RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been a lot of talk about side mount plates and whether they can be vertical or horizontal. I just want to throw the following out for the fun of discussion!!! Currently in Maine the law requires that the plate be fixed horizontallyto the rear most portion of the rear fender. With that said, all brand new Harley Davidsons Nighsters and now V-rodswith the side mount plate would be illegal. So if you have been stopped or questioned during inspection for your side mount plate, remember all the lovely new Harleys out there that they are passing with flying colors. Maine is currently working on changing the law because of that! I will be going with the side mount plate if either my new 240 or 260 (depends on fundage!!!) won't clear my current mount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
Interesting.Most states have a law requiring plates to fixed horizontally and many are attempting to update the law to include this requirement. I think Florida just banned plates fixed horizontally.


In Va, unless you are being azz orthe cop is in a rotten mood, you normally do not get bothered.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
4,401 Posts
If the vehicle comes equipped fromthe factory, is it still against the law?? What did virginia do with the corvettes and caddys that had factory, built in radar detectors?? where do you find the plate info at??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
parkinglot said:
If the vehicle comes equipped fromthe factory, is it still against the law?? What did virginia do with the corvettes and caddys that had factory, built in radar detectors?? where do you find the plate info at??

What year did Corvettes and Caddy's come with FACTORY INSTALLED radar detectors?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,646 Posts
Mr Noize II said:
parkinglot said:
If the vehicle comes equipped fromthe factory, is it still against the law?? What did virginia do with the corvettes and caddys that had factory, built in radar detectors?? where do you find the plate info at??

What year did Corvettes and Caddy's come with FACTORY INSTALLED radar detectors?




I had an 85 fiero with a factory installed radar detector. or so the person i bought it from (original owner)said, dont know why he would lie about it and if it was an aftermarket job they did a DARN good job of making the install look factory.


I got pulled over once in VA for tinted windows(had radar detector on)and the cop said oh yeah im going to take your radar detector too and to hand it over. I told him it was a factory job and I had no idea where the actual "detector" was but I showed him the switxh on the dash and showed him where the sound came from.


he seemed like he hadencountered this before. he wrote me a ticketfor using the radar detector and the tinted windows. and said to me that in the state of VA a factory radar detector must remain turned off.


got to court showed the judge that I had removed the tint. he asked if I had kept my radar detector turned off from the time I got my ticket until my court date. I said yes sir and he let me off both charges, still had to pay court costs though which was about $40 at the time ( now i think its about $60 in ffx county) and off I went. if they were blufffing me it worked because I hardly used that radar detector anymore in VA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
SmaShitUp(mike7202) said:
Mr Noize II said:
parkinglot said:
If the vehicle comes equipped fromthe factory, is it still against the law?? What did virginia do with the corvettes and caddys that had factory, built in radar detectors?? where do you find the plate info at??

What year did Corvettes and Caddy's come with FACTORY INSTALLED radar detectors?




I had an 85 fiero with a factory installed radar detector. or so the person i bought it from (original owner)said, dont know why he would lie about it and if it was an aftermarket job they did a DARN good job of making the install look factory.


I got pulled over once in VA for tinted windows(had radar detector on)and the cop said oh yeah im going to take your radar detector too and to hand it over. I told him it was a factory job and I had no idea where the actual "detector" was but I showed him the switxh on the dash and showed him where the sound came from.


he seemed like he hadencountered this before. he wrote me a ticketfor using the radar detector and the tinted windows. and said to me that in the state of VA a factory radar detector must remain turned off.


got to court showed the judge that I had removed the tint. he asked if I had kept my radar detector turned off from the time I got my ticket until my court date. I said yes sir and he let me off both charges, still had to pay court costs though which was about $40 at the time ( now i think its about $60 in ffx county) and off I went. if they were blufffing me it worked because I hardly used that radar detector anymore in VA




Interesting ... Why would you buy a Fiero ????





Anyway, I doubt that GM had this as a factory opition in the 80's. I have seen some sweet custom installs that look like factory or are completely hidden. I just did a search and the only thing I found related was this topic. But maybe they did.


And I know that VA use to impound cars with built-in radar dectors. I was once followed because of my radar detector in the Commonwealth but the officer could not figure which car had the detector. He was riding on the shoulder of the Interstate and was about 2 cars away before he turned around. I could see him looking into each car then going to the next one. This was after the State police started using radar dector detectors.


I wonder if my Bel Vector still works. MaybeI can install it on the Warior.


Sorry for jacking this thread
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
this might be a stupid question but seeing as how i have never lived in a state where having a radar detector is illegal i wouldnt know but how would a cop even know you have a radar detector unless it was hanging from your windshield or you told him you had one in the car???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,646 Posts
southboundchicken said:
this might be a stupid question but seeing as how i have never lived in a state where having a radar detector is illegal i wouldnt know but how would a cop even know you have a radar detector unless it was hanging from your windshield or you told him you had one in the car???




they have radar detector..detectors
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,819 Posts
I heard of the first ticket for vertical tag in pensacola yesterday. First offence, $1500. That has to be the most ridiculous amount of money for an improper tag mount. It was a crotch rocket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Try looking in your state statutes for the requirements. I just got a ticket for it in az. The law here doesn't spell it out but the judge I had was a pr1ck so the way he interpreted it left me with a $150 fine plus I had to get it corrected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
It's the lawyers who run the countries remember......more laws, more fines.


Here is what they want over in the UK.



MSVA Testing Standards Explanation IM 10
REF No.
001
Details Of Enquiry:

Some custom machines have rear number plate mountings on the side rather than
on the rear of the bike. Is this acceptable?Answer:[/b]
If a vehicle is presented with a side mount it will need to have a matching mount on
the opposite side of the machine. This is to comply with visibility requirements for rear
registration plates. Any lamps (rear position, stop, registration plate) would also need
to be duplicated.
Answer Given By: MSVA Technical Date: December 2003


Further Action:





I wonder if the *** Turpins (traffic police) over here would mind if we split our plates Haha.


http://i34.tinypic.com/noaryh.jpg


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,923 Posts
AMA has the laws for the states on their web site. As far as Tennessee as long as its visible from the rear and illuminated. Mine is not illuminated but since it sticks out straight behind on the left side vertically any autos behind light it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
In dectecting signals, many of them leak a frequency that can be detected. Most of the new high end detectors are not detecable.


I bet you the same company made both technologies.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top