1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Like this.....

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/10-warrior-pics-vids/167750-slightly-modified-v-h-big-shots.html#1192060

Just saw them, don't worry about no stinking rust. Go riding and get some carbon on them, I think that will keep 'em from rusting.....

Been a great mod, I get to use a torque wrench on my rear axle nut.....
Are these yours? They don't look like the ends were cut off they look like they were shortened. 2 reasons, the ends look rolled and it looks like the logo is stamped on the top pipe. Pretty sure this would be gone if they were cut.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Are these yours? They don't look like the ends were cut off they look like they were shortened. 2 reasons, the ends look rolled and it looks like the logo is stamped on the top pipe. Pretty sure this would be gone if they were cut.:rolleyes:
Oh yeah, they are mine. I also cut the heat shields down so I could use them.

Still on the bike but now the tips are black.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm....I like the shortened look a lot. I think with my Christok fender I just got, it would compliment that nicely as well. To cut them, do you just bring it into a muffler shop or something that would have a large saw so as to get a nice, even cut on both pipes or do you wing it by hand? I don't know that I trust myself to wing it....but maybe I could try and if it doesn't turn out well then bring it in and have a shop recut the very end and clean it up?

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Hmmm....I like the shortened look a lot. I think with my Christok fender I just got, it would compliment that nicely as well. To cut them, do you just bring it into a muffler shop or something that would have a large saw so as to get a nice, even cut on both pipes or do you wing it by hand? I don't know that I trust myself to wing it....but maybe I could try and if it doesn't turn out well then bring it in and have a shop recut the very end and clean it up?
I cut them with a hacksaw. The inner pipe and the heatshield. Mark your lines, go carefully and you should be fine.

Keep in mind that I cut my heatshields short which required the aluminum 'garnish' rings I made to cover the area where the muffler tape meets the heat shield.

I also had to modify my baffles to fit in.
Had to drill new holes to mount the baffles in the pipe.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good deal. I'll have to research this more and more before I do the deed. :) This is one of those "measure twice, cut once" kind of things. If I do it wrong, it could be a $500 mistake, so I want to make sure I am prepared fully. Never worked on an exhaust before, so how baffles are installed, where to get them, what different baffles do what....that's all foreign to me.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Good deal. I'll have to research this more and more before I do the deed. :) This is one of those "measure twice, cut once" kind of things. If I do it wrong, it could be a $500 mistake, so I want to make sure I am prepared fully. Never worked on an exhaust before, so how baffles are installed, where to get them, what different baffles do what....that's all foreign to me.
Also for your consideration:
the muffler tape will allow MORE heat towards your leg than the stock heat shields (OEM or V&H)
I don't mind it all but just thought I would share.

I am getting pipe from 1256day to make another exhaust for my bike and everything has a price....lol...just not sure what I would want for them at the moment....

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
just did mine this winter....cut them just before where the mounting plate is on the back side of the pipes. I chose to cut right through the quiet baffles as well. I removed my shields cause, well, i wanted to wrap them. I love the sound not that it changes a whole lot....and through on a couple of turned out tips....love em!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Sidebar: GC, you removed the heatsink from your rear brake....See the picture, you can see how much heat it removes from your rotor. Did you notice any difference in performance...

We will now return to normal broadcasting....lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I did the same as Gary. But without the heat shields it was waaaay too hot so I cut them and painted them with VHT paint and put them back on over the wrapping. Much better and I think it looks cool as well. I might even cut them some more after I get RSW dream exhaust done. He he he......

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
same here with the heat sinks.....I have used them but really like the look without them....willing to ride a little hot for the look I am after...

far as the back brakes....haven't noticed any issues with the removal of the heat sink.....I probably don't drive hard and fast enough to really test it though.... :)

I did the same as Gary. But without the heat shields it was waaaay too hot so I cut them and painted them with VHT paint and put them back on over the wrapping. Much better and I think it looks cool as well. I might even cut them some more after I get RSW dream exhaust done. He he he......

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure where I land on the header wrap look. I think it depends on the bike. Some it looks great, some not so much (personal opinion). I think I'd rather keep the heat shields on for now...but who knows? I'll have a better idea once my tins are on.

I might do away with the heat sink on the rear rotor as well. I don't use my rear brake much (physical thing for me). that said, I could do away with it with little/no issues. I was wondering about that! Cool!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts