RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading quite a few praises for the Shorai lithium iron battery specific for the Warrior. My question is, does anything such as the rectifier/regulator have to be upgraded to be compatible with voltage/amperage of these batteries? Thanks.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,878 Posts
I did not use the foam pads. I sometimes tuck a couple tools in the gap. They are in a flat material sleeve, vertical so can get at them. But most of the time I leave it be. The big POS NEG cables seem to keep the very light weight battery located.

·
Premium Member
4,603 Posts
I had to go back to my original post on the Lithium Ion battery to see when I installed it, turns out it was summer of 2015! 7 years and still no issues with it. Pretty freaking good I would say...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, I figure this is worth a try. Had an inexpensive battery put in by the previous owner just before I bought the bike two years ago. Have had intermittent starting hesitation, whereby the dash gets cleared out and the trip odometer get reset. This has been going on for the two years that I've owned it. This last time the bike wouldn't stay running for more than one or two seconds before shutting off. Happened three or four times then no power at all. A week before I changed out the starter relay from the original 2005 for an aftermarket one. Started good for about a week then the above symptoms happened. Figure that PowerSonic battery has had it's two years, time to replace it. Towed the bike to Cochise Moto here in Sierra Vista where it is in the queue to get diagnostic work done,
Anyway, lots of opinions on what the intermittent starting issue is and how to fix it. But, this battery in it drew down until no power existed at all. Time to upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,526 Posts
A week before I changed out the starter relay from the original 2005 for an aftermarket one.
Just a heads up that aftermarket starter relays are known to not function correctly in Warriors for very long. Some get a few weeks. Some only get a few starts. They are wired differently and it is widely known in the Warrior community that this is one component that needs to be OEM. It costs a bit more, but no one has found an aftermarket relay that will function for long.

I'm not discounting the need to replace the battery; that is absolutely a consideration as well, but the starter relay needs to be OEM.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a heads up that aftermarket starter relays are known to not function correctly in Warriors for very long. Some get a few weeks. Some only get a few starts. They are wired differently and it is widely known in the Warrior community that this is one component that needs to be OEM. It costs a bit more, but no one has found an aftermarket relay that will function for long.

I'm not discounting the need to replace the battery; that is absolutely a consideration as well, but the starter relay needs to be OEM.
I've read that on the forum. What I'm still trying to get square with is, once I release the start button, doesn't the relay then go back to its resting position? Since it has connected the battery to the starter and the starter has fired up the bike, why is it prone to failure with an aftermarket part? Not enough of a tech to understand the role this switch has after ignition.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,526 Posts
I've read that on the forum. What I'm still trying to get square with is, once I release the start button, doesn't the relay then go back to its resting position? Since it has connected the battery to the starter and the starter has fired up the bike, why is it prone to failure with an aftermarket part? Not enough of a tech to understand the role this switch has after ignition.
Honestly haven't investigated. Maybe someone else that has will chime in. All I know is I thought I had a relay issue and bought one. I got one start off it. Then I replaced my battery but had no start. I put the stock relay back in and it worked as it should so I still have my OG OEM relay in and the aftermarket went into the trash.

From what I've read, the aftermarket relay is wired like the Road Star one, not the Warrior. Not sure why Yamaha did them differently, but that's the world we're living in so just go with OEM. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly haven't investigated. Maybe someone else that has will chime in. All I know is I thought I had a relay issue and bought one. I got one start off it. Then I replaced my battery but had no start. I put the stock relay back in and it worked as it should so I still have my OG OEM relay in and the aftermarket went into the trash.

From what I've read, the aftermarket relay is wired like the Road Star one, not the Warrior. Not sure why Yamaha did them differently, but that's the world we're living in so just go with OEM. ;)
Okay, I still kept my original one. If that's a weak link, guess it goes back in. Otherwise, a new oem is about hundred dollars. Can't live without 'em. Thanks .

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Okay, I still kept my original one. If that's a weak link, guess it goes back in. Otherwise, a new oem is about hundred dollars. Can't live without 'em. Thanks .
I would also look into the positive & negative cables and make sure they are in good condition all throughout. Also make sure they are tightly connected with good connectors. Also look at the ground to make sure it is tight and making good contact.

Good read......

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would also look into the positive & negative cables and make sure they are in good condition all throughout. Also make sure they are tightly connected with good connectors. Also look at the ground to make sure it is tight and making good contact.

Good read......

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good stuff
Here's a head scratcher! Got the Warrior back today from the dealer ( Cochise Moto ) and all that apparently was wrong was that the main fuse had come loose?! The 30 Amp fuse was replaced and the battery was fine according to the tech. Hmmm, I hate to be a skeptic but that seems too simple.
Anyway, I still plan to install the Shorai battery, which is now fully charged and reinstall the OEM original starter relay. Do some short rides and see how things go. I'll let you know how this sage plays out. Thanks for all your input guys.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,878 Posts
Don't assume a relay is oem just because it existed. It could have been incorrectly replaced by prior owner. Be certain to compare carefully against a know oem one, or a picture with annotation. Member alanh has often posted a very good annotated picture.

I have borrowed that image from one of his other posts hopefully he will not mind too much:
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Audio equipment Font

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, just installed the battery today. So far, no power drain, but I'm reserving judgement until there's a few more start/stop trips. reinstalled to relay after YouTube Partzilla tutorial on how to bench test finally sunk in.
Pics show size of PowerSource SLA vs Shorai lithium at one pound, six ounces.
Relay pics show OEM vs aftermarket. The one pic with the mirror image relay shows the first one which I sent back. The second pic relay show the OEM on the right and the aftermarket one on the left.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, just installed the battery today. So far, no power drain, but I'm reserving judgement until there's a few more start/stop trips. reinstalled to relay after YouTube Partzilla tutorial on how to bench test finally sunk in.
Pics show size of PowerSource SLA vs Shorai lithium at one pound, six ounces.
Relay pics show OEM vs aftermarket. The one pic with the mirror image relay shows the first one which I sent back. The second pic relay show the OEM on the right and the aftermarket one on the left.

So this ends my 2 year saga of intermittent starting issues. Breakfast run this morning and the bile started every time, no power draw downs. Seems the culprit was a mismatched, cheap SLA battery, which apparently was good enough to hold a charge and pass a load test but wasn't a match for what this bike requires on start up. Goes to show, sometimes it is the simplest things. I had 2 weeks of running this now and it hasn't missed a beat. BTW, I did install the Shorai BMS01 charger, ran it for 45 minutes, and increased the resting charge from 13.3 to 13.75 V. Highly recommended! Thanks to all for chiming in with all the experiences you've had.

·
Registered
2003 Yamaha Road Star Warrior
1,194 Posts
When I got my first Warrior ( Bumblebee ) I had starting problems and it ended up going back to the shop a few times. Each time it was the starter solenoid and it was replaced. Then one day no start no nothing so back to the shop. I would tell the mechanic that when I did get the bike started it sounded like a chaff cutter, but I did say it could be just my imagination as I’d never owned a Warrior before. So part of their process was to start at the starter motor. They found out very quickly that the internals of the starter motor was shot to pieces ( photos in the gallery ). Once that was replaced I never had another problem with starting. All I’m trying to say here is what might be obvious isn’t always the case.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I got my first Warrior ( Bumblebee ) I had starting problems and it ended up going back to the shop a few times. Each time it was the starter solenoid and it was replaced. Then one day no start no nothing so back to the shop. I would tell the mechanic that when I did get the bike started it sounded like a chaff cutter, but I did say it could be just my imagination as I’d never owned a Warrior before. So part of their process was to start at the starter motor. They found out very quickly that the internals of the starter motor was shot to pieces ( photos in the gallery ). Once that was replaced I never had another problem with starting. All I’m trying to say here is what might be obvious isn’t always the case.
Yes, it's possible that increased starter resistance is one cause of a power draw down. I'm not sure what a chafe cutter is but it probably is a noisy, metallic sound. This 05 has just under 20K on it. I'm not hearing anything unusual on turn over but I'm keeping an open mind. Right now I'm just enjoying a little victory time.

·
Registered
2003 Yamaha Road Star Warrior
1,194 Posts
Yes, it's possible that increased starter resistance is one cause of a power draw down. I'm not sure what a chafe cutter is but it probably is a noisy, metallic sound. This 05 has just under 20K on it. I'm not hearing anything unusual on turn over but I'm keeping an open mind. Right now I'm just enjoying a little victory time.
Here in Australia back in the day wheat farmers grew wheat ( obviously). Once the wheat was harvested they would harvest the wheat storks to make hay. Wheat farmers who also had dairy cows would us a chaff cutter to cut the straw down to approx 1/2” in size for feed for the cows. The chaff cutter would run off a wide belt via a pulley on a tractor. My Uncles chaff cutter was run off an old steam engine and it would make a **** of a noise. Hence makes noise like chaff cutter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here in Australia back in the day wheat farmers grew wheat ( obviously). Once the wheat was harvested they would harvest the wheat storks to make hay. Wheat farmers who also had dairy cows would us a chaff cutter to cut the straw down to approx 1/2” in size for feed for the cows. The chaff cutter would run off a wide belt via a pulley on a tractor. My Uncles chaff cutter was run off an old steam engine and it would make a **** of a noise. Hence makes noise like chaff cutter.
ok, sounds like what I remember as baling straw for bedding material for cows, pigs, etc. Yeah, long cutters working off the tractor's PTO. Did make some noise-metallic. No, I don't hear any of that with my starter...yet. Glad we could work out what that term meant. Lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts