I'm not hanging off the side to keep the bike more upright in corners. I've been very lucky at not grinding hard parts.

My R1 on the other hand gets full tire usage...This is a shot of my rear Michelin Pilot Power, awesome tires BTW. These tires have about 2 track weekends on them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Had the shinko...3000miles tops....do your self a favor and buy AVON....love them and on my second set...nothing better in any weather condition

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I going for it, Chapparal Motorsports out of California, can ship me the Shinko's 011 Verge to my door for $207.

Can't beat it right now, I just need a year out of these tires then I'm going PHAT!

I'll post my results on the forum for everyone to monitor...

thanks for the feedback...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wednesday she gets the new rubber for $282, Shinko 011 Vergie, going with the 190 rear.

great deal thats drive out price, can't beat this guys prices!

wish me, luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
just food for thought, rockymountainatv.com has the shinko verge 190 rear tire for our bikes at $123 with free 3 day shipping. that is where i buy my tires. i also run the raven 009 on the rear and i couldn't be happier. good tire especially for the price.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I run the Shinko 011 Verge on my bike and I will be buying these tires again and again and again. I bought them off ebay for $199 shipped to my door for the pair. I've put on about 4,000 miles and they still look brand new with a ton of tread. I'm a light footed driver and do most of my driving in town. At this rate I should get 8-10k out of this set. I would highly recommend them. I bought them from the ebay store sumofallparts or their website www.sumofallparts.net

good luck!

·
Administrator
28,418 Posts
Eric, how are you man? How's everything there in my old stomping grounds!

I run the Shinko 011 Verge on my bike and I will be buying these tires again and again and again. I bought them off ebay for $199 shipped to my door for the pair. I've put on about 4,000 miles and they still look brand new with a ton of tread. I'm a light footed driver and do most of my driving in town. At this rate I should get 8-10k out of this set. I would highly recommend them. I bought them from the ebay store sumofallparts or their website www.sumofallparts.net

good luck!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts