RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm currently riding a Suzuki Bandit 1200 and I'm shopping for a cruiser. I'm strongly considering buying a 2005 Warrior. This may be a silly question but my Bandit is oil cooled. I know the Warrior is air cooled. I'm wondering if a really hot day effects performance. I'm also wondering will sitting still in the high temps damage the bike. How much heat can be felt by the rider in these conditions? Lastly, what kind of stuff should I check for when shopping a Warrior? Any problems I should watch for?

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
my first warrior was an 05. it was a great bike. air cooled bikes have been around a long time. they are made to deal with hot days. I have never had any issue related to heat. as far as what to look for? by 05 there weren't many recalls left. I would just look at the general condition of the bike. make sure the gauges, lights, and such work. oh and don't forget the headlight doesn't come on until the motor is running. you might scroll through the classifieds on the forum. most of those bikes are known to the members here and there wouldn't be any surprise about its condition. some cool sleds have come through this forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my first warrior was an 05. it was a great bike. air cooled bikes have been around a long time. they are made to deal with hot days. I have never had any issue related to heat. as far as what to look for? by 05 there weren't many recalls left. I would just look at the general condition of the bike. make sure the gauges, lights, and such work. oh and don't forget the headlight doesn't come on until the motor is running. you might scroll through the classifieds on the forum. most of those bikes are known to the members here and there wouldn't be any surprise about its condition. some cool sleds have come through this forum.
Thanks for a speedy reply! Did you find that the bike radiated an uncomfortable amount of heat at times?

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Does it get hot yes , but its nothing to crazy.
I live where it gets 120 in the summer months and I still ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
i have been stuck in stop and go traffic or at a train / bridge for a while and yeah it gets pretty dang warm on your legs....but its really not too much worse than being on my zrx in the same conditions which is very similar to your bandit as im sure you know.

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
I just got back from riding down to Key West. I was more concerned with the sun beating down on me more than the heat of the bike. So far no problems with the heat and humidity of South Florida.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My previous bike was a Bandit also, i am now the proud owner of a 2002 Warrior. Also live in south Florida and i always make sure that my oil is in good condition and i use high quality oil. So that gives me peace of mind. When stuck in traffic or at a light there is a good amount of heat coming off the motor but that just lets me now it doing what it was designed to do. Just recently road down to Marathon in the keys about a 2 hr drive, and had fun keeping up with my friends Triumph speed triple R.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Welcome aboard from Northern New York State! The RSW does not put out any more heat than any other bike. As some of the guys have stated; use a high quality motor oil of the correct weight and you should be good to go. The thing about the Warrior is that Yamaha pretty much built a bullet proof sled with a fun factor that pegs ones senses when enjoying what the road throws at you. That covers everything from a two-mile long straight-a-way to the trickiest of mountain curves. Stay within your abilities and the Warrior will reward/compliment you with the complete power cruiser package.
When considering a purchase I would use the advice given by evilrider as it is sound. You did not specify what type of mileage the RSW in mind has on the ticker, but you should be able to tell if it was beaten or babied, garage kept or left on its own out of doors in the elements.
I say you will not regret purchasing one. If you do, post up some pics and use this forum for any and all questions/issues/experiences that you and the Warrior come up with. Ride Safe!

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
I rode a VTX 1800 that had a radiator & fan. When the fan came on, you could feel the heat being blown off the engine. Way hotter than the Warrior. My answer is there is no performance change during hot weather, and the heat off an air cooled bike is less, not more, than otherwise.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I also ride with shorts a bunch of times and I have no problems with it. But everyone's different.
How many times have you broiled the inside of your right knee stepping off the bike?
But to the o p, I don't think the bike rides especially hot. You'll feel it in stop and go traffic on a hot day but the slightest bit of airflow and your fine. I rode air-cooled full dressers that were worse on a hot day because you just didn't get enough airflow.
And if you're comfortable riding in shorts it will be fine just watch out for that pipe off the rear jug when you stepping off the bike.

As far as the bike handling the heat it will be fine just make sure you've got your idle set properly at 950 or you don't get enough oil flow to keep things cool inside the engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts