RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of picking up a used 2002 Warrior. I'm not too familair with the history of problems areas or the recalls. Are there any problems in picking up a warrior that has not had the recalls done? OR the other way around, should i look at anything in particular on a warrior that has had the recall work done? What are the recalls addressed?

Also are there any thing i should pay careful attention to when checking out a used warrior.

Thanks in advance for the information

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Search under the topic "total recall". A lot of information is stored there. IMO look for one that has them all complete. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
If you find one that has not had the recalls done, you can get them done at no charge. Also many of us have had the Yamaha dealer do additional work at no charge or reduced charge while they were working on it anyway. I bought a 33 tooth pulley and the dealer installed it at no charge during the CPS recall work. Others have had tranny mods done at no charge while the tranny recall was done. It could work to your advantage.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you could find one without the tranny recall done that would be a great find in my opinion. It would give you some bargaining power with the seller. When I bought mine I asked if the recalls were done which he didn't know about and I hemmed and halled about buying and the seller dropped his price for fear that I wouldn't buy the bike.

Search about the tranny recall and you can see what others have done when they had the tranny recall done.

Good Luck and Let us know what you get.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I'm going to go the other way...if you find an '02 without the tranny clip recall done, avoid it. If the person that owned it didnt care enough to have that fixed, I dont think he would have cared about regular things either.JMHO
I would think you would be hard pressed to find one that didnt have that done to begin with, since it was a major deal as far as safety concern.
The other recalls against an '02 are washer under gas tank, TPS and the latest CPS. Those recalls may not have been done and as stated by the others just run it in and have Yammi pick up the tab.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I'd have no trouble picking up a used Warrior re-call or not. To me it would be a bonus if it WASN'T done. Dropping in a set of HC pistons costs next to nothing and is the biggest bang for your buck performance wise. Also if I had it to do over again I'd put a Road Star 5th gear in while it's torn down. This is a very roboust platform. Just because the previous owner didn't do the re-calls doesn't mean the bike was abused.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
i will agree with a few here that if the recalls were not performed you might be able to score a better deal and just because the recall wasnt done does NOT mean the owner took lesser care of it as i know this one fellow who is also a member here that is afraid to let these local dealers operate on his bike and end up butchering it, he would drive to the other end of the state to have the work done if he knew his baby would be taken care of and he does baby the bike. i would just try to get as much history on the bike and do a very good visual inspection and maybe take a knowledgeable friend with you to check it out and as always when buying used you are taking a chance no matter what but rest assure if you do purchase the 02 you will then own the fastest year /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Meatball

I'd have no trouble picking up a used Warrior re-call or not. To me it would be a bonus if it WASN'T done. Dropping in a set of HC pistons costs next to nothing and is the biggest bang for your buck performance wise. Also if I had it to do over again I'd put a Road Star 5th gear in while it's torn down. This is a very roboust platform. Just because the previous owner didn't do the re-calls doesn't mean the bike was abused.

+1

·
Registered
558 Posts
Wish I would have read more on this board when the tranny recall was done I would have liked to get pistons and the roadie 5th. Then again, when mine was done they stripped a motor mount bolt, found that when I did the AIS block, took the lower fairing and said there was never one on when they got it, noticed that a week after I got it back, dented the **** out of the front fender (they did replace that after a verbal fight). Second thought maybe it was best they just did the re-call alone[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Good luck finding a good deal! Look long enough it's out there.

·
Registered
288 Posts
welcome to the forum, always have a friend there, they see all the things your tunnel vision misses. good luck with the new purchase, either way you will be in love after hearing it start, and taking that first ride. there is nothing better.

Steve

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I would spend some time looking at the various galleries here and see what mods you like. Do a search on dyno runs and see what different combinations of upgrades do to the powerband. Mine does not have that high HP but I have 100ft/lbs at 1700rpm. That is exactly what I wanted. If you do find an 02 without the recall then you have the advantage of negotiating a lower price perhaps and then getting the dealer to add ??????? 110+cams, vBAK, PC111 and pipes etc etc. All depends on your budget. Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all. Well i made the purchse and am getting used to the new ride. I'm very pleased thus far and know this will be a valuable resource!!! I'll hve to update my gallery and profile.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to every one on this forume that posted stuff about recalls on the 02's.I found one about six months ago at a local dealership with 600 miles on it and whent back last week to see if it was still there.To my astonishment it was so I negoshiated a good price.That was befor i knew about the recalls.I have not yet put a deposit on it and dont think the work will have been done but I told them I wolud be back tomorow to lay some cash down.This one may be a bargin of a life time and if not oh well still can't turn it down.It was love at second sight.Thanks again to all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts