RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so yesterday after my 60 mile jaunt back home from work I noticed 2 things.

1. My holeshot supertrapp loosened up and started to back off the header. So I started messing with that and got that situated.

2. My rear tire is almost at the wear bars. So far, this is my 4th rear tire that has been on this bike. First one was that shitty Bridgestone, then I have only been running Avon Storms, both the regular(back in the day) and the Ultra 2. Been very happy with the performance, it just seems like I still dont get the mileage some of you guys get out of them. Bike has 21.5k on the clock and almost on my 5th tire. Ugh...

So after trying to find my best deal on a new Ultra 2 ($186 moto x), I figuired I would poke around at some alternatives. Could not find a whole bunch of feedback on these tires mounted on Warrior's, so I guess I'm one of the few guinea pigs. I have one comming for a nice cool price of $142.00. Thats almost a 45 dollar difference!! If I can get about 5-6K outta it, I will be ahead of the game. Since they are both dual compound, I should expect similar wear:confused:.

I will report on the handling characteristics of this tire and general wear. It probably will be mounted in the next couple of weeks. I have been using the bike a lot lately, and I want to have a new tire ready to be mounted.

·
Registered
538 Posts
What in world do you guys do to tires? I ride mainly suburbs and highway but like to get out on the country roads when I can. I have 8k+ on my storm 2's (stock size) and it still looks great (almost new)
on it's third season. Granted I lay off the burnouts.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm at roughly 5500 miles on my storm 2 rear. And it is getting close to the wear markings but I "should" be able to get the rest of the riding season out of it. I ride mainly curvy mountain roads and interstate.

Sent from myPhone

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
I will report on the handling characteristics of this tire and general wear. It probably will be mounted in the next couple of weeks.
Looking forward to your review of this tire.

What in world do you guys do to tires? I ride mainly suburbs and highway but like to get out on the country roads when I can. I have 8k+ on my storm 2's (stock size) and it still looks great (almost new)
on it's third season. Granted I lay off the burnouts.
12 rear tires in 12 years for me. I don't know how some people get more out of them. I switched to dual compound 190's about 5 years ago and can finally get about 4.5k out of a tire. Before that, I would go through one every 2-3k miles (just a little over 1k miles out of a 210 metzler once). It's just the cost of doing fun.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, I go through a tire a year. Period. No burnouts either. On a side note, I wa disappointed in my Shinko. Going back to an Avon.
Hey leader, did you have the dual compound verge, or just the regular one. I believe the new dc rubber only came out last year?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
12 rear tires in 12 years for me. I don't know how some people get more out of them. I switched to dual compound 190's about 5 years ago and can finally get about 4.5k out of a tire. Before that, I would go through one every 2-3k miles (just a little over 1k miles out of a 210 metzler once). It's just the cost of doing fun.

Sang what tire are you using? im in the same boat, cant seem to get more than 2-3 k out of a tire.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I just bought a pair of shinkos a few months ago. They are the 11s, single compound.

I'm sure that riding style, road condition, and tire pressure have a lot to do with wear. I know for a fact that I pre-maturely wore out a front tire because I did not stay on top of air pressure in it. It ran low, and riding in Fl heat killed it in a month or so.

I now make sure I check tire pressures regularly and keep my rear at 36-38 and the front at 36. I ride solo so I don't need the extra pressure for a passenger in the rear.

Good luck and keep an eye on the tire pressures often... like every week!!! I found I had a slow leak somewhere even with new Michelins and new valve stems!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Just put on my new Verge 011 yesterday 129.99 shipped My old 011 was showing belts 4772 miles on it.Wish i had known about the new verge 016 would have given that one a try

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have PR2's front and rear, 190 in the back. got 8500 on them and the both have at least half tread life still on them.

ETA: No...thinking a little more, I've got 5k on them, not 8500. Still doing pretty good!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It arrived already. Wow, talk about quick shipping! Cool my backup is here, its only a matter of a couple of weeks... I will report on how it feels against the Avon. I really like the Avons, lets see how these shinko's do

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know it took 2 years for this review, and here you go. I just changed it out for another Shinko. Got it shipped from Jake Wilson for 134.88. If you look at the original start of this post, it was almost 2 years to the day.
I got close to 8k on that Shinko and I ride like an azzhole. Believe it or not, I thought it actually handled better than the Avon Ultra's. But of course it was comming off a super worn out Avon with belts beginning to show. I could have have gotten another 500 miles outta this past Shinko, but I didnt want to push my luck. No cords, but a profund flat spot in the middle.

I know many are on the Avon bandwagon, and I did really like my Storms, but the Shinko's are about 50 bucks less and you will not be dissapointed. I NEVER GOT ALMOST 2 YEARS OUT OF ANY REAR TIRE PERIOD. Super good bang for the buck.

BTW, it does handle very well in the wet with no butterflies in the stomach. I rode in a downpour for over an hour 2 weeks ago and was still confortable crusing at 70-75 on the New York Thruway.

Save some $$, give it a shot

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I still have Avons on the Warrior. The Concours is harder on tires than the warrior and because Avon has become so expensive, I now have a shinko on the front. It has a little over 1k on it and looks like new. I will see how it does since I record mileage on all my tires for both bikes. The big Kawasaki handle great on the stinko.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'm pretty much on the fence between Shinko and Avon for the next set. I liked the Avon Storm 2's and have no complaints. I had a Shinko 777 on a Magna that REALLY impressed me. It also showed me more money doesn't mean a better tire.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im still running the Avon storm ultra for now. As you know Shinko doesn't make the dual compound for the front in our size at this moment 😣

·
Registered
650 Posts
I Have the Shinko Verge on the front (great tire IMO) and the tread pattern matches the Avon 3D Ultra Rear ... You would not know they were made by different company's

1 - 18 of 18 Posts